"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2018, 01:31 PM   #1
Head Chef

Why Kombu Cha?

When I lived in Japan, kombu was just big pieces of dried kelp used to make broth, and kombu cha was just another variety of Japanese tea, like ban-cha.

Lately, Iíve been seeing blogs and ads and recipes touting the benefits of kombu cha, and how to culture it and feed it and grow it, itís become the new sourdough! Whatís up with this? Is it really that beneficial? Is culturing it an art? Most importantly, does it taste good, and is it worth the trouble?

Old 03-15-2018, 01:37 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I think it's just another food fad...

roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:40 PM   #3
Master Chef

Kombucha has been popular for some years now. IMO its not a fad, since its benefits are real.

Its main benefit is as a probiotic. Its also an antioxidant.

It tastes a bit sour and odd... a bit fizzy. I don't mind it and drink it once in awhile.

But I make water kefir at home, which does much of the same for you and tastes much better.

Read the book THE ART OF FERMENTATION
Old 03-15-2018, 01:53 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Kombucha has been popular for some years now. IMO its not a fad, since its benefits are real.
I'm talking about the mega-sudden popularity here.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:10 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I'm talking about the mega-sudden popularity here.
Its not been mega-sudden, really. Especially in LA! LA is sort of the epicenter of this kind of stuff.

Its been popular here for 6 years at least. You find it everywhere
Old 03-15-2018, 03:07 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
When I lived in Japan, kombu was just big pieces of dried kelp used to make broth, and kombu cha was just another variety of Japanese tea, like ban-cha.

Lately, I’ve been seeing blogs and ads and recipes touting the benefits of kombu cha, and how to culture it and feed it and grow it, it’s become the new sourdough! What’s up with this? Is it really that beneficial? Is culturing it an art? Most importantly, does it taste good, and is it worth the trouble?
It's one word - kombucha. Like roadfix said, it's just another food fad. In the last 30 years, people in the United States have obsessed about nutrition and micronutrients and the food industry takes advantage of that. First, it's fat, then it's gluten, then coconut oil is all the rage, blah blah on and on, something new every year and everyone's a biochemist with a degree from Google University. Eat a balanced diet and your gut flora will be fine, you will get enough vitamins and minerals and protein and fat, and unless you have a medical condition that prevents it, your liver, blood, kidneys and digestive system will detox your body all on their own.

There is very little scientific evidence that it has particular beneficial effects in people, and it can be dangerous if consumed in large amounts (more than 1/2 cup per day) or if it isn't properly prepared at home. It can easily become contaminated with harmful bacteria.

For more: Kombucha Tea- WebMD
Old 03-15-2018, 03:52 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It's one word - kombucha. Like roadfix said, it's just another food fad. In the last 30 years, people in the United States have obsessed about nutrition and micronutrients and the food industry takes advantage of that. First, it's fat, then it's gluten, then coconut oil is all the rage, blah blah on and on, something new every year and everyone's a biochemist with a degree from Google University. Eat a balanced diet and your gut flora will be fine, you will get enough vitamins and minerals and protein and fat, and unless you have a medical condition that prevents it, your liver, blood, kidneys and digestive system will detox your body all on their own.

There is very little scientific evidence that it has particular beneficial effects in people, and it can be dangerous if consumed in large amounts (more than 1/2 cup per day) or if it isn't properly prepared at home. It can easily become contaminated with harmful bacteria.

+1

If you are fixing to culture something, I would stick to yogurt that has at least 3 strains of friendly bacteria.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:08 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post

For more: Kombucha Tea- WebMD
I pretty much thought it might be a fad. It’ll stick around for years with a cult following.
In Japanese, in which I am fluent, “kombu” is the name of a dried kelp, and “cha” is tea. So “kombu cha” is only one word if “green tea” is only one word. We Americans may have turned it into one word, just like we turned “kara-oke” into that abominable “carry-okie,” but that’s what we Americans are good at, among other things - slaughtering languages!
Old 03-15-2018, 04:56 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Kombu-cha when pronounced correctly is two words. I've heard it pronounced kom-boo-chuh as one word by the uninitiated.

And yes, it's been around in NY and NJ for a long time, at least in health food stores and Asian markets.

I think it's pretty nasty. I had some last summer at the beach in a vegetarian restaurant that was doctored,up with agave syrup and fruit, and it was still nasty, and I like most fermented foods and sea veggies.
Just my two cents.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:07 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I like it when it gets kind of fizzy.

Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote