Golden Chef Challenge: Chocolate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
So, let's go over the rules again.
Theme ingredient - chocolate, in any form

1. The theme ingredient must be used in all recipes posted
2. Recipes for each item will be provided in the post
3. Pictures of the finished items will be posted
4. There will be three courses, appetizer, main course, desert, and a beverage
5. Contestant must give an accurate critique of each recipe, telling difficulty, quality of the foods prepared, i.e. taste, texture, execution.
6. All entries will be posted no later than Feb. 12, 2011 by 9:00 p.m. Pacific Time.

Judging will be done by poll. Poll categories:

1. Best plating
2. Best flavor, appetizer
3. Best flavor, main course
4. Best flavor desert
5. Best flavor, beverage
6. Most competent use of the theme ingredient
7. Most imaginative use of theme ingredient
8. Who do you think did the best job?

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

This may be a silly question, but how are we to judge best flavor, is it the flavor profiles we prefer???

Okay, first of all, it is FIVE courses. Second, this poll is not the final product. We will have a series of polls set up soon. But they will not be usuable until all 3 contestants have posted their entries.

One question that concerns me is that we can't have the entries and the votes both due on Feb 12th. But we also can't have one person posting on the first and the other 2 waiting. That would be a possible unfair advantage. So, posting of entries will be on February 12th from 12 am to 9 pm PST, and voting will close on February 15th, midnight PST.

Goodweed?

Okay, first of all, it is FIVE courses. Second, this poll is not the final product. We will have a series of polls set up soon. But they will not be usuable until all 3 contestants have posted their entries.

One question that concerns me is that we can't have the entries and the votes both due on Feb 12th. But we also can't have one person posting on the first and the other 2 waiting. That would be a possible unfair advantage. So, posting of entries will be on February 12th from 12 am to 9 pm PST, and voting will close on February 15th, midnight PST.

Goodweed?

One of the other contestants has already created her meal. I did mine today....and am DYING to share! Honestly, I'm not so worried that someone would take an idea. I just want to post my items. Besides...my taster has to comment as well. :)

Okay give me a few minutes and I will have all the polls and entry threads ready and we can let the games begin. As soon as you see a thread entitled "GCCC - your name" (GCCC meaning Golden Chef Challenge Chocolate) you may post whenever you want!

All Polls are up, as well as the three contestant areas. I see that one contestant has already started posting her courses. I am sure the others won't be far behind and then you can start the voting.

If you find any mistakes in the threads please don't hesitate to let me know; if you are unsure of the rules, I will leave that to Goodweed who started this!

Joy, if you look at the pool thread titles, I have listed them as course 1, 2, 3 etc. so you can make each course what you want. :)

As for waiting until the 12th, that is fine; however no one should vote until all entries are in. I put everything up last night because I was getting the feeling that everyone was ready and anxious to get started. I am only doing the technical work - Goodweed is still in charge!

Last edited:
I came up with this contest, not so that we compete against each other, but so that we compete against ourselves, raise the bar a bit. I was hoping that we would challenge ourselves, not truly compete against each other.

At the chili cookoff that I participate in every year, I'm not competing against other people, but trying to make my chili the best that it can be. I simply use the judges as a way to gauge my success, and I learn a little bit more with every cookoff.

This isn't serious competition. It's supposed to be a fun way to poke our collective imagination, our creativity. If I was participating in this thing,, and even as I'm not, except as the guy who put it together, I would be picking the recipes apart, gleaning from them new techniques, new flavors, and inspiration. Inspiration is what we need to get from this competition.

So go ahead, create, challenge yourself. But most of all, have fun.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone wishes to enter this contest, please PM me and I will add your name to the polls and create your contest thread.

If anyone has any questions about the set-up of the polls or the timing of this, also please do not hesitate to contact me.

I really do encourage others to stretch your imaginations on this. Even if you only come up with one course and it is something amazing or something simple, go for it.

Last edited:
Now that I have some clarification, I would see no problem in posting before the 12th. After all, there is nothing to get worked up over if we use the same ingredients since we will all be using chocolate anyway and this is a friendly game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom