Fall '12 GCC GotGarlic - Savory Roasted Butternut Squash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
Savory Roasted Butternut Squash

Serves 2.

2 cups butternut squash, microwaved to soften, then peeled and diced
2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
salt and black pepper to taste
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Prick squash 8-10 times all over with a fork. Place in a microwave-safe dish in the microwave and cook on high 5 minutes, turning over once halfway through cooking. Allow to cool slightly. Cut off ends, peel, and cut in half across the width. Remove seeds and cut seedy half into 1-inch cubes.

Sprinkle squash with olive oil, rosemary and S&P to taste. Toss to coat. Place oven-safe dish and roast, stirring once or twice, 35 minutes.

Remove from oven and sprinkle with balsamic vinegar. Toss to coat. Serve immediately.

Not sure I'm doing the contest right, as this is a side dish and not an entree, and I may be late posting, but it was fun! ;)

I've actually never made butternut squash before :) I only used half of it in case we didn't like it this way. I thought I didn't like it (and DH says he doesn't like any winter squash), but we had a butternut squash soup at a catered event last year and loved it. But I wanted to make something savory rather than sweet, so I Googled for a while and came up with this, based on other recipes I saw.

It turned out really tasty and the vinegar is a nice foil for the creamy gravy and roasted chicken. DH thought it might need 5-10 minutes more of cooking time, to be completely cooked through. I think I might add a crunchy element, like roasted pine nuts, next time.

15026-albums678-picture5189.jpg

Last edited:
GG, that looks and sounds mighty tasty! And TB can have all the ingredients so that will be on our menu real soon! :)

GG,
this recipe looks wonderful. I just made my first roasted squash and we love it. I Will no make your recipe. Thanks I just learned to micowave the squash to make it easier to cut and peel. Thahk you for putting that up here as well.
kades

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom