"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Cooking Contests

Old 09-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I like that idea I don't really follow football, but DH does. We grew up in Michigan, so it's the Lions. I understand it's a tough team to support, since they lose a lot. But munching on their opponents' food might make that bearable. Maybe. I'll check with DH

So, checking their schedule, first up is the Minnesota Vikings! I will not be looking for lutefisk, sorry. I think I'll check the Ethnic section for Scandinavian recipes from CWS and taxlady
Perfect time for Smörgåsbord (Smörgåsbord - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Here are some links to some recipes:

A Summer Smorgasbord - A Selection of Recipes for Cold and Refreshing Scandinavian Smorgasbord Dishes

Smörgåsbord

Unless you plan on inviting everyone in town, you do not make all of those dishes. No matter how hard I try to limit the amount of food, I always regret not having invited the Swedish Army.

We always start with the cold table (the last link has the appropriate order in which to eat from the different tables). When that is done, we move on to the hot table, followed by the dessert table. We usually have at least 3 desserts, at Christmas 7 kinds of cookies plus 2-3 desserts.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Feel free when the time comes to give me any foods Detroit is known for because I saw them on Cleveland's schedule
Maybe I won't make anything that week, in recognition of them declaring bankruptcy
And I was thinking poutine for Minn.

I wish Philly was on my schedule, Hoot.

I just came back from a preliminary scan of the local Giant Eagle. I picked up some things and was happy to hear they would order something in for me
Oooh, poutine! What a great idea! That would go nicely with the salmon, don't you think? I can make a fresh farmer's cheese to use with that.

Go ahead and enjoy Detroit's food! We were there in the beginning of August and had a wonderful dinner in downtown Detroit before going to a Tigers game. The park was sold out and the streets were full of people. It just needs to contract somewhat

Since DH is of Polish descent, I'm going to suggest that route: grilled kielbasa, pierogies stuffed with mashed potatoes and topped with caramelized onions, and cucumber-sour cream-dill salad.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Poutine isn't really MN, it is Quebec.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Perfect time for Smörgåsbord (Smörgåsbord - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Here are some links to some recipes:

A Summer Smorgasbord - A Selection of Recipes for Cold and Refreshing Scandinavian Smorgasbord Dishes

Smörgåsbord

Unless you plan on inviting everyone in town, you do not make all of those dishes. No matter how hard I try to limit the amount of food, I always regret not having invited the Swedish Army.

We always start with the cold table (the last link has the appropriate order in which to eat from the different tables). When that is done, we move on to the hot table, followed by the dessert table. We usually have at least 3 desserts, at Christmas 7 kinds of cookies plus 2-3 desserts.
Wow, that sounds wonderful! Maybe I'll do poutine for lunch and Smörgåsbord for dinner Gravlax, marinated cucumbers, Havarti cookies and maybe the sandwich cake. Yum
Old 09-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Wow, that sounds wonderful! Maybe I'll do poutine for lunch and Smörgåsbord for dinner
Smörgåsbord takes a lot of time to prepare. I usually do as much prep work a couple of days in advance and the "assembly" and cooking on the day I'm serving. If you go with a toned down version, you cannot omit the herring and beet salad or the herring at the beginning. I make my Jannsen's Temptation the day before because I always think it is better reheated.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Ah, well, it's probably better to wait till it gets colder to make poutine. The Smörgåsbord idea sounds really good As soon as you said that, I remembered the 15-countries-in-30-days trip to Europe my mom gave me as a high-school graduation present. We spent a couple of days in Denmark and had a Smörgåsbord for dinner. It was delicious.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Ah, well, it's probably better to wait till it gets colder to make poutine. The Smörgåsbord idea sounds really good As soon as you said that, I remembered the 15-countries-in-30-days trip to Europe my mom gave me as a high-school graduation present. We spent a couple of days in Denmark and had a Smörgåsbord for dinner. It was delicious.
When we would do this at Christmas, we started eating around 3:00 p.m. and usually finished around 3:00 a.m. I don't recall needing lunch (or breakfast) on those days. And, there were still leftovers. Just be sure to cover the bread completely with butter (to the edges) so that the bread doesn't get soggy.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Oooh, poutine! What a great idea! That would go nicely with the salmon, don't you think? I can make a fresh farmer's cheese to use with that.

Go ahead and enjoy Detroit's food! We were there in the beginning of August and had a wonderful dinner in downtown Detroit before going to a Tigers game. The park was sold out and the streets were full of people. It just needs to contract somewhat

Since DH is of Polish descent, I'm going to suggest that route: grilled kielbasa, pierogies stuffed with mashed potatoes and topped with caramelized onions, and cucumber-sour cream-dill salad.
I'll have to think on that. Pierogies is also Cleveland and Pittsburgh. And I was saving the kielbasa for when we play Green Bay. But duly noted
Old 09-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I thought Quebec was part of MN

It originated in Canada, but it's pretty popular in northern states here, too. Good stuff. Squeak, squeak.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I'll have to think on that. Pierogies is also Cleveland and Pittsburgh. And I was saving the kielbasa for when we play Green Bay. But duly noted
At one time, Poland was the largest country in the western world They just weren't very good at politics. Wiener schnitzel is also a Polish dish, predating the Austrian empire, and apparently dill pickle soup is another specialty.

You could have bratwurst for Green Bay