What are your favorite summer ice cream drinks from when you were young?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Growing up, Mom and I liked making root beer floats or brown cows (Coke), either of which required good vanilla ice cream - preferably "French Vanilla". However, my very favorite fountain drink ever has been a chocolate phosphate. It's basically good quality chocolate syrup poured into a soda glass followed by a powerful addition of seltzer water under pressure. Dad and I liked them so much that Dad bought a hand-held soda syphon so that we could make them at home! (My Daddy loved :heart: me.) It is nothing like an egg cream...which I found out the hard way when a server in a CT restaurant tried to convince me was similar. :sick: If I try getting another one up here, I'll have to order an egg cream minus the cream. :LOL:

Hmm, we don't own a Soda Stream. I wonder if those would work for making chocolate phosphates...

Anyway, what were your favorite summertime ice cream drinks when you were young? And even now when you're not so young...

Here's one you may not have heard of and as far as I know, it was invented by my Mom who loved buttermilk.

She'd mix equal parts of buttermilk and lime sherbet together for the most delicious treat. I use a blender, but she didn't.

I'd never drink a plain glass of buttermilk, but there's something about it combined with lime sherbet that makes it the most wonderful tangy summer refreshment!

I haven't thought about it in years, but now I have to have a tall frosty glass of it.:yum:

My favorite was always the frappe. I know that name isn’t well known outside of Massachusetts. It’s milk, syrup and ice cream blenderized. Usually chocolate or vanilla. I no longer drink frappes or eat chocolate ice cream.

When I first read the title of this thread, my first thought was Orange Julius! :yum:

Good memories associated with that, too - when my brother and I were kids and mom took us to the beach, we'd always stop and get an icy cold, frothy, Orange Julius.

(edit: oops, no ice cream in it but there's dairy....does it still count?)

Last edited:
We used to have ice cream spiders, just ice cream (vanilla) and coke poured over it. You guys prolly call it something else.

Russ

Forgot about Orange Julius Cheryl!! I loved them too, so they count. ;):yum:

I've tried to copycat them at home, but they're never exactly the same as in the Mall stores. I'm thinking the white powder I've seen them use is powdered egg white, or maybe a combo of powdered milk and powdered egg white to get them all frothy the way they do.

Dang, the Mall is 15 miles from here. I want one bad!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Julius#History

Last edited:
When we summered up at the lake a few eons ago, Mom would take us for lime soda floats at the drugstore in town.

Forgot about Orange Julius Cheryl!! I loved them too, so they count. ;):yum:

I've tried to copycat them at home, but they're never exactly the same as in the Mall stores. I'm thinking the white powder I've seen them use is powdered egg white, or maybe a combo of powdered milk and powdered egg white to get them all frothy the way they do.

Dang, the Mall is 15 miles from here. I want one bad!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Julius#History

Good link, Kay. Back in the day (the '60's), I think they may have used whole eggs or at least egg whites. Gosh...I had forgotten all about Orange Julius until CG started this thread! Next time I go to my daughter's in LA county, we'll need to go to a stand. :LOL:

If Orange Julius counts, I'm all over that. I make them at home with whole egg and heavy whipping cream. The stand ones in the mall pale in comparison, they are too thin. Never was much of an Ice Cream drink fan. The odd chocolate malt as a kid.

Boy Scout bug juice, especially grape

Kool Aide

Root beer floats

Sun tea (iced)

Lemon or lime ice water

Fresca soda
(my mom only bought it during the summer. I was amazed when I grew up and found out that you could buy it anytime)

Girl Scouts call the orange jug "bug juice". :LOL:

When I first read the title of this thread, my first thought was Orange Julius! :yum:...(edit: oops, no ice cream in it but there's dairy....does it still count?)
Orange Julius is certainly welcome, Cheryl! I should have changed the thread title since a chocolate phosphate has no ice cream in it. When I worked in a mall, my two biggest vices were mere steps away in the food court: Orange Julius's and DQ Blizzards. :yum:

My favorite was always the frappe. I know that name isn’t well known outside of Massachusetts. It’s milk, syrup and ice cream blenderized. Usually chocolate or vanilla. I no longer drink frappes or eat chocolate ice cream.
You're right, Andy. Everywhere else calls it a milkshake. Except that in Massachusetts, a milkshake is chocolate syrup in milk, shaken not stirred. Or what most everyone else calls "chocolate milk". I know English, but I still haven't figured out Massachusian yet. :LOL:

The Difference Between a Milkshake and a Frappe

Ooh, you reminded me of Egg Creams on the way home from Rockaway Beach.

There were no eggs nor cream in Egg Creams, but the rock jetty's at Rockaway beach were both dangerous, and a place a dozen and often more kids in the family could play almost all day. Crashing waves, slippery rocks, rip currents: what wasn't fun about avoiding that to find crabs, clams, and stuff washed up in the rocks?

I honestly never liked most ice cream drinks, other than milkshakes. I occasionally go to Dairy Queen for a Strawberry shake -- with real strawberries.

I know this is in the non-alcoholic section, but Liberty Burger makes some really awesome "adult" milkshakes. They taste amazing, and give you a subtle, but pleasant buzz. The Lebowski is really good.

http://givemelibertyburger.com/grub-suds/

CD

Last edited:
I don’t have any specific memories of ice cream drinks and summers. My dad liked “malted” occasionally, but never made them at home, and while they were a rare treat, they were never season-specific, as Southern California really doesn’t have seasons.

I do remember mom buying those big cans of sweetened fruit punches and juices, like Hi-C, and then mixing them all together. She served this to all the neighborhood kids when my friend and I put on plays in our backyard. They came to be known as “Mother’s Mixies,” and they were very much a summer thing, as we only put on the plays when school was out. No ice cream in them, though.

However, my very favorite fountain drink ever has been a chocolate phosphate. It's basically good quality chocolate syrup poured into a soda glass followed by a powerful addition of seltzer water under pressure. Dad and I liked them so much that Dad bought a hand-held soda syphon so that we could make them at home! (My Daddy loved me.) It is nothing like an egg cream

So, what’s the diff between a chocolate phosphate and an egg cream? Aren’t the ingredients identical? The only egg creams I’ve had (I think maybe a total of three) were at a New York Jewish deli, the name of which escapes me, and at Canter’s in L.A. No eggs, no cream. Just chocolate syrup and seltzer. After all the hype Mom and Dad gave it, I kinda thought “meh.”

Last edited:
Well Joel, there was a link describing an "egg cream" right there in my OP. It's the word "egg cream" in blue letters with the underline. ;) However, since you missed that, the difference between an egg cream and a chocolate phosphate is milk. A chocolate phosphate is chocolate syrup and seltzer water. An egg cream adds milk to those two ingredients. No egg, no cream...but it does have milk :ermm:. Blech.

Well Joel, there was a link describing an "egg cream" right there in my OP. It's the word "egg cream" in blue letters with the underline. ;) However, since you missed that, the difference between an egg cream and a chocolate phosphate is milk. A chocolate phosphate is chocolate syrup and seltzer water. An egg cream adds milk to those two ingredients. No egg, no cream...but it does have milk :ermm:. Blech.
You know, I did click on that link, but the milk thing just totally eluded my mushy brain! Mea culpa.

Back
Top Bottom