"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Cooking Contests
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2009, 05:31 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to PabstBlueRibbon
I wish I were up that way to taste the final results! Watch out for that masa, though... good god, I made chili and added a little bit of masa to make it not so watery. However, it takes about 10 minutes to kick in and I'm used to adding flour or cornstarch and it all thickening right up... so... I added another 1/4 cup... then another 1/2 cup... then maybe another 1/2 cup...

Needless to say, by the time I was done, I had sloppy joes, not chili, haha.

Best of luck!

(Oh... and... white chili? What's that?!)

Old 01-08-2009, 07:37 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabstBlueRibbon View Post
I wish I were up that way to taste the final results! Watch out for that masa, though... good god, I made chili and added a little bit of masa to make it not so watery. However, it takes about 10 minutes to kick in and I'm used to adding flour or cornstarch and it all thickening right up... so... I added another 1/4 cup... then another 1/2 cup... then maybe another 1/2 cup...

Needless to say, by the time I was done, I had sloppy joes, not chili, haha.

Best of luck!

(Oh... and... white chili? What's that?!)
Well, I just made a batch and added in the smoked flavor along with of Tony's creole spices while the meat and peppers sauted. Wow, it really increased the depth of the flavors. I think I will go with it. If we win, great, if we don't.... well there is no accounting for taste..

Old 02-27-2009, 07:44 PM   #13
Head Chef

Well the Chili is done and in the walk in cooler at work. If it doesn't win there are some exceptionally good chili's there..

Sirlion cut into cubes, diced tomatoes, Peppers--Cerrano, Jalapeno, Annaheim, Poblano, Hungarian, Fresno's, Green Cayene..all diced,
Onion, garlic, chili powder, a little peanut butter, and the 2 secret ingredients...(scotch and Tony's Cajun spices).. tomato juice, chili beans, juice from the jar of banana peppers, other spices as the mood strikes.

It's hot, but not killer hot, rich with complex flavors...
I'll report back win or lose..
I hope I made enough, I ended up with 8 gallons.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:04 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff G. View Post
Well the Chili is done and in the walk in cooler at work. If it doesn't win there are some exceptionally good chili's there..

Sirlion cut into cubes, diced tomatoes, Peppers--Cerrano, Jalapeno, Annaheim, Poblano, Hungarian, Fresno's, Green Cayene..all diced,
Onion, garlic, chili powder, a little peanut butter, and the 2 secret ingredients...(scotch and Tony's Cajun spices).. tomato juice, chili beans, juice from the jar of banana peppers, other spices as the mood strikes.

It's hot, but not killer hot, rich with complex flavors...
I'll report back win or lose..
I hope I made enough, I ended up with 8 gallons.
All I can say is YUM!