Chili Cookoff - Into the Breach one more time.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff G.

Head Chef
The University has decided to enter our local chili cookoff. We did this 2 years ago with my chili and won. I may have to think of some way to modify my recipe. I hate to enter the same chili again.
I'm thinking of maybe going tex-mex. Basically keeping the recipe the same, getting some smoked meat to go with the sirloin and adding masa....

I will be making 8 to 10 gallons this time. It all has to be cooked on site unless you have a commercial kitchen.

Last time we made 7 gallons and ran out. It's served in those little plastic condiment cups... dat's a lot of servings.....

I think smoked meat would be a great addition. I know what you mean, you want to keep your edge and change up your recipe from year to year. It is always a risk as it may not be as popular as the recipe that one, but I think that is part of the excitement and thrill. Then again, since you won everybody will be aiming at that recipe to try and beat you this time around so a different recipe would trip em up.
Either way, good luck to you sounds fun!!!

Personally, I'm a big fan of smoked meats, so your changes look great to me! When is the cookoff? My husband travels a lot for work and if he's in the area I bet he'd love to show up.

Good luck Jeff. I have been mulling over my recipe for the upcoming office chili cookoff.

I have to keep rethinking it to keep it in the doable on a weenight realm.

I wish I were up that way to taste the final results! Watch out for that masa, though... good god, I made chili and added a little bit of masa to make it not so watery. However, it takes about 10 minutes to kick in and I'm used to adding flour or cornstarch and it all thickening right up... so... I added another 1/4 cup... then another 1/2 cup... then maybe another 1/2 cup...

Needless to say, by the time I was done, I had sloppy joes, not chili, haha.

Best of luck!

(Oh... and... white chili? What's that?!)

I wish I were up that way to taste the final results! Watch out for that masa, though... good god, I made chili and added a little bit of masa to make it not so watery. However, it takes about 10 minutes to kick in and I'm used to adding flour or cornstarch and it all thickening right up... so... I added another 1/4 cup... then another 1/2 cup... then maybe another 1/2 cup...

Needless to say, by the time I was done, I had sloppy joes, not chili, haha.

Best of luck!

(Oh... and... white chili? What's that?!)

Well, I just made a batch and added in the smoked flavor along with of Tony's creole spices while the meat and peppers sauted. Wow, it really increased the depth of the flavors. I think I will go with it. If we win, great, if we don't.... well there is no accounting for taste..

Well the Chili is done and in the walk in cooler at work. If it doesn't win there are some exceptionally good chili's there..

Sirlion cut into cubes, diced tomatoes, Peppers--Cerrano, Jalapeno, Annaheim, Poblano, Hungarian, Fresno's, Green Cayene..all diced,
Onion, garlic, chili powder, a little peanut butter, and the 2 secret ingredients...(scotch and Tony's Cajun spices).. tomato juice, chili beans, juice from the jar of banana peppers, other spices as the mood strikes.

It's hot, but not killer hot, rich with complex flavors...
I'll report back win or lose..
I hope I made enough, I ended up with 8 gallons.

Well the Chili is done and in the walk in cooler at work. If it doesn't win there are some exceptionally good chili's there..

Sirlion cut into cubes, diced tomatoes, Peppers--Cerrano, Jalapeno, Annaheim, Poblano, Hungarian, Fresno's, Green Cayene..all diced,
Onion, garlic, chili powder, a little peanut butter, and the 2 secret ingredients...(scotch and Tony's Cajun spices).. tomato juice, chili beans, juice from the jar of banana peppers, other spices as the mood strikes.

It's hot, but not killer hot, rich with complex flavors...
I'll report back win or lose..
I hope I made enough, I ended up with 8 gallons.

All I can say is YUM!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom