"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Cooking Contests

Old 03-14-2011, 12:31 PM   #31
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Since I don't use prepared foods, would "copy cat" type recipes be considered?
Your main ingredients MUST be purchased at the convenience store. That is the challenge.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:09 PM   #32
Master Chef

Site Administrator

We can't buy beer in our 7-11.. well.. not over the counter at least.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #33
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
t

The idea of the challenge is to come up with your own recipes / recipe ideas and be creative and "challenge" yourself, not use existing recipes. Although there would be nothing wrong with reworking an existing recipe by swapping or adding ingredients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
LOL.. yep, no beer or alcohol.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #34
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
I rarely use processed foods either, and I know many of the people here don't. But the challenge is to go into one of these stores and let your creativity take over.

It is a double challenge for me because if I do use ANYTHING prepared (even ketchup, etc.), I have to read labels carefully for my DH's food intolerances and my father's diabetes. They are my taste testers.

But I am up for this. Haven't decided if I use one of the two family run stores or the one in the gas station around the corner. I could go 7/11 but it a bit of a distance and I think would have too much "real food" as I think Fiona said.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:30 AM   #35
Executive Chef

I'm considering doing this challenge we have 7 convenience/gas station stores, but no 7-11. They all carry some "real food" like cheese, eggs, milk, butter, bread and some may even carry frozen
meat. Would this be an unfair advantage or do all convenience stores have these foods? I have to admit I don't shop at them, but have seen what they sell while paying for gas at a couple if them. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Cooking
Old 03-15-2011, 01:35 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Your main ingredients MUST be purchased at the convenience store. That is the challenge.
I'm not in. Convenience stores are expensive, for one thing, and do not sell the types of ingredients I buy, for another. By selecting convenience stores, this challenge is not conducive for people on a limited budget or with dietary restrictions.

What I meant by copy-cat was to make one's own cake mix instead of buying a cake mix, for example. I make a lot of "dry mixes" for cookies, cakes, and biscuits that I then "dip into" when I have a hankering to make something, just add the moist ingredients.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:59 PM   #37
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I believe that is correct, but just to reiterate, the six items from the pantry would include things like salt, pepper, butter, oil, etc.

Okay, do we want to hold off setting a date until after next Sunday when the Mushroom one closes, or do we want to forge ahead on new uncharted territory (I haven't been in a convenience store in years!)?
Thanks for clarifying the pantry items. I'm fine with setting a date now or later. Which ever is easiest for the group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
LOL! And I had just decided to use the Cenex because I don't know what they carry. I'm well versed with the Holiday and I know they are carrying real food.
If the store is on the list, I think it's fair game. All have some limitations.

Quote:
Now where is the sense of adventure? Besides all you need is a bag of Doritos and a slim jim.
Don't give away my appetizer ideas!

Quote:
So beer bread is out for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
I'm considering doing this challenge we have 7 convenience/gas station stores, but no 7-11. They all carry some "real food" like cheese, eggs, milk, butter, bread and some may even carry frozen
meat. Would this be an unfair advantage or do all convenience stores have these foods? I have to admit I don't shop at them, but have seen what they sell while paying for gas at a couple if them. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Cooking
If it is on this list, it's fair game.

Quote:
I'm not in. Convenience stores are expensive, for one thing, and do not sell the types of ingredients I buy, for another. By selecting convenience stores, this challenge is not conducive for people on a limited budget or with dietary restrictions.
I hope that isn't true! I'll likely spend less on this challenge than others...and everyone in our house has dietary restrictions. To me, it is all part of the challenge as none of us shop at convenience stores. I'll definitely be out of my comfort zone. I hope you reconsider!

Old 03-15-2011, 11:19 PM   #38
Head Chef

Just wondering ...all of the convenience stores around here sell hot dogs, breakfast sandwiches and some burgers and pizza, hot. Can these be used? In other words could I take the hot dogs or sausages that were pre-cooked and use them to make an entree or appetizer? Just wondering.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:45 PM   #39
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
Just wondering ...all of the convenience stores around here sell hot dogs, breakfast sandwiches and some burgers and pizza, hot. Can these be used? In other words could I take the hot dogs or sausages that were pre-cooked and use them to make an entree or appetizer? Just wondering.
I think you could use anything they sell.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:34 AM   #40
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Remember, "Creativity" is part of the challenge. I hope to see better than buying a ready cooked hot dog and plopping it on a plate.