"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 08-19-2014, 09:46 AM   #11
Master Chef

I once had a delicious thing made with lime sherbet and grape juice. Not something you would normally think would go together but it was wonderful. Somehow, I always forget about the combo and never make it myself. This thread immediately brought it to mind.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:24 AM   #12
Master Chef

So what flavor ice cream would you use with a Dr. Pepper, maybe cherry?

And what float would you add bacon bits to? I;m thinking that there are limits to that - "Everything's better with bacon" idea.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:34 AM   #13
Wine Guy

I guess I'm decidedly old school, but for me the ideal float is A&W root beer with a scoop of real vanilla ice cream. And because I'm overly picky, I have to open the root beer a day in advance so it's just slightly flat. Nothing else will do.

And no bacon, please.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:53 PM   #14
Senior Cook

An old-fashioned root beer float with quality vanilla ice cream is still my favorite. However, I'll give a nod to my grandparents' favorite: 7-Up with vanilla ice cream. This is back when most soft drinks were made with REAL cane sugar and there was a decided difference in taste.

Slightly off-topic but doesn't anybody ever make a genuine "chocolate malted milk shake" anymore? There was something special about the addition of malt.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:57 PM   #15
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiklitmanfan View Post
Slightly off-topic but doesn't anybody ever make a genuine "chocolate malted milk shake" anymore? There was something special about the addition of malt.
My dad always made those when we were kids. I don't think I've seen the malted milk powder in years.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:54 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiklitmanfan View Post
An old-fashioned root beer float with quality vanilla ice cream is still my favorite. However, I'll give a nod to my grandparents' favorite: 7-Up with vanilla ice cream. This is back when most soft drinks were made with REAL cane sugar and there was a decided difference in taste.

I do, I do. I add malted milk powder to my shakes, though I rarely make shakes anymore. (If my body liked them, I'd have one every dinner meal. I love malts, as we called them.)

I even like just plain cold milk with malt powder. But you have to make it with a special, precise technique to get it smooth. First, you have to add the malt powder to an empty, dry glass. Add a tbs. of milk and stir into a paste. Add another tbs. of cold milk, and stir until you have a smooth syrup. Slowly add more milk while stirring energetically until the glass is full. It's now ready to drink.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:46 PM   #17
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Black cherry soda and vanilla ice-cream - the best!
Old 08-19-2014, 05:48 PM   #18
Head Chef

Dr. Pepper and vanilla ice cream. With a cherry on top.

Just had one this weekend with ice cream made with my antique Alaska Hostess freezer.

Chief, Cherry ice cream would be good but I'm old and set in my ways so I'll use vanilla with the cherry on the top.

Unless I make some cherry ice cream.

Then all bets are off.

I do love to every now and again put a scoop of vanilla ice cream into a nice hot mug of dark roast coffee.

Would you call that a float?
Old 08-19-2014, 09:27 PM   #19
Master Chef

Carnation Malted Milk | NESTLÉ® USA

Carnation still makes it and I find it at WalMart. Not everyone carries it but it is available. We like the chocolate and when we make shakes it's always malted.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:04 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
Iced coffee through a soda syphon, coffee ice cream, or dulce de leche ice cream.
That's my favourite type of float as well.

Tags
oats