"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Cooking Contests

Old 02-28-2011, 11:29 PM   #31
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

It does look good but Mimi is right it's a bit stiff. How was the flavor? Good risotto also depends on the humidity, sometimes you need more or less of the stock. If it tased good, it's not a failure, but an opportunity to step up the game!

I will not be able to play with different rices until next weekend, I'm heading into a work rotation. I can check on Jasmine and brown rice. Two each weekend should be plenty. Princesses do not live on rice alone!

Old 02-28-2011, 11:33 PM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
I have actually never tried this. Can you make it with jasmine rice? That is what I have right now. I also have brown rice, but wanted to try it first with white.
Here's the thing about risotto IMO, it is made with arborio rice which is a short grained rice that retains more of it's starch... When liquid is slowly added to the rice the starch is released, but it must be a slow process to maintain the integrity of the finished product... True risotto must be "to the tooth" aka al dente'...

I'm not sure how other rice products would hold up to this process, but hell yeah it's worth a try... The only thing I would think is that they may need more stock, and i'm not sure if you could get it to the perfect al dente' before it gets mushy... Worth a try though, good experiment...

Old 02-28-2011, 11:33 PM   #33
Executive Chef

I think I may try the jasmine rice. I just found a recipe for lemon risotto. I may try it some time this week. I will let you know how it turns out.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:41 PM   #34
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
Here's the thing about risotto IMO, it is made with arborio rice which is a short grained rice that retains more of it's starch... When liquid is slowly added to the rice the starch is released, but it must be a slow process to maintain the integrity of the finished product... True risotto must be "to the tooth" aka al dente'...

I'm not sure how other rice products would hold up to this process, but hell yeah it's worth a try... The only thing I would think is that they may need more stock, and i'm not sure if you could get it to the perfect al dente' before it gets mushy... Worth a try though, good experiment...
Helga, dear!

We are working on a Whole Grain version...better for those of us who are tending towards or are diabetics. If we can get the flavor and texture down with such a small consession and without resorting to fat-free and low carb variations...yea!

(ducking and running)
Old 03-01-2011, 12:15 AM   #35
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Helga, dear!

We are working on a Whole Grain version...better for those of us who are tending towards or are diabetics. If we can get the flavor and texture down with such a small consession and without resorting to fat-free and low carb variations...yea!

(ducking and running)
Helga's dear friend,,, I would be willing to try the brown rice method... I finally have a day off tomorrow and will head to Richards to get some rice and give it a go... Reports tomorrow night, can't promise anything!!!
Old 03-01-2011, 12:21 AM   #36
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
Helga's dear friend,,, I would be willing to try the brown rice method... I finally have a day off tomorrow and will head to Richards to get some rice and give it a go... Reports tomorrow night, can't promise anything!!!
Cool, by the weekend all the pitfalls will be worked out and I will shine like a tarnished star.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:24 AM   #37
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Cool, by the weekend all the pitfalls will be worked out and I will shine like a tarnished star.
I would love nothing more than to untarnish your pitfalls...

XOXO GF
Old 03-01-2011, 12:29 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We need more pix of risotto. I'll need something to compare to.

I have been Googling brown rice risotto. One recipe used already cooked short grain brown rice. Another one cooked the short grain brown rice for 20 minutes and then made the risotto. It included any cooking water left from the brown rice and added 7 grams of corn starch dissolved in 1 Tblsp of corn starch about 2 minute before the end. Others recommended short grain Japanese brown rice or brown sushi rice.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:35 AM   #39
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
We need more pix of risotto. I'll need something to compare to.

I have been Googling brown rice risotto. One recipe used already cooked short grain brown rice. Another one cooked the short grain brown rice for 20 minutes and then made the risotto. It included any cooking water left from the brown rice and added 7 grams of corn starch dissolved in 1 Tblsp of corn starch about 2 minute before the end. Others recommended short grain Japanese brown rice or brown sushi rice.
I have to wait until I can get across town and see what my choices are at the bulk store. And right now, it's bedtime...I'm losing it!
Old 03-01-2011, 06:35 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

This risotto sounds like something hard to get just right without having had it prepared for you correctly firsthand.

Risotto or rice, BTaBox, it sure sounds and looks delicious.