"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Cooking Contests

Old 09-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #151
Chef Extraordinaire

I never heard of those Hanky Pankies. They sound really good. Nice little appy or munching food. I might just make those for Cleveland's by week.

And on the other end of that matchup is me making Viking food for week three of PPPC II.
I started off the day making Kornmjölsgröt, or barley porridge. I used the recipe from here and added some salt cod to it to make it more of a dinner. I'll be doing a round 2 later from the same site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Barley Porridge with fish.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	18677  

Old 09-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #152
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post

I never made them before either. And am "dough challenged" , but they were really pretty easy. Half the trick of doing this is finding just the right recipe (read easy ). In my case I have to pretty much halve everything I find.

As many times as I've been to Detroit I never considered them a fish fry and pierogie community. I do believe they are on my team's schedule this year, so better see what looks good.
You have to remember that Detroit is the football team representative for all of Michigan (which is why I watch hockey instead), not just Detroit. Although there are a fair number of yoopers (from the U.P. of MI) that decide to be Packers fans instead. Anyways, just because fish fries and pierogies don't seem like "Detroit" foods doesn't mean they aren't solid MI foods and pretty common just outside of Detroit. Fresh water fish is pretty common on the menu in pretty much every place in MI, especially whitefish, lake trout, and other Great Lakes fish (we are kind of surrounded by three of the five ya know). Venison is also pretty common in the more rural communities (and amongst hunters in the cities). Bear isn't unheard of either. And lots of people in the state make "northern" style chili of some sort or another. White chili is also pretty popular. And for some reason americanized chinese food seems really popular. Tiny little towns that you wouldn't even think would have a restraunt by some strange phenomenon will have a place that serves "Chinese" food. Or you could go really local and have frozen pizza. Even the villages that are too small for a grocer have a gas station that sells frozen pizzas and they're popular with college and university kids.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #153
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
You have to remember that Detroit is the football team representative for all of Michigan (which is why I watch hockey instead), not just Detroit. Although there are a fair number of yoopers (from the U.P. of MI) that decide to be Packers fans instead. Anyways, just because fish fries and pierogies don't seem like "Detroit" foods doesn't mean they aren't solid MI foods and pretty common just outside of Detroit. Fresh water fish is pretty common on the menu in pretty much every place in MI, especially whitefish, lake trout, and other Great Lakes fish (we are kind of surrounded by three of the five ya know). Venison is also pretty common in the more rural communities (and amongst hunters in the cities). Bear isn't unheard of either. And lots of people in the state make "northern" style chili of some sort or another. White chili is also pretty popular. And for some reason americanized chinese food seems really popular. Tiny little towns that you wouldn't even think would have a restraunt by some strange phenomenon will have a place that serves "Chinese" food. Or you could go really local and have frozen pizza. Even the villages that are too small for a grocer have a gas station that sells frozen pizzas and they're popular with college and university kids.
I'm not sure I follow you, pag. I'm not out to make common foods, but rather foods a place is known for, or that has some association. Google Detroit foods or cuisine and square Sicilian pizza and Coney Island dogs come up more than the food items you mentioned. But yes, of course Michigan people eat other things
Old 09-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #154
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
...Then I discovered this— never heard of these before and they are a perfect tail gate munchables. Hanky Panky’s...
*groan* I haven't made those for so long Himself forgot what they are! I'll have to make a mini-batch later on, sometime in winter. Thanks for jogging my memory buds.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #155
Master Chef

Pac, my Man, whatever you did today, you MUST do every single Sunday for the rest of the season! I forgot all about the Browns since I'm fully immersed in the Indians' playoff run right now. Still in the Wild Card game! But I digress...I opened up my homepage, checked the score, and saw that there was only a minute left and Browns were down by < a TD. Flipped over to CBSsports to get the game tracker on just in time to see seconds left and the BROWNS WINNING? Yay, you did it! Must. Make. This. Food. For. Weeks. And. Weeks......
Old 09-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #156
Chef Extraordinaire

CG, even if it means eating porridge every Sunday?
I hear ya though. Where did this team come from? We showed signs when we played the Ravens, but we actually looked like a team out there today for pretty much the whole game, especially because we picked ourselves up at the end.
The clash of the 0-3 teams ends in a Browns win!!!
Old 09-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #157
Executive Chef

Quote:

I'm not sure I follow you, pag. I'm not out to make common foods, but rather foods a place is known for, or that has some association. Google Detroit foods or cuisine and square Sicilian pizza and Coney Island dogs come up more than the food items you mentioned. But yes, of course Michigan people eat other things
What I meant is that Detroit (as a team) represents the entire state. So you could also look at foods that are distinctive to MI as a whole and not just what is distinctive to Detroit specifically.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #158
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
What I meant is that Detroit (as a team) represents the entire state. So you could also look at foods that are distinctive to MI as a whole and not just what is distinctive to Detroit specifically.
If I can't find a food I like (or want to make) from the team's namesake, then I broaden it out to the state.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #159
Executive Chef

Quote:
I never heard of those Hanky Pankies. They sound really good. Nice little appy or munching food. I might just make those for Cleveland's by week.

And on the other end of that matchup is me making Viking food for week three of PPPC II.
I started off the day making Kornmjölsgröt, or barley porridge. I used the recipe from here and added some salt cod to it to make it more of a dinner. I'll be doing a round 2 later from the same site.
Pac, I think you captured the fundamental meaning of Viking food. Pale, white food is a common denominator. And the added cod is true to Scand. cuisine. Good thing you have a colorful bowl. Now, how did it taste.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #160
Certified Pretend Chef

Must have been a lucky dish, pac. Your guys won!