GCC - The 4 Seasons Challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was actually just about to pull out. I was having trouble getting ideas, mostly because of how wide-open this one is. Money is tight at the moment too, so I was also having difficulty justifying spending money on any new or special ingredients for a one-shot meal.

Then I decided to restrict myself to what was on-hand (pantry or freezer) or what I would normally buy in my weekly grocery shopping. That's what started to make things fall into place.

I was actually just about to pull out. I was having trouble getting ideas, mostly because of how wide-open this one is. Money is tight at the moment too, so I was also having difficulty justifying spending money on any new or special ingredients for a one-shot meal.

Then I decided to restrict myself to what was on-hand (pantry or freezer) or what I would normally buy in my weekly grocery shopping. That's what started to make things fall into place.

That's how I came up with mine. If it wasn't something I would normally buy, don't buy it. It reduced the possibilities nicely. Of course, in my favor, the Farmer's Market opened two weekends ago.

It made it even more of a challenge for me this way too.

We had three of the four courses for dinner tonight. I'll be making the fourth later this week.

I'm going to gear up and cook tomorrow...otherwise I'll be too rushed coming home from vacation.

Dave....I have been having the same trouble getting ideas, because this seems so wide open. Maybe I will pull my reins in a little and not overthink it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.:mellow:

Dave....I have been having the same trouble getting ideas, because this seems so wide open. Maybe I will pull my reins in a little and not overthink it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.:mellow:

Glad I could help.

It's funny, I decided to join because I almost immediately had a menu pop into my head. The only course that I had any trouble with was dessert, and that only took me an extra day. Then I just had to go back and tweak things for what was in season right now and for what I could afford to buy/ use the rest of in my regular cooking. Sounds like there are a few of us who are short on cash at the moment. Fortunately I already had most of my needed ingredients on hand!

The main course is cooked, photographed, and eaten. All I can say is that you don't always have to go for the really different ingredients. You don't always have to go for the spectacular. Sometimes, ordinary ingredients, when treated properly, can bring forth culinary treasure. You will see it, and the recipe. I only wish you could have eaten it. I have the ingredients for the appetizer, the desert, and the beverage. If I can do as well with those as with the main course, then I will truly be a happy man.:chef:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

It's after midnight, I still haven't done my Spring one yet, and my plane leaves in about 17 hours. I've got to get to work! I have pictures of everything (except the Spring one of course) so I may have to post it all at Nancy's. I will try to get it done tonight though, along with everything else I have been putting off! (Depression and Adult ADD can be a deadly combination -- sheesh).
:cool:

So, what time on the 28th? I'm on a weekend getaway with frineds, and if I do this contest I will inflict the meal on DH and the other couple. The resort says that they have wifi in all the condos.

We usually shoot for midnight, but the food police won't come looking if it is not posted until 3 or 4 AM. :LOL:

Yay! I finally finished all my cooking! I'm excited to share and see what others come up with, especially the latter. Very specific things popped into my head when I thought of each season, and I can't wait to see what the seasons mean to others! I want it to be Saturday already so I can see what you all did. (I won't wish too hard for that though, for taxlady's benefit!;)) It's a little silly, how excited I'm getting... If you haven't noticed, I really like the idea for this challenge. :D

All done except for my desert, and Sprout knows this one even better than I do, for she first created the idea. I hope she didn't make the same thing.:mrgreen: If it comes out as good as the other parts, I will be ecstatic. This was a great challenge theme.

Oh, and there's gonna be a new G.W. in the world this afternoon. My DIL will be giving birth to a new baby boy. And they named him after me. I am so honored and humbled. Brings a lump to my throat. His middle name is different than mine, and they will call him by his middle name. But we share the same initials. This is more exciting than anything else, even this challenge. Can you see me walking on clouds?:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I posted mine right before
I left for the airport so I hope it went through right. I had to post them all in one post since I didn't have time to wait. I am at the airport right now. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom