Flapjack Contest Chatter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your best pancake recipe...you want to make sure others are going to be willing to make it and eat it.

Charlie, do you mean butterMILK? It's similar to yogurt in flavor, so I'm going to say yes. Note that it's more liquid, so you may have to add additional milk or other liquid to make it the same consistency.

You're too fast, took only a minute to correct my m,istake, but you already cut it.

Ok, I will see what i can do about this. I've made Chief's pancake before, want to try somebody elses this time.

Alix, what size and how many ramekins are needed? Could something like a muffin tin work as a substitute?

Yes muffin tins would work beautifully. I like ramekins because they are just a bit bigger than muffin tins. Maybe the oversized muffin tins would be about right? I do 8 of my little ramekins.

We're going to need some time for this one. I can't eat pancakes that often without hitting the elliptical twice a day!

Can I post a twist? These are "german pancakes" or "dutch babies". Still a pancake, but made a bit differently. They are our favorites.

1/2 cup oil
1 1/2 cups milk
6 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour

In your blender, pour oil, milk and add the eggs one at a time. Set to a lower speed and put in the flour sloooooowly. When it is smooth pour into greased ramekins. Bake for 20 - 30 minutes in a 350 oven. Be sure not to fill dishes too full. 1/3 or 1/2 is PLENTY in each dish.

They puff up beautifully and ideally should have a well in the middle when done. Fill with berries and drizzle with maple syrup.

That's an over-sized popover, or an undersized dutch baby:LOL: (I make my Dutch Babies in a ten inch cast iron Griswold pan, with the grease and pan already hot from the oven). Very eggy, and yummy. If you pour it into the hot grease around a good beef roast, and pop it into a hot oven, you have Yorkshire Pudding.

Just saying...;)

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
I am enjoying looking through the recipes as mine will have to be a gluten free version . I like the sound of using buttermilk . The title of this post refers to flapjacks which are a different thing to to me, but we mean pancakes like the ones Steve posted a photo of ?

Am assuming people will post photos too ?

I am enjoying looking through the recipes as mine will have to be a gluten free version . I like the sound of using buttermilk . The title of this post refers to flapjacks which are a different thing to to me, but we mean pancakes like the ones Steve posted a photo of ?

Am assuming people will post photos too ?

Yes, flapjacks are pancakes. Photos would be great, but not mandatory, right PF?

Last edited:
Yes, flapjacks are pancakes. Photos would be great, but not mandatory, right PF?

Yes, photos are nice, but not mandatory.

GQ, since you are gluten free, will you be able to have others test the recipes for you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom