PPPC-II. It's baaaack...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At one time, Poland was the largest country in the western world ;) They just weren't very good at politics. Wiener schnitzel is also a Polish dish, predating the Austrian empire, and apparently dill pickle soup is another specialty.

You could have bratwurst for Green Bay :)

Something long and tubular will be going on the grill :yum:
Beer brats. That's it.
Plenty of time to think on that.

Actually a smørrebrødsbord (Danish for smörgåsbord) can be as simple or elaborate as you want to make it. It just means an (open-faced) sandwich table. The bread is usually really heavy/dense rye bread in 2mm (slightly more than 1/16 ") slices and/or crisp rye bread, e.g., Rye Crisp, Wasa, Ryvita. The bread, spreads, garnishes, fish, hard boiled eggs, cheeses, etc. are all put on the table and everyone makes their own sammies. To be authentically Scandinavian, you start with fish, then on to the meat, and finish with the cheeses. Eggs and vegis are eaten any time, but are often used as a palate cleanser between the fish and meat or between the meat and the cheese.

This is the heavy rye bread I'm talking about. Looks like they started with a 1 kg (2.2 lbs) loaf:

images

2Q==

Actually a smørrebrødsbord (Danish for smörgåsbord) can be as simple or elaborate as you want to make it. It just means an (open-faced) sandwich table. The bread is usually really heavy/dense rye bread in 2mm (slightly more than 1/16 ") slices and/or crisp rye bread, e.g., Rye Crisp, Wasa, Ryvita. The bread, spreads, garnishes, fish, hard boiled eggs, cheeses, etc. are all put on the table and everyone makes their own sammies. To be authentically Scandinavian, you start with fish, then on to the meat, and finish with the cheeses. Eggs and vegis are eaten any time, but are often used as a palate cleanser between the fish and meat or between the meat and the cheese.

This is the heavy rye bread I'm talking about. Looks like they started with a 1 kg (2.2 lbs) loaf:

images

2Q==
Do you find that in Montreal? I soooo love a nice Schwartbrot...btw, I wouldn't say the smorgasbord I ate in Stockholm were simple...they were quite elaborate, but were for 25th birthday parties or similar events. But, I do suspect most of the food was catered and not prepared by the ladies of the house.

Last edited:
We had a smørrebrødsbord party once. Small apt. I set up a 6 foot ladder and cut boards to fit across the rungs for serving. We layed placemats over the boards. Breads on one tier, meats, cheeses etc next levels. Festive. I suspect we had plenty of room for ice and beer and wine.

Pac, think pickled herring and crackers not poutine in minnesota.

Right now my PPPC is focusing on Miami, Whiskas, but when the time comes I'll do my due diligent research.

I tried a Cuban roast/sandwich once and wasn't happy with it. For Miami, I think I'd go for seafood. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with, Pac.

Do you find that in Montreal? I soooo love a nice Schwartbrot...btw, I wouldn't say the smorgasbord I ate in Stockholm were simple...they were quite elaborate, but were for 25th birthday parties or similar events. But, I do suspect most of the food was catered and not prepared by the ladies of the house.
Yup, I get a really good, organic, German one at Mourelatos. They slice the bread the wrong way, but it still works (they slice it the long way :wacko:).

I wasn't active here at DC for your first challenge pac. Looking forward to following you along on this one though. Don't know if I'll make any opponent-specific food though. Since the Brownies are playing Miami all I can think of is grilled "dolphin" (would tuna on the grill do?) or, if I want to stretch myself a bit, I might MIGHT attempt arepas - although I'm not sure I could find the required cornmeal in time. Besides, all I can think of right now is "brownies". :yum: Ooo, maybe I'll just bake up a pan of bakechef's recipe every week! :idea:

Here we go Brownies, Here we go! Woof! Woof! :)

Brownies sound good!
I just printed out my three recipes. I need to make a list for the store tomorrow.

Wow, that sounds wonderful! Maybe I'll do poutine for lunch and Smörgåsbord for dinner :) Gravlax, marinated cucumbers, Havarti cookies and maybe the sandwich cake. Yum :yum:

So, I mentioned the Smörgåsbord idea to DH and his first reaction was, "You're not going to make that salty salmon, are you?" :ermm: We had a Danish exchange student years ago and at Christmas, his parents sent him a goodie box of canned fish products, breads, etc. I didn't remember having salmon, but I do remember some sort of fish pate that we didn't especially like. DH likes dark brown breads, but I can't eat high-fiber foods. I may have to do Swedish meatballs :ohmy: ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom