"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Cooking Contests

Old 04-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
Everymom

GCC - The 4 Seasons Challenge

If I might be so bold, I'd love to suggest the next challenge. How about "Seasons"? Each course has to represent a different season.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
Master Chef

Alix, I like your theme. And LP, you're a winner in my book. But then, you already knew that.

I think the polls aren't really intended to compare us to each other, at least, that's not how I use them. I use them to gauge the success of my entries, that is, what did I do correct, and how can I improve.

And that might be a better idea than a poll. We could make dishes, based on a theme, and invite people to critique what we made. I love to learn new things, and feedback is important to me.

Just a thought.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #3
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
If I might be so bold, I'd love to suggest the next challenge. How about "Seasons"? Each course has to represent a different season.
I was going to propose Strawberries since I think they are in season right now or coming into season but I'm good with Seasons.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Thanks, Alix. I realize that the vote for all is okay, it was more those that voted for 2 or 3. But I think my biggest thing is that I personally didn't need the voting - I felt I had won in my heart (and I thought everyone else did better, honestly!).

Also, it wasn't my best day so thanks everyone for putting up with my rant!
Personally, the votes are not that important to me either. I think we all did a great job. Everyone had the "creative juices flowing". I agree with Goodweed. The only thing I would use the voting for would be to gauge where my weaknesses might be, and really isn't it all a little arbitrary anyway. I just appreciate the commraderie and friendship forged by a little healthy competition, in the end it's the people who matter.

Oh! and I like "Seasons" or "Strawberries" either one.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:03 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
Personally, the votes are not that important to me either. I think we all did a great job. Everyone had the "creative juices flowing". I agree with Goodweed. The only thing I would use the voting for would be to gauge where my weaknesses might be, and really isn't it all a little arbitrary anyway. I just appreciate the commraderie and friendship forged by a little healthy competition, in the end it's the people who matter.

Oh! and I like "Seasons" or "Strawberries" either one.
Actually, it's like playing a game for me. I enjoy the competition as well as getting the feedback. It's like playing monopoly, only better, because there are no losers, just friends who are challenging themselves against a theme. I think it's fun.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
I was going to propose Strawberries since I think they are in season right now or coming into season but I'm good with Seasons.
Then you can do a dish with strawberries as one of your seasons!

Would we have it set that certain courses are for certain seasons or will that be up to the person doing it? I think assigning a course to a season would be good because everyone will be doing the same season, and it might add a little more challenge...i.e. what would a spring or fall drink be compared to a summer or winter one. Then again, letting each person match season and course may turn out interesting too.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #7
Master Chef

Site Moderator

I think letting folks decide season / dish would be more fun than assigning then. That way we could guess the seasons.

So would it be:

Each dish would feature a different "seasonal item" as the main ingredient. So say Spring/Asparagus or Summer / Sweet corn?

Or

Each dish is something you would serve during a different season or "says" that season. So like Summer / bbq or burgers, Fall / stews?
Old 04-11-2011, 09:53 PM   #8
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
I think letting folks decide season / dish would be more fun than assigning then. That way we could guess the seasons.

So would it be:

Each dish would feature a different "seasonal item" as the main ingredient. So say Spring/Asparagus or Summer / Sweet corn?

Or

Each dish is something you would serve during a different season or "says" that season. So like Summer / bbq or burgers, Fall / stews?
I think it might be hard to do a "seasonal item" if they aren't in season (okay frozen works) so I like your second item. Or it could be the person's take on a seasonal item - i.e. (and now I can't use this) turning a winter drink into a summer one with frozen hot chocolate!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:43 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The 4 seasons, your interpretation of each season, in any order you would like.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:16 PM   #10
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I would probably totally stink, and I don't have pretty dishes to present anything, but I would love to try my hand at this. I like the seasons idea.