GCC - The 4 Seasons Challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
If I might be so bold, I'd love to suggest the next challenge. How about "Seasons"? Each course has to represent a different season.

Alix, I like your theme. And LP, you're a winner in my book. But then, you already knew that.:D

I think the polls aren't really intended to compare us to each other, at least, that's not how I use them. I use them to gauge the success of my entries, that is, what did I do correct, and how can I improve.

And that might be a better idea than a poll. We could make dishes, based on a theme, and invite people to critique what we made. I love to learn new things, and feedback is important to me.

Just a thought.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

If I might be so bold, I'd love to suggest the next challenge. How about "Seasons"? Each course has to represent a different season.

I was going to propose Strawberries since I think they are in season right now or coming into season but I'm good with Seasons.

Thanks, Alix. I realize that the vote for all is okay, it was more those that voted for 2 or 3. But I think my biggest thing is that I personally didn't need the voting - I felt I had won in my heart (and I thought everyone else did better, honestly!).

Also, it wasn't my best day so thanks everyone for putting up with my rant!

Personally, the votes are not that important to me either. I think we all did a great job. Everyone had the "creative juices flowing". I agree with Goodweed. The only thing I would use the voting for would be to gauge where my weaknesses might be, and really isn't it all a little arbitrary anyway. :LOL: I just appreciate the commraderie and friendship forged by a little healthy competition, in the end it's the people who matter.:D

Oh! and I like "Seasons" or "Strawberries" either one.

Last edited:
Personally, the votes are not that important to me either. I think we all did a great job. Everyone had the "creative juices flowing". I agree with Goodweed. The only thing I would use the voting for would be to gauge where my weaknesses might be, and really isn't it all a little arbitrary anyway. :LOL: I just appreciate the commraderie and friendship forged by a little healthy competition, in the end it's the people who matter.:D

Oh! and I like "Seasons" or "Strawberries" either one.

Actually, it's like playing a game for me. I enjoy the competition as well as getting the feedback. It's like playing monopoly, only better, because there are no losers, just friends who are challenging themselves against a theme. I think it's fun.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I was going to propose Strawberries since I think they are in season right now or coming into season but I'm good with Seasons.

Then you can do a dish with strawberries as one of your seasons! :cool:

Would we have it set that certain courses are for certain seasons or will that be up to the person doing it? I think assigning a course to a season would be good because everyone will be doing the same season, and it might add a little more challenge...i.e. what would a spring or fall drink be compared to a summer or winter one. Then again, letting each person match season and course may turn out interesting too.

I think letting folks decide season / dish would be more fun than assigning then. That way we could guess the seasons. :)

So would it be:

Each dish would feature a different "seasonal item" as the main ingredient. So say Spring/Asparagus or Summer / Sweet corn?

Or

Each dish is something you would serve during a different season or "says" that season. So like Summer / bbq or burgers, Fall / stews?

I think letting folks decide season / dish would be more fun than assigning then. That way we could guess the seasons. :)

So would it be:

Each dish would feature a different "seasonal item" as the main ingredient. So say Spring/Asparagus or Summer / Sweet corn?

Or

Each dish is something you would serve during a different season or "says" that season. So like Summer / bbq or burgers, Fall / stews?

I think it might be hard to do a "seasonal item" if they aren't in season (okay frozen works) so I like your second item. Or it could be the person's take on a seasonal item - i.e. (and now I can't use this) turning a winter drink into a summer one with frozen hot chocolate!

I would probably totally stink, and I don't have pretty dishes to present anything, but I would love to try my hand at this. I like the seasons idea. :cool:

I would probably totally stink, and I don't have pretty dishes to present anything, but I would love to try my hand at this. I like the seasons idea. :cool:

No you wouldn't and I wouldn't be looking at the dishes, just the food!:pig:

Barbara L said:

Barb......you wIll NOT "stink"! Please join in the fun. Dishes don't matter, heck you could use paper plates for Summer. Oh shoot! Gave that away. Lol!!

GCC - The 4 Seasons

Okay, it looks like this is the new challenge so it is time to give it it's own thread.

Here we can discuss what this challenge will look like, who wants to be in it and when it will be.

I think we have established that each course (appetizer, beverage, main and dessert) will depict a season and what season goes with which course is up to the individual.

Okay, let the discussions begin!;)

Ooooo! Exciting! Thanks for splitting it Laurie.

My thought was to leave it open to interpretation a bit and let your creative juices flow. Whether you do dishes that represent the seasons, or dishes that would be classic in certain seasons is your decision.

My only request is that this not be "done" til after I get back from my trip. I don't want to miss out again! I'm away from April 26-May 3, then again from the 5-8th. After that I'm a bit freer and would love to try my hand at this one. (I know I said that last time, I just got hammered timewise)

Do we need to have other rules about ingredients or can we leave it wide open?

Yeah, can we do this towards the end of May? We are being slammed with Dr's appointment and Shrek has a surgery coming up...unless I can get a home nurse arranged...I won't have much time.

What if we give ourselves the long weekend (you guys get one of those in May?) to do the prep and pix and then post the last weekend in May?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom