PPPC-II. It's baaaack...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alrighty then!
It's week 9 and the Browns are playing their old sel... err, I mean the Ravens again. There isn't a whole lotta preppin' or long cooking times today because seafood is on the menu. So we'll let these Maryland Crab Cakes rest a while in the fridge and I'll get back to you.

Mmmm, I had some she-crab soup for lunch today. I bet those crab cakes will be yummy :yum:

It was Vikings at Cowboys today. The Vikings almost didn't lose.

It was an easy decision once I decided to make Texas Chili today. But o my. So many recipes. To avoid controversy I decided, no beans. I bought a pretty good lookng chuck roast to cut into bite size pieces. I've only ever made chili with coarse or regular grind burger, so this is a treat. In the end I didn't use any recipe. I was going to make cornbread to go with, except I made a late breakfast waffles and sausages. Think I'll hold off on the cb today.

Wish I was hungry because after a long slow simmer it tastes pretty good.

It was Vikings at Cowboys today. The Vikings almost didn't lose.

It was an easy decision once I decided to make Texas Chili today. But o my. So many recipes. To avoid controversy I decided, no beans. I bought a pretty good lookng chuck roast to cut into bite size pieces. I've only ever made chili with coarse or regular grind burger, so this is a treat. In the end I didn't use any recipe. I was going to make cornbread to go with, except I made a late breakfast waffles and sausages. Think I'll hold off on the cb today.

Wish I was hungry because after a long slow simmer it tastes pretty good.

I always us cubes of chuck for chili. It makes a significant difference.

Thanks for looking everyone. :)

"She crab soup"... I'll have to Google that one, GG.

I don't recall what type of meat I used a couple years ago, Whiskas, when Cleveland played Houston I think, but the chili was pretty good. Served in a torn open Frito bag like Texans (apparently) like to do. Texas chili is good. But really most chili is good :yum: It's a nice changeup, like Cincie chile.

Baltimore is done and over with for another year (whew).
On the menu was Maryland crab cakes, oysters on the half shell and Maryland oyster stew. First time shucking my own oysters, but it made more sense than buying a container of them.

Attachments

• oysters1.jpg
    oysters1.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 197
  • oyster stew.jpg
    oyster stew.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 152
  • crab cakes & oysters.jpg
    crab cakes & oysters.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 192
We got the He Crabs when we went to Baltimore with Baby Bro and his wife the Princess years ago. Newspaper and boy crabs (I didn't look too closely) boiled in Old Bay, lots of labor to get the meat, but they were really good.

For some reason, the girl crabs are saved for She Crab soup. What up with that?

Last edited:
Great spread, pac. I have to say, when you set a goal for yourself you don't skimp. You could have gone with just the crab cakes or the oyster stew but you went the extra mile and created a full course dinner.

We got the He Crabs when we went to Baltimore with Baby Bro and his wife the Princess years ago. Newspaper and boy crabs (I didn't look too closely) boiled in Old Bay, lots of labor to get the meat, but they were really good.

For some reason, the girl crabs are saved for She Crab soup. What up with that?

Crabs are steamed not boiled. Seasoned with Old Bay or Wye River.

Most people think the male crabs have sweeter meat. I can't tell the difference. The roe in the females is ok, but I can eat either happily.

The one thing I will say is 1 female will spawn millions of crabs. One male may not be involved at all. Right now you can't take females recreationally, but the commercial crabbers can. I would love to see that stop for a while. Rebuild the population for a while, but the watermen whine they will be put our of business. Wonder what they will do if all the crabs go away.

really have "pushed the boat out" this time pac;)!!....looks & sounds fabulous mate,excellent job,one to be mighty proud of:chef:!

Ahhh, interesting.
You never know what you will learn here.

Thanks for looking everyone. :)

"She crab soup"... I'll have to Google that one, GG.

I don't recall what type of meat I used a couple years ago, Whiskas, when Cleveland played Houston I think, but the chili was pretty good. Served in a torn open Frito bag like Texans (apparently) like to do. Texas chili is good. But really most chili is good :yum: It's a nice changeup, like Cincie chile.

Baltimore is done and over with for another year (whew).
On the menu was Maryland crab cakes, oysters on the half shell and Maryland oyster stew. First time shucking my own oysters, but it made more sense than buying a container of them.

The crabcakes look really good. I tried raw oysters and I just can't eat them. I have had oysters rockefeller and they were ok, but not something I'd make. My mother used to put canned oysters in her stuffing. I tried it once but didn't notice the difference so I never did it again.

Thanks Carol.
And what's more with the crab cakes... they stayed together this year! :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom