Cook-Together Risotto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All the recipes that I find need a 1/2 cup of white wine. Do you need to put it in, I really don't want to open a bottle for a 1/2 cup.

No, you don't have to use the wine. Just adjust your broth! I often don't have the correct wine for a recipe or no wine. I put whatever in!:ROFLMAO:

I went with a pretty plain risotto for my first attempt. I used chicken stock, butter, a shallot and some Parmesan cheese. I garnished with a little bit of chive. I served it with Chicken and a glass of cranberry wine. I have to say it was pretty good, and I will be making it again soon!

Here is my recipe

2 Cups of Arborio rice
6 cups of chicken stock
3 tablespoons of butter
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 large shallot
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Pepper to taste
Chives for garnish

In a large pot bring 6 cups of stock to a boil, reduce to a simmer.

Add 2 tbsp butter and olive oil to a large saute pan. Add rice and shallot and saute until shallot is soft.

Add 2 ladles of stock in at a time, and stir occasionally until combined, repeat until all of the stock is used and the mixture is creamy.

Add pepper, cheese and remaining butter, stir to incorporate. Garnish with chives.

Attachments

• Picture 195.jpg
    Picture 195.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 247
All the recipes that I find need a 1/2 cup of white wine. Do you need to put it in, I really don't want to open a bottle for a 1/2 cup.

Can you think of ANYTHING to do with that wine???

We cook with wine at our house...some of it we even put into the food!

Can you think of ANYTHING to do with that wine???

We cook with wine at our house...some of it we even put into the food!

:LOL: :ROFLMAO:

My sentiments exactly. Though I prefer to buy wine in a box, so I can take as much as I want with having the rest oxidise.

I went with a pretty plain risotto for my first attempt. I used chicken stock, butter, a shallot and some Parmesan cheese. I garnished with a little bit of chive. I served it with Chicken and a glass of cranberry wine. I have to say it was pretty good, and I will be making it again soon!

Here is my recipe

2 Cups of Arborio rice
6 cups of chicken stock
3 tablespoons of butter
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 large shallot
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Pepper to taste
Chives for garnish

In a large pot bring 6 cups of stock to a boil, reduce to a simmer.

Add 2 tbsp butter and olive oil to a large saute pan. Add rice and shallot and saute until shallot is soft.

Add 2 ladles of stock in at a time, and stir occasionally until combined, repeat until all of the stock is used and the mixture is creamy.

Add pepper, cheese and remaining butter, stir to incorporate. Garnish with chives.

BTAB your risotto is to stiff,( looking at the picture), risotto should be creamy and spread on the plate... I'm guessing you needed more stock, and stock should be added 1 cup at a time and stirred consistently. It should be to the tooth and butter should be added at the very last minute to give that glossy finishing touch... It will usually take about 20 -25 minutes to make a great risotto... :)

:LOL: :ROFLMAO:

My sentiments exactly. Though I prefer to buy wine in a box, so I can take as much as I want with having the rest oxidise.

I like a good bottled wine, but we always have a box of wine in the fridge for every day, so I can always cook with it too! :ROFLMAO:

I have actually never tried this. Can you make it with jasmine rice? That is what I have right now. I also have brown rice, but wanted to try it first with white.

It does look good but Mimi is right it's a bit stiff. How was the flavor? Good risotto also depends on the humidity, sometimes you need more or less of the stock. If it tased good, it's not a failure, but an opportunity to step up the game!

I will not be able to play with different rices until next weekend, I'm heading into a work rotation. I can check on Jasmine and brown rice. Two each weekend should be plenty. Princesses do not live on rice alone!

I have actually never tried this. Can you make it with jasmine rice? That is what I have right now. I also have brown rice, but wanted to try it first with white.

Here's the thing about risotto IMO, it is made with arborio rice which is a short grained rice that retains more of it's starch... When liquid is slowly added to the rice the starch is released, but it must be a slow process to maintain the integrity of the finished product... True risotto must be "to the tooth" aka al dente'...

I'm not sure how other rice products would hold up to this process, but hell yeah it's worth a try... The only thing I would think is that they may need more stock, and i'm not sure if you could get it to the perfect al dente' before it gets mushy... Worth a try though, good experiment...

I think I may try the jasmine rice. I just found a recipe for lemon risotto. I may try it some time this week. I will let you know how it turns out.

Here's the thing about risotto IMO, it is made with arborio rice which is a short grained rice that retains more of it's starch... When liquid is slowly added to the rice the starch is released, but it must be a slow process to maintain the integrity of the finished product... True risotto must be "to the tooth" aka al dente'...

I'm not sure how other rice products would hold up to this process, but hell yeah it's worth a try... The only thing I would think is that they may need more stock, and i'm not sure if you could get it to the perfect al dente' before it gets mushy... Worth a try though, good experiment...

Helga, dear!;)

We are working on a Whole Grain version...better for those of us who are tending towards or are diabetics. If we can get the flavor and texture down with such a small consession and without resorting to fat-free and low carb variations...yea!

(ducking and running)

Helga, dear!;)

We are working on a Whole Grain version...better for those of us who are tending towards or are diabetics. If we can get the flavor and texture down with such a small consession and without resorting to fat-free and low carb variations...yea!

(ducking and running)

Helga's dear friend,,, I would be willing to try the brown rice method... I finally have a day off tomorrow and will head to Richards to get some rice and give it a go... Reports tomorrow night, can't promise anything!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Helga's dear friend,,, I would be willing to try the brown rice method... I finally have a day off tomorrow and will head to Richards to get some rice and give it a go... Reports tomorrow night, can't promise anything!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cool, by the weekend all the pitfalls will be worked out and I will shine like a tarnished star.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We need more pix of risotto. I'll need something to compare to.

I have been Googling brown rice risotto. One recipe used already cooked short grain brown rice. Another one cooked the short grain brown rice for 20 minutes and then made the risotto. It included any cooking water left from the brown rice and added 7 grams of corn starch dissolved in 1 Tblsp of corn starch about 2 minute before the end. Others recommended short grain Japanese brown rice or brown sushi rice.

We need more pix of risotto. I'll need something to compare to.

I have been Googling brown rice risotto. One recipe used already cooked short grain brown rice. Another one cooked the short grain brown rice for 20 minutes and then made the risotto. It included any cooking water left from the brown rice and added 7 grams of corn starch dissolved in 1 Tblsp of corn starch about 2 minute before the end. Others recommended short grain Japanese brown rice or brown sushi rice.

I have to wait until I can get across town and see what my choices are at the bulk store. And right now, it's bedtime...I'm losing it!

This risotto sounds like something hard to get just right without having had it prepared for you correctly firsthand.

Risotto or rice, BTaBox, it sure sounds and looks delicious.

Back
Top Bottom