GCC - Mushroom Challenge Build Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congratulations Dave, and congratulations Betterthanabox. You both must be commended for your work here. And Kathleen, your efforts and imagination are only outdone by your poise and grace.

Now, on to the next. When do we start. I can have my stuff ready by 9 pm PST today. If there is anything I love and know more than cake it is mushrooms!!!!! :chef::chef::chef::chef:

Oops I better not say that too loud or I will scare away the competition. But at least her Ogreness, Princess Fiona will do battle....I know for sure! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

What I am most interested in seeing is the desserts and beverages ;)

Last edited:
Congratulations Dave, and congratulations Betterthanabox. You both must be commended for your work here. And Kathleen, your efforts and imagination are only outdone by your poise and grace.

Now, on to the next. When do we start. I can have my stuff ready by 9 pm PST today. If there is anything I love and know more than cake it is mushrooms!!!!!

Oops I better not say that too loud or I will scare away the competition. But at least her Ogreness, Princess Fiona will do battle....I know for sure!

What I am most interested in seeing is the desserts and beverages ;)

Oh come now. A little pumkin pie with truffle oil on it just might be great, :LOL::shock: And I can think of several beverages that just might benefit from mushrooms. But I'm thinking of entering this one, and so I'm keeping my ideas to myself.:-p

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Bring it on Gee Dub!!!! (I was just joshing you, I actually have invented a mushroom dessert in the past and a drink is no sweat! ;))

I've been cogitating on a dessert for most of the day. Drink, no problem. Wondering if mushrooms would be best dipped in milk or dark chocolate!:chef:

It would be helpful if everything was spelled out. What courses are needed, when posts must be up by, etc.

If it has to be posted on a given day, I cannot do the challenge b/c my work schedule is too mercurial. If it has to be posted by a given time, I may do another challenge.

Can someone clarify the rules?

I couldn't sleep and was lying here thinking about what I could come up with to cook with mushrooms and just decided to get up and put all my ideas on paper, so to speak, so I didn't forget them by morning. I thought I'd stop by and see if there was any more conversation on the challenge and if we wer going with mushrooms.

Last edited:
I'm still thinking and percolating along. I need to check the availability of a certain type of mushroom...I may noy be able to get it. I'm going to need a couple of weeks at least to get going. Too much going on with rehab and nutrition class, not to mention work!

Oh, I think I know what kind of mushroom you are talking about. I thought about using it but changed my mind because something better popped into my head!

I think we HAVE to go with mushrooms now - we are all hooked on the idea!

I have everything nailed down already except my appie. I have about 6 I am considering.

Oh, and I have to have a snack about this time every night for my medications and I usually have something light like crackers with some spread. No, not tonight - it is mushrooms in butter with old bay seasoning (and no that is not my appetizer!)

I'm still thinking and percolating along. I need to check the availability of a certain type of mushroom...I may noy be able to get it. I'm going to need a couple of weeks at least to get going. Too much going on with rehab and nutrition class, not to mention work!

Same here. I was planning to go mushroom hunting on Friday and see what is available down here. I have ideas, just don't know what I will be able to find.

I also hope we can have a couple of weeks because Thursdays are my days off as Dad goes to his senior's program and I want to head into town to Granville Island Market. They have an amazing variety of fresh and dried mushrooms and mushroom products. I can't go tomorrow as we have plans already but I can certainly do it next week.

Mushrooms, i'm out... There's only one mushroom I would use for a dessert and it's too expensive an ingredient for me, but I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with... :):):)

Mushrooms and fungi, it's all good. And certainly, everything doesn't have to be cooked, photographed, written about, etc. on a single day. Do it as you can. The 12th is simply an arbitrary date that everything has to be posted by. The date isn't cut in stone. As far as Sunday goes, due to religeous beliefs, not everyone can participate on Sunday.

Oh, and the mushroom Mimi's talking about is in excess of $100 per pound. But it is sold dried and can be had in small packages for around $20 if anyone is interested in doing an on-line search for mushroom dessert recipes. And that package contains sufficient shrooms to make a dessert.

And there are those on the site who can gather fresh, wild mushrooms right now. The ground here is frozen and won't start thawing out for at least another month. But I can work with what is available at the grocers, or if I want, I could probably order online and receive product before the deadline and get my stuff made.

This is a contest where you challenge yourself to expand how you think about food and food preparation. One of the original postulates for this contest was that the ingredients must be accessible to everyone, and at a reasonable price. I would discourage everyone from breaking the bank in order to make something sumptuous. Don't go purchasing edible gold leaf, or truffles, or the finest chocolate on the planet. Make you entries from common, and inexpensive foods. Concentrate on creativity, technique, and flavor. Most importantly, have fun (now that doesn't mean making Exlax brownies for your hubbie:ROFLMAO:. And I don't care if he didn't bring you flowers on Valentine's Day. That would just be mean.:LOL:)

Dave and LPBeier have the spirit of this thing perfect.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Mushrooms and Fungi - Cool! It gives a lot of options.

People have religious obligations on other days besides Sunday as well. I think that giving everyone a weekend opens the ability to participate. That being said, if there is simply a "due date", the point is moot.

I know of the dessert mushroom too, but there are other types of fungus that are much cheaper. Fungi includes yeast, mold and mushrooms.

If there is a time limit on anything, it should be the polls which can open and close.

As Dave and others have said, it's to have fun - not create hardship.

Last edited:
So, by my calculations so far we have these contestants:

Goodweed of the North
DaveSoMd
Princess Fiona
Kathleen A
LPBeier

Mimizkitchen, can we talk you into joining even if you decide not to make dessert?

Anyone else?

Remember the main point of this is to challenge yourself and to have fun!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom