GCC - Convenience Store Challenge, Appys - Goodweed of the North

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Here's my entry into the challenge. This one really made me explore new ideas, not that anything I made was so different, but using the convenience store foods instead of fresh foods was challenging. I have been making all of our meals from scratch for so long. It's tough having to try and make something great from less than ideal ingredients. But it was fun, just the same, and I'm proud of what I made. And DW liked almost everything as well.:LOL: If DW likes it, then I know it's a success.:mrgreen:

Goodweed’s GCCConvenience Appys

I bring to you my Convenience Store food Appy’s. Every ingredient in these appetizers came from the Holiday Gas station/Convenience Store.

We start with Deviled Eggs. These came out great, with all of the usual ingredients available at the store. The flavor was classic. The only item used that wasn’t from the store was a bit of paprika.
Ingredients:
2 Fresh eggs
4 packets sweet pickle relish
4 packets minced onion
1 packet prepared mustard
2 packets Miracle Whip Salad Dressing
1 small can sliced black olives
Water
Bring water to a boil, then back down the heat to simmer. Gently place uncooked eggs into the hot water and cook for seven minutes. Remove when the time has elapsed and gently craze the egg shell. Fill the pot with ice cold water and let sit for 1 minutes. Peel the egg shells cleanly from the egg.

Cut the egg in half, lengthwise. Scoop the cooked egg yolk into a bowl
Add the mustard, relish, onion, and salad dressing and mix together until smooth. Spoon into the egg depression and top with black olive rings. Plate on your platter.

Another item in this platter of appy’s was tuna/butter cracker mini sandwiches.
These came out great, with a simple tuna spread made from a Sunkist Tuna lunch Kit. They were moist, and well flavored, and just light enough to allow you to eat other appy’s.
Ingredients:
1/2 foil pack of tuna
1 foil pack of mayonnaise
1 foil pack of Miracle Whip Salad Dressing
2 foil packs sweet pickle relish
1 scant squirt of prepared yellow mustard (from foil pack)
4 buttery crackers from the lunch kit
Stir together all ingredients except for the crackers until everything is well combined. Spoon this filling onto two crackers. Top with two more crackers and plate.

Nest Appy – Over Easy fried egg on top of a fried tuna patty
This was a standout with what I had to work with. The tuna patty came out perfect, firm and moist, with just enough saltiness to compliment the egg, which was cooked to perfection in butter (from the convenience store. S&P came from the Holiday Store as well.
Ingredients:
1 egg
1 tbs. butter
½ foil pack tuna
½ tsp ground black pepper
two buttery crackers
¼ tsp. Tarragon (from the pantry)
Onion powder

Crush the crackers and combine with the tuna, black pepper, and tarragon. Melt the butter in a hot, stick free skillet. Form the tuna mixture into a patty and place in the skillet. Fry until lightly browned on one side. Flip and do the same. Remove to a plate.

Fry one egg easy over in the same skillet. Remove from the pan and place atop the tuna patty.

Next appy – Poached egg on grill toast round. This appetizer was luxurious. A perfectly poached egg is a wonderful thing. Salt dissolved in the poaching water gently seasons the egg. The picture says it all. The flavor, can you say spectacular? (can you guess that I love a great poached egg?) The grilled toast round is a perfect foil for the richness of the egg. It doesn’t overpower it, but still asserts its own flavor.

Heat water to a low boil. Add 1 tsp. salt and stir until dissolved. Turn back heat to lowest setting and wait until the water is still. Crack the raw egg into the hot water, as close to the water, and as gently as possible. Let poach in the hot water until the white is firm, but the yolk is still runny.

While the egg is poaching, use a biscuit cutter to cut a perfect round of whole wheat bread. Butter both sides and grill on a hot skillet until perfectly browned on both sides. When the egg is done, remove from the water, drain and place on top of the toast round. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.

Deconstructed PBJ on buttery cracker.
Simple, yummy. What more is there to say?
Ingredients:
Two peanut butter sandwich cracker snacks
2 Packets strawberry jam

Place jam on top of the cracker snacks and plate.

Somebody put there chocolate on my peanut butter.
Ingredients:
2 peanut butter sandwich cracker snacks
2 Brachs Peanut Clusters

Place chocolate peanut clusters on top of the snack crackers. Microwave for 20 seconds to attach the chocolate to the crackers. This tasted great.

Garnish – Ripe black olives, purchased at the Holiday store.

Yeh, that was a mighty tasty appetizer platter.

Attachments

• DSCF0055Convenience.jpg
    DSCF0055Convenience.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 272
I like that many of the ingredients were not purchased at the Holiday Store, but rather acquired for free from its hot dog station's condiments bin! :LOL:

Each appy sounds mighty tasty. Impressive job with all the entries, Goodweed!

Awesome! We put a lot of miles on the bike during the summer and I hate always eating out. These are awesome ideas for hotel room cooking from the gas station since we always fill up when we get to town. I'm pretty sure I could get hot enough water to hard boil an egg from the coffee maker, right?

Awesome! We put a lot of miles on the bike during the summer and I hate always eating out. These are awesome ideas for hotel room cooking from the gas station since we always fill up when we get to town. I'm pretty sure I could get hot enough water to hard boil an egg from the coffee maker, right?

:LOL: I'm glad you could find good use for these recipes. The hot coffee maker can definitely hard boil an egg. If you just use it on the warm setting, you could probably poach an egg as well. Good luck with your convenience store meals.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I think you made great use of items available at a convenience store your appetizers are very impressive. I like too the use of the "freebie" condiments!

Back
Top Bottom