What are your favorite summer ice cream drinks from when you were young?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No milk for me.

I was born in 1949 so just sneaked into the beginning of the Welfare State. Babies and under 5s got free government issue concentrated orange juice to be diluted with water at point of service. I remember it as delicious. I was quite put out when I hit 5 and didn't get it anymore.

Once I started school, aged for and a half, we got 1/3 of a pint (ie approx. 7ounces in UK measurements) of free milk at morning break. I don't like milk at the best of times but this was delivered early in the morning and without refridgeration it was warm and well on the way to being sour by 10.45am. The battles I had with our class teacher! She once made me sit in front of the class until I drank the milk. I didn't. Then she threatened to make me stay there after school until I drank it. I still didn't. Mother was furious when she arrived to collect me at home time and after the dressing down she gave the teacher I was never subjected to the milk again! Still dislike milk unless it's in things such as cereal, custard or rice pudding.

We had a similar "fight" over butter beans (aka lima beans in the US, I think) but that's another story.

And people wonder how I turned into the stroppy cow I am now!!!:LOL:

We had a similar "fight" over butter beans (aka lima beans in the US, I think) but that's another story.

Ugh! Lima beans. Never shall they pass these lips!

It’s interesting to note that humans are the only animals that drink milk after their infancy, and the only animals to drink the milk of other animals. And don’t start with memes of cats licking cows’ udders! Milk is actually not good for cats; cheese is not good for rodents either. Better to bait your mouse and rat traps with peanut butter. They like that a lot more, apparently.

Ugh! Lima beans. Never shall they pass these lips!

It’s interesting to note that humans are the only animals that drink milk after their infancy, and the only animals to drink the milk of other animals.

Joel,

"Herder ants, as their name suggest, tend to aphids — the little green bugs that drink plants’ nutrients and are considered pests by every farmer on earth, except for their own six-legged keepers. Ants love the sugary substance aphids exert and treat the bugs as their dairy cows."

https://modernfarmer.com/2014/04/meet-earths-oldest-farmers-ants/

Joel,

"Herder ants, as their name suggest, tend to aphids — the little green bugs that drink plants’ nutrients and are considered pests by every farmer on earth, except for their own six-legged keepers. Ants love the sugary substance aphids exert and treat the bugs as their dairy cows."

https://modernfarmer.com/2014/04/meet-earths-oldest-farmers-ants/
What is the sugary substance? Is it a substance that specifically nourishes its own young, or is it just waste? Although they treat the ants like cattle, they are not actually consuming milk.

What is the sugary substance? Is it a substance that specifically nourishes its own young, or is it just waste? Although they treat the ants like cattle, they are not actually consuming milk.

Well, that's because aphids don't produce milk ;)

It's called honeydew and it's a sweet secretion of the aphids that the ants consume - just like milk is a sweet secretion that humans consume. Remember that cheese is basically preserved milk and people around the world eat a lot of cheese and other dairy products. Milk is a highly nutritious food that provides protein, calcium, B12, water and other nutrients people need.

People do a lot of things other animals don't. I don't get the argument that there's something wrong with that.

Last edited:
Well, that's because aphids don't produce milk ;)

It's called honeydew and it's a sweet secretion of the aphids that the ants consume - just like milk is a sweet secretion that humans consume. Remember that cheese is basically preserved milk and people around the world eat a lot of cheese and other dairy products. Milk is a highly nutritious food that provides protein, calcium, B12, water and other nutrients people need.

People do a lot of things other animals don't. I don't get the argument that there's something wrong with that.
I’m not making an argument, I just thought it noteworthy. I just find it interesting that only humans consume milk after infancy, and that only humans regularly consume the milk of other animals.

For years , and still today, I make smoothies for the kids ( and myself). Usually a mixture of frozen strawberries , crushed pineapple, a banana, that cream of coconut coco goya stuff, some ice and a little juice of some sort to get the right consistency. Occasionally Ill throw other fruits in that are laying around ( mango, berries ...).

Although not ice cream still a good summer treat.

For me, in the past I an remember the root beer floats

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom