"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Cooking Contests

Old 07-08-2013, 11:09 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
And if you need help with math, please feel free to ask PF and me, as we are experts. Just not at math.

Congrats guys!
'Cept I needed to take my shoes off...twice!

Old 07-08-2013, 11:52 PM   #12
Wine Guy

Thank you and congrats, Chief and Whiska!

Like I said in an earlier post, there were no bad entries. Every single recipe got at least one vote at our house. And my wife and daughter even voted for recipes other than mine (I've also been told that we need to make Alix's recipe again sometime).

I did make WAY too many pancakes, though. I've had them for breakfast every single morning since the 4th, and still have a half dozen or so left in the freezer.

And special thanks to PF and Dawg for volunteering to be the vote tallyers!

Old 07-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Who dribbled syrup on your shirt this time !?! Not me for once

Thanks PF and DawgL for managing the flap-jack contest and encouraging and ensuring its success. Congratulations Chief and Steve for blue ribbons !! And a feather in everyoneís cap for submitting your favorite recipe and taking part.

For the record, I bought only the best ingredients. A 12 pak of Grain Belt Premium ( a local brew (now bottled by another brewery) recently voted as Americaís best o f 100 cheap brewskis, greek yogurt and organic milk hand massaged from contented cows. Just you wait guys, next time, Iím subbing in Meyer Lemons or perhaps Orange juice from either Floriday or Californiay. Any subtleties I missed in your recipes should not be surpassed. Actually, donít screw up a good thing when you know itís good. Donít overthink and donít over stir. Iím still learning the last part. Small confession, I added a little baking powder/soda into the batters in the morning . I made the dough the night and this coaxed it to re-activate when I stirred up the batter.

Overall, I think a good pancake has a certain lightness of being. Something that is at once substantial, sticks to your ribs and after you eat a plateful, you say, please, may I have another. With that, I too have freezer bags full of pancakes, enough to keep us happy for a month of weekends.

Congratulaions again, to our winners and participants commenters and cheerleaders.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
.... Overall, I think a good pancake has a certain lightness of being. ...
Right there my pancakes would never get your vote. My pancakes are dense and heavy, with substance, just like most Russian cakes and breads versus Americans. Which are too light and too airy for my taste?
I am sorry I did not have chance to participate. Though I have made Chief's pancakes before, as I already mentioned, and my wife liked it a lot, because those were your typical American pancakes. My kids prefer mine, as it is what they used to.

P.S. Did anybody make my pancakes, just out of curiosity?
Old 07-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #15
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I did. I liked them, and one of my neighbors rated them on top. You're right, though. They have a much denser texture than what a lot of Americans raised on iHop or Perkins would typically be accustomed to.

Do you ever make them using other types of flour?
Old 07-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Right there my pancakes would never get your vote. My pancakes are dense and heavy, with substance, just like most Russian cakes and breads versus Americans. Which are too light and too airy for my taste?
I am sorry I did not have chance to participate. Though I have made Chief's pancakes before, as I already mentioned, and my wife liked it a lot, because those were your typical American pancakes. My kids prefer mine, as it is what they used to.

I made your recipe, and it scored pretty good. People definitely liked them. I had five judges, and five caterogies that the pancakes were judged by, Every pancake had at least one category that it did better than all of the others. For instance, Bucky came out best in the "feels like a brick" category.

That was just mean, especially after all of the support he's given my pancake recipe, over the years. I've never had the pleasure of eating at Bucky's house. But I absolutely know the man knows his way around the kitchen, and would love to eat in his house.

Charlie, I think we would have a great time in each other's back yard, grills-a-blazin'.

Alix, my judges were blown away by the Dutch Babies. They loved the dramatic look, and versatility of them.

Whiska, what can I say? The vanilla both set you apart, in a great flavor way, but hurt you in the versatility category.

In any case, there wasn't a bad recipe in the bunch.

So, when do I get my prize check for $40,000 dollars?

What, there's no prize check! I though Pri-Fi, and Dawg both worked for FoodNetwork. Ah well, to be in such great company is more than enough reward.

Ok, so, now that Steve and I are tied for first place, he can run beside me for the presidency, and vice presidency. Don't you think Steve would make a great vice president of our nation?

Oh, Steve, just remember that it's the vice-presidential candidate's job to purchase meals when we're on the road, and pay for gas, and supply the vehicle, you know, little things like that. We'll be like the Lone Ranger and Tonto. I'm the Lone Ranger, of course.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Chief, I don't put vanilla in my pancakes, although I think that would be good. I ususally put a kiss of lemon in, enough to brigthen them without over doing the flavor. If there is no lemons in the house, it's just plain buttermilk pancakes. Which we like. And if there's no buttermilk, we make what I describe as your sweet milk pancakes. Which we like those too.

Charlie, at the time when I invited people over ( all two of them showed) I had to describe in general what was unique/ or what set the different recipes apart. So when I said yogurt pancakes, I had one person looking specifically for them that morning.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Chief, I don't put vanilla in my pancakes, although I think that would be good. I ususally put a kiss of lemon in, enough to brigthen them without over doing the flavor. If there is no lemons in the house, it's just plain buttermilk pancakes. Which we like. And if there's no buttermilk, we make what I describe as your sweet milk pancakes. Which we like those too.

Charlie, at the time when I invited people over ( all two of them showed) I had to describe in general what was unique/ or what set the different recipes apart. So when I said yogurt pancakes, I had one person looking specifically for them that morning.
Sorry, got your lemon flavored pancake recipe mixed up as I don't have the recipes right in front of me. I didn't do that in the competition though, as I cooked each recipe, one by one, and labeled them as I put them on the plate. And as I said, every batch was great.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

<whispers> Dawg did you tell them about the check?</whisper>
Old 07-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #20
Master Chef

Chief, LOL, very funny, thumbs up, if you do not make as a chef, you should try stand up comedy.

I am still hoping to try some recipes one of this days, if not for the contest at least for my self. Maybe I'll wait for kids to come home, they will be the judges.

P.S. is there way to put results up for everybody to see?