"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 10-08-2006, 06:54 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Thumbs up

My mother used to drink it. Yuck!!!

But it DOES help make great-tasting pancakes, biscuits and cakes like German Chocolate Cake!!

~Corey123.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:24 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

I love it, I may be a little weird but I find that drinking it with something sweet (like a piece of pie) or anything that has an amount of sugar in it makes it taste so good with the buttermilk! Maybe it's just me, but hey you guys should try it out sometime! :)

Old 01-24-2007, 01:58 AM   #13
DC Grandma

I never like milk..DH loved it. His family in N.C. always crumbled biscuits in milk or even cornbread. I do like buttermilk. I liked it better years ago when it really did have real butter in it.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:43 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I think that the reason that works so well in baking, especially cakes, is because it has levening qualities which help the baking powder and soda along - to give lighter taller cakes.

But if all you use it for is for baking, which I do, you CAN buy it in powder form. Use water as the liquid.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:48 AM   #15
Head Chef

When I was a child I can't remember which classic children's books inspired this longing to try butter milk, Laura Ingalls Wilder maybe?, anyway, I wanted to try buttermilk so badly (my mother never used it so it was not something we had around) eventually my wish was given in to, I remember the anticipation as I watched it poured into the glass, I loved how it looked so much, and I greedily slurped a mouthful before realising I hated the stuff, lol! I have since used it ofcourse, for cooking and baking it is simply wonderful, but I have never tried drinking it again.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:22 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

I love good cold buttermilk....used to drink a lot of it...However now it seems my tummy does not tolerate it well..Which is strange..I eat jalapenos like M&Ms..drink Tabasco with no ill effect...go figure..
Like others have mentioned..it is excellent for baking. My DW makes a butter milk cake that will cause you to slap yo mammy!! Then again there is Uncle Bob's World Famous Buttermilk chicken...words cannot describe!
Old 01-24-2007, 10:34 AM   #17
Executive Chef

I love buttermilk, always have. Drink it, cook and bake with it. It's what i use for oatmeal! Also like all cheeses, fish, (even anchovies), organ foods, (yes liver and kidney) etc...I like the strong savories. I do not have a great liking for sweets or sticky things like fruit pies or syrup.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:46 AM   #18
Master Chef

I love buttermilk - in fact, have a quart in fridge right now. However, it's SO unfortunate that what the stores carry don't compare to what you used to be able to buy directly from dairy farms.

I very fondly remember a childhood family vacation where we stopped for lunch at a roadside stand in front of a huge dairy farm, that was at least partially sponsored by, I believe, "R & W Rootbeer". Anyway, you placed your lunch order & the drink choices were root beer or fresh buttermilk. Regardless of which one you chose (I, of course, got the buttermilk), it came in a huge thick ice-frosted glass mug. You ate/drank in your car & of course (way back when most people were still honest) were expected to return the mugs to the stand.

The buttermilk was thick & rich, & actually had small lumps of butter floating in it. I've never ever seen or tasted anything like it since. While it was probably a heart attack in a glass, I always remember it - lol!!!
Old 01-24-2007, 10:59 AM   #19
Executive Chef

actually it is lower in fat than whole milk
Old 01-24-2007, 11:03 AM   #20
Senior Cook

I love it with cornbread.

later