"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Cooking Contests
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-12-2011, 12:19 AM   #11
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Looks good. I really want to try the latte... (ok, I want to do it all, but the latte really intrigues me). Oh.. and we have the porcini powder.
So THAT's why I had so much trouble getting it!

Maybe I will try a porcini mocha buttercream for my next cake!

I've made myself two latte's since the original one. I think they are addictive!
__________________

__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:55 AM   #12
Executive Chef
 
Bolas De Fraile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,193
LPB I am very,very impressed and I now know what Fz ref was so I will work on it
__________________

__________________
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:58 AM   #13
Head Chef
 
spork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Landlocked in Southwest U.S.
Posts: 1,123
The appetizer is ingenious, both a soup and a dip for a sampler of crispy mushrooms. Nicely done, LPB! Plus 10 points for your sportsmanship restraint from overly using your oven skills to blow this contest away.
__________________
spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:05 AM   #14
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
The appetizer is ingenious, both a soup and a dip for a sampler of crispy mushrooms. Nicely done, LPB! Plus 10 points for your sportsmanship restraint from overly using your oven skills to blow this contest away.
I didn't look at it as a "contest" to be blown away. I am impressed by everyone's efforts and the only one I was competing against was myself. I haven't created much since leaving catering a year or so ago and it felt good to be in it again. I can't wait to find out what the next topic is.

Thanks for your comment about the appetizer.
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:07 AM   #15
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
LPB I am very,very impressed and I now know what Fz ref was so I will work on it
Thanks, Bolas, I would love to see you enter in one of these friendly contests - I am interested to see your cooking style!
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:50 AM   #16
Executive Chef
 
Bolas De Fraile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,193
LPB my style is a bit cramped at the moment because of my 1200 cals a day diet, I only have 4 weeks to go before it is increased to 2000 cals.
I did make Couscous last night using dried porcini that I brought back from the market in Split Croatia, I topped the couscous with Mushroom Stroganoff.
I know my pud will be Bouche Noel, I fill with a marron glace cream and coat with the same cream with porcini dust, the dust adds an earthy taste and color, I make little white meringue mushrooms for decoration and sprinkle with more dust.

My fav mushroom breakfast using dried porcini is toasted white sourdough.
Reconstitute your mushrooms and add the liquid and mushrooms to a roux, then add a little chicken stock, some grated parm/reg and a dab of English mustard to make a fairly stiff bechamel, take off the heat and beat in egg yolks, let it set up, spread it thickly on the toast and brown under a hot grill, its my twist on the classic Welsh Rarebit.
__________________
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:03 AM   #17
Master Chef
 
DaveSoMD's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,038
That all looks great LP !!! I want to try the Truffle Truffles in Dirt. Mushrooms and chocolate...gotta be good.

Oh and NOW I know who snuck down here and bought up the enoki on me!
__________________
Quoth the chicken, "Fry some more."
AB - Good Eats: Fry Hard II
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:59 AM   #18
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
That all looks great LP !!! I want to try the Truffle Truffles in Dirt. Mushrooms and chocolate...gotta be good.

Oh and NOW I know who snuck down here and bought up the enoki on me!
Yes, the enoki were suspiciously gone from here, too! I had planned to use them in my dessert and soup. But, it also got me looking at other mushrooms.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:27 AM   #19
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
Oh and NOW I know who snuck down here and bought up the enoki on me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Yes, the enoki were suspiciously gone from here, too! I had planned to use them in my dessert and soup. But, it also got me looking at other mushrooms.
Actually I had to go to five stores before I found the enoki!






Oh, and by the way, they were all this side of the border!

But with Frank and Kathleen hording the porcini powder, I guess all is even!
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #20
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
LPB my style is a bit cramped at the moment because of my 1200 cals a day diet, I only have 4 weeks to go before it is increased to 2000 cals.
I did make Couscous last night using dried porcini that I brought back from the market in Split Croatia, I topped the couscous with Mushroom Stroganoff.
I know my pud will be Bouche Noel, I fill with a marron glace cream and coat with the same cream with porcini dust, the dust adds an earthy taste and color, I make little white meringue mushrooms for decoration and sprinkle with more dust.

My fav mushroom breakfast using dried porcini is toasted white sourdough.
Reconstitute your mushrooms and add the liquid and mushrooms to a roux, then add a little chicken stock, some grated parm/reg and a dab of English mustard to make a fairly stiff bechamel, take off the heat and beat in egg yolks, let it set up, spread it thickly on the toast and brown under a hot grill, its my twist on the classic Welsh Rarebit.
Oh, my, that all sounds so good. I never thought of using porcini powder in a bouche Noel but it makes so much sense. I love this stuff. I had only had the chance to use it once before when apprenticing, but always had it in the back of my mind as a versatile ingredient!

Well, I am off to make my morning porcini latte and start my day!
__________________

__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.