Water at your Home (filtration?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBQ Mikey

Sous Chef
How do you treat your water?

Drink it from the tap, filter, or buy bottles?

I use a Brita filter pitcher and change the filter every month or two or when I notice a dip in quality.

I use a Britta pitcher, too, but only for the water I use to make coffee. It's tap water for everything else - maybe that says something bad about my priorities. lol

We used to use Brita, but then tasted the water right from the tap and decided it tasted great on its own so now we just use tap.

Yep, most tap water tastes just fine to me and my family. But we live in an area with very very hard water and it seems to clog up my coffee brewer overnight. The Brita is less expensive and way less trouble than running vinegar through every week and it does seem to keep the calcium build-up from happening as frequently. Does anyone else have this problem?

Tap water here for everything also. I do keep a few ice cubes made from distilled water for when on rare occasions I want some ice in bourbon.

Tap water, but our tap comes from our own well. We do treat it a bit for acidity and it is just naturally too hard. So we have the treatment gizmos in the basement. But that is the only way we can get water out here.

The well is over 500 feet down. And it is the best water I have ever tasted.

we drink and cook with bottled water. i haul home 30 gallons at a time from the supermarket. it's roughly 70 cents per gallon.

we used untreated tap for everything else. i was going to get a reverse osmosis system to treat our tap water, but we keep planning on not being in this home much longer.

Tap water for everything but coffee. The well water here is very hard--I like it (some don't), but, if I don't filter it, the coffee maker clogs up.

buckytom said:
we drink and cook with bottled water. i haul home 30 gallons at a time from the supermarket. it's roughly 70 cents per gallon.

we used untreated tap for everything else. i was going to get a reverse osmosis system to treat our tap water, but we keep planning on not being in this home much longer.

Seventy cents per gallon sounds like a pretty good price. It's costing us close to $1 per gallon at BJ's for Poland Springs. Delivered we've been quoted about $1.50 per gallon for 36 gallons per month of Poland Springs.

I filter my water through 90-plus feet of sand, hardpan, and a couple inches of topsoil. Yep, I have a well. The water is absolutely wonderful, but a little hard. I don't have a problems with calcium scale in any of my appliances or on my pots and pans, or even in the toilet bowl. But it does tend to gum up the works on one of my temperature compensating shower faucets (I have 3 bathrooms in this home). I have to shell out about 90 bucks to replace one that I broke while trying to dissasemble it, so that I could clean off the scale deposits. Some day, I should really get a water softener (heavy sigh).

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

it's good to see so many people using tap. here i use tap water treated with brita, sometimes just straight tap.

What I find funny is when people buy Dasani and other similar waters thinking they are getting a much better water for themselves. Those are just bottled tap water. You could get the same exact thing from your kitchen sink for free.

:) I use only tap at home water comes from a well and is really good and really cold.I take my Brita pitcher when I travel because some places the water either doesnt taste good or is over clorinated.My job in Texas the water does not appeal to me so I use my Brita.

We have well water in our town and it does not taste great. We use supermarket spring water for drinking and coffee/tea and baby bottles.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom