"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Cooking Contests

Old 03-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #41
Master Chef

Just returning from our Kauai vacation I had to check out the mushroom challenge before the bags are unpacked!
Zowers Kathleen!! Yet another impressive work of art! Yes, I said ART !!

My mouth is watering over all of it. Do tell where we can order those delectable desert mushrooms??

Off to check out PF's works of wonder.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #42
Certified Cake Maniac

Kathleen, I am once again blown away. As I said in Fiona's thread I am almost intimidated enough to not enter........almost, but not quite!

See ya at the judges' table!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #43
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Kathleen, I am once again blown away. As I said in Fiona's thread I am almost intimidated enough to not enter........almost, but not quite!

See ya at the judges' table!
LP, you know you are the ringer! I can feel it. I totally cannot wait to see your meal.

Kayelle, the candy cap mushrooms were purchased from an online company called Oregon Mushrooms. One ounce will make five pints of my ice cream.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #44
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
LP, you know you are the ringer! I can feel it. I totally cannot wait to see your meal.
Please, I don't want to be thought of as "the ringer". Because you may very well be let down and I am just here to have fun like everyone else. I have not done well with real deal cooking competitions and this one is very fun and non-pressure!

And regretfully I just looked at the pictures DH took of my main and I am not happy with them. I may be redoing them before next Saturday. This will mean we have to eat it all over again..... do you think he sabotaged them on purpose?

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #45
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Please, I don't want to be thought of as "the ringer". Because you may very well be let down and I am just here to have fun like everyone else. I have not done well with real deal cooking competitions and this one is very fun and non-pressure!

And regretfully I just looked at the pictures DH took of my main and I am not happy with them. I may be redoing them before next Saturday. This will mean we have to eat it all over again..... do you think he sabotaged them on purpose?
Smart man!
Old 07-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #46
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
I've never had candy top mushrooms prior to this challenge. In trying to come up with a dessert for this challenge, I was almost ready to settle on something like a strudel made with yeast. Then II remembered there was a "dessert mushroom." In reading about it, I had to try it! After all, challenges were to push me further along, right?

When the mushrooms arrived (one small ounce of dry candy tops), we opened the box. The aroma was incredible. It smelled like maple syrup and candy! My original idea of cupcakes went away and I decided to make ice cream. I've not used my Donvier ice cream maker in years. This turned out amazingly delicious and still maintained the undertone of earthy flavor.

Component/Recipe:
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup whole milk
1 beaten egg
1/2 cup of Splenda brown sugar
1 tbs molasses
1/5 ounce of ground candy cap mushrooms

Mix the liquids until sugar has dissolved. Toss everything in the Donvier ice cream maker and follow the directions, which is to crank it a few times every 4 or 5 minutes for twenty minutes. I placed it in the freezer to harden a bit.

Served with a cookie called Petit Ecolier. If that does not mean something yummy, don't translate it. They were yummy!

Texture and Taste:
This ice cream turned out super creamy. The flavor was consistent throughout and it seemed to have many layers of flavors. One could taste the maple-ness of the candy caps along with the hint of molasses and brown sugar. We have a cup left. It will likely not make it past tonight! Of everything, I think this was my favorite course....and I loved it all. I still have enough of the candy caps left to make this 4 more times!

Thank you so much for viewing my mushroom challenge meal! (Yes, picture two shows a thumb print! This ice cream is excellent when served with thumbs too!)

kathleen, i cannot get your candy top mushroom ice cream out of my head. this is the first i'm hearing about these sweet dessert mushrooms, candy caps! i wonder are maple trees host to this variety mushroom? last night fantasies of candy top ice cream haunted me, would not let sleep come, spinning instead tantalizingly sweet creamy visions too enticing to ignore....
Old 07-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #47
Cupcake

That ice cream was amazing. I've never had anything like it before. We both loved the flavor. With such a tiny bit of the dried candy caps going such a long way, the cost really is not that much to order them.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #48
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
kathleen, i cannot get your candy top mushroom ice cream out of my head. this is the first i'm hearing about these sweet dessert mushrooms, candy caps! i wonder are maple trees host to this variety mushroom? last night fantasies of candy top ice cream haunted me, would not let sleep come, spinning instead tantalizingly sweet creamy visions too enticing to ignore....
I knew that one would get you!
Old 07-07-2011, 10:23 PM   #49
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I knew that one would get you!
LOL! I was surprised it had not already gotten you!

Old 07-07-2011, 11:04 PM   #50
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

There are Candy Caps in the pantry...as soon as I get some time for real cooking...I'm making the ice cream. This weekend is the Missoula Marathon, I'm manning a First Aid tent and walking the last 5 miles. Next weekend is Harry Potter...