Cook-Together Risotto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NAchef

Sous Chef
The Cook-Together is intended to be a thread at which we all can cook the same dish and share our experiences in a non-competitive, collaborative manner:
  • something you've always wanted to make at home (and may enjoy out) but rarely have made, or haven't made successfully;
  • for which special but locatable ingredients may be used, but for which expensive special equipment is not required;
  • that includes techniques, ingredient combinations, or other elements that intrigue you;
  • from a different cuisine than that of the previous Cook-Together dish;
  • that demands some time and effort, but that rewards that effort for even those first approaching it; and
  • that motivates you to try it out, ask questions, serve it to friends, and share photos and stories.
As we cook and compare, we post our recipes, cooking ideas, photos, instructions, and insight.

You're never too late for an DiscussCooking Cook-Together. While all have a specific starting time, none have an end time, and there are many of us eager to see what you will do with the cook-together recipes. So don't hesitate to contribute if you're finding this thread weeks or months after its start: by posting your own ideas, questions, or results, you can bump activity back up on this thread in no time!

Risotto - Many variations of Risotto that you can make and any will be fine to post your results, successes or mishaps.

oooh I love this idea! :chef: Off I go to find a risotto recipe that I want to try.

I've never even been in this section of the forums; I need to go do some more investigating to see what else I've been missing.

The Cook-Together is intended to be a thread at which we all can cook the same dish and share our experiences in a non-competitive, collaborative manner:
  • something you've always wanted to make at home (and may enjoy out) but rarely have made, or haven't made successfully;
  • for which special but locatable ingredients may be used, but for which expensive special equipment is not required;
  • that includes techniques, ingredient combinations, or other elements that intrigue you;
  • from a different cuisine than that of the previous Cook-Together dish;
  • that demands some time and effort, but that rewards that effort for even those first approaching it; and
  • that motivates you to try it out, ask questions, serve it to friends, and share photos and stories.
As we cook and compare, we post our recipes, cooking ideas, photos, instructions, and insight.

You're never too late for an DiscussCooking Cook-Together. While all have a specific starting time, none have an end time, and there are many of us eager to see what you will do with the cook-together recipes. So don't hesitate to contribute if you're finding this thread weeks or months after its start: by posting your own ideas, questions, or results, you can bump activity back up on this thread in no time!

Risotto - Many variations of Risotto that you can make and any will be fine to post your results, successes or mishaps.
Hello Everyone,

Im coming into this late. but we should keep this going it sounds like fun, so could you give me a bit more detailed info as to what im expected to do. And what other recipe ingredients have been introduced besides rosotto.. so i can catch up...

I'm going to make mine later this week and I've chosen a simple classic: Milanese Risotto.

I wish I had a nice camera but we'll see what my trusty old point-and-shoot Minolta can come up.

NAChef, I haven't forgotten, but I was busy with the Mushroom Challenge.

Risotto in the coming week.

This sounds like fun. Has anyone made risotto using unpolished (brown) rice?

That would be a good "experiment" recipe for the risotto thread. That's what this is, an exploration of a new recipe. I've made lots of risotto, but I am looking forward to trying out something new.

That would be a good "experiment" recipe for the risotto thread. That's what this is, an exploration of a new recipe. I've made lots of risotto, but I am looking forward to trying out something new.

Any ideas on the brown rice? I could just substitute short-grained brown rice and adjust the time, but how would I know if it came out right?

I have never made risotto because I only have brown rice at home. I don't even ever remember eating risotto, so I don't get any cravings for it ;)

...I have never made risotto because I only have brown rice at home. I don't even ever remember eating risotto, so I don't get any cravings for it ;)

The only thing I know about risotto is that Emeril says you need to keep stirring it :wacko:

Any ideas on the brown rice? I could just substitute short-grained brown rice and adjust the time, but how would I know if it came out right?

I have never made risotto because I only have brown rice at home. I don't even ever remember eating risotto, so I don't get any cravings for it ;)

I know it's the starches on the outside of the arborio rice that give it the creamy texture. I don't know if the brown rice will work the same or not. I'm willing to give it a try! You in? Pick a recipe, we'll do it together.

I know it's the starches on the outside of the arborio rice that give it the creamy texture. I don't know if the brown rice will work the same or not. I'm willing to give it a try! You in? Pick a recipe, we'll do it together.

I'm in, but you are the one with experience in risotto, so you pick a good recipe. I wonder if partially cooking the brown rice first would help bring starch to the surface.

But, I'm not feeling so good or too smart today. I don't think I will be doing any cooking for a few days.

I'm in, but you are the one with experience in risotto, so you pick a good recipe. I wonder if partially cooking the brown rice first would help bring starch to the surface.

But, I'm not feeling so good or too smart today. I don't think I will be doing any cooking for a few days.

We can put off our experiment until next weekend. I've seen enough of the kitchen this weekend. I'll find a recipe and PM it to you.

Hello Everyone,

Im coming into this late. but we should keep this going it sounds like fun, so could you give me a bit more detailed info as to what im expected to do. And what other recipe ingredients have been introduced besides rosotto.. so i can catch up...

This is the first "Cook-Together" on this site so no others have been introduced.

Just as others have been posting, ask questions, give advice on things that work or that have failed and why. Any experience you have that may help others is what will make the "Cook-Together" a success.

Pictures can be a big help, expecially for those who are new to the dish, ingredients & final product. Pictures are NOT necessary though, mostly just advice for & from other members is what will be the biggest help.

Thanks all! Looks like it will be fun, I have never made risotto before but plan to this next week.

I have a large selection of "in-bulk" rice to choose from. If anyone is wanting to find out if a certain type of rice will work, just let me know. I can always stop and pick up a cup of it and give it a try. I keep plenty of stock on hand at all times.

The question is begging, "what exactly is a risotto?"

From Wiki:
Risotto is a class of Italian dishes of rice cooked in broth to a creamy consistency. The broth may be meat-based, fish-based, or vegetable-based; many kinds include parmesan cheese, butter, and onion. It is one of the most common ways of cooking rice in Italy.
Risotto is normally a primo (first course), served on its own before the main course, but risotto alla milanese is often served together with ossobuco alla milanese.

I'm going to have to look hard to find a new ingredient to try! Aside from playing with different rices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom