Cooking Contest for Kids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imlearning2cook

Assistant Cook
I am new to cooking (like as literally no experience). My neighbor challenged me to a cooking contest with her 7 year old(and she knows how to cook). The kids are going to be judging the food. Any tips?

Keep it simple. Don't over think it. Get the kids involved, even if it's just stirring something. Cassaroles are KING! (I'm the mom of 6... trust me on this...)

A really easy and tasty dish that kids like (or at least mine did...) is 2 cans of chili in a cassarole dish, about a cup of shredded cheddar over the top and stir up a box of "Jiffy" corn muffin mix (according to the directions) and spread that over the top of that. Bake it in a 400* oven for about 45 minutes. Let it sit for about 10 minutes before serving. It's easy, it's fast and it tastes good. If you need something "fancier"... there are a TON of things to do... just don't panic! :)

On his birthday, my 7 year old son got to pick what we had for dinner. He picked pancakes, bacon, sausage, tomatoes, strawberries, and on and on. We limited the menu to 4 or so items, but pancakes are a big hit with kids. You can make them from scratch or with a mix, and kids can be very involved in the process. Cracking eggs, stirring, even ladeling batter on the griddle if they are careful enough.

Another recipe that might be good for kids is sort of a homemade chicken nuggets. I have a recipe for some, and they are coated in a mixture of parmesan cheese, italian seasoning, and possibly bread crumbs. Very simple and good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom