"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Cooking Contests

Old 10-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #221
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
This recipe could have used more bite to it. Maybe more cumin and chili powder, but it was still pretty good. And another week under my belt... well, maybe a little over my belt
Week 6 Detroit Coney Dogs.

gawd, will you look at them beauties...exaakkly how i like 'em, too--big plateful of sloppy, oozy, spilling-out n' overstuffed chili dawgs!

Old 10-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #222
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Carol.
Thanks Vit.

The taste was stronger than I first thought, as I could pretty much taste them all night, in a good way (not a burping way, lol). They didn't have the kick of the Greek dogs served around Erie, but you were spot on, Vit. They were overflowing and oozy. Just perfect.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #223
Chef Extraordinaire

Andy, I saw that game (football). I can't believe they came back. The Saints fell back on their heels and whadayaknow? The receivers started hanging onto the football. Heckuva finish. And great highlite on that grand slam. Did you see the catcher in the bullpen actually caught the ball? Didn't even flinch with that guy rolling over the fence, lol.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #224
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
KB, you don't say where you're from, so maybe you have no clue, but no, here in the US the Super Bowl hasn't ended yet. It's not even halfway through our football season. Otherwise how could I even be doing this if my team wasn't playing?
Oh, I'm from the US and IN the US. I just have 0% sports-watching DNA. And since the only TV I watch is online (mostly PBS) I never see even so much as an ad - so I have no idea when whatever-season starts or ends, LOL! Football always confuses me - seems to me it shouldn't be over until around Thanksgiving, but since I don't celebrate that either, I don't really have a very good idea of when the superbowl comes around.

Heck, since they started putting up Xmas stuff at Halloween (or earlier), I find myself coming more and more unglued in time ... LOL!
Old 10-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #225
Chef Extraordinaire

Ugh, I hate the way the holidays get earlier and earlier.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #226
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Amazing Comeback Day in Boston. First Brady brought the Pats back to beat the Saints with 5 seconds to go. Then the Red Sox fought back from a 5-1 deficit with a grand slam in the bottom of the 8th and a walk-off run for the win in the bottom of the 9th!

Lots of yelling at the Andy M. household Sunday!
You Too? Spike stayed home all day so he could be rested up for the games. Sorry Cooking Goddess. Not like him to miss a day of work. That last second win by Brady was amazing. Now that is the Pats I know and love!

Andy, one year (my memory fails me here) we were playing for a championship. It was the last seconds of the game and we were behind. I changed the channel thinking we lost. At the last second I switched back just in time to see the ball sailing between the posts. Lesson learned. I always make sure I see the very last seconds of any Pats game.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #227
Chef Extraordinaire

Week 7 already.
Today my Browns are playing the Packers, as in Green Bay Packers.
Today's menu came from this site Superbowl Recipe: Squeaky Cheese and Other Green Bay Treats - CaryCitizen | CaryCitizen
I will be making the brats with holding sauce and fried cheese curds
Old 10-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #228
Executive Chef

Looks good Pac. Tomatoes in the holding sauce. Those crazy cheese-heads. Never heard of it, but it sounds good.

PS. Thanks for doing part of my research. Vikes play GB next week and again late Nov. Definitely brats one week. I notice the link says German potato salad is acceptable to serve alongside brats, so I might do that. And included in the Wis food pyramid -- brats, beer and cheese, walleye could be included, so there's that to consider.

Normally when GB plays another team, I cheer for them, after-all we are neigbhors. Today I will change my attitude and go Browns
Old 10-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #229
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the cheer, whiska, we need all the help we can get!

Yeah, the holding sauce... I'm not sure if I'm supposed to reduce that or what. I think it would be tasty to put some on the sandwich, but not if it's the consistency of soup.
Although I am cooking it on the side burner on my grill, so at the moment I have no idea how it's going to come out, lol. Bit of a heat regulation learning curve.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #230
Executive Chef

Ny Ny

Giants vs Vikings. Why oh why does this merit Monday Night football for either team.

Frank Sinatra was from Jersey. The Giants play in the meadow lands. I guess that about covers it. You can stop reading now if you want. Itís quite possible the Statue of Liberty is located in part of Jersey, although it is seldom acknowledged. ďAs agreed in an 1834 compact between New York and New Jersey that set the state border at the bay's midpoint, the original islands remain New York territory despite their location on the New Jersey side of the state line. Land created by reclamation at Ellis is New Jersey territory. ď This logically explains why NY Giants play in New Jersey today.

What is the best foods to be found in NY? NY is famous for so many foods. Pizza and bagels. Both claim itís the water that makes them distinctive. Lindyís cheesecake, deli pastrami and reubens.

I settled on a NY Strip steak. Go big or donít play. I found one that is nicely marbled. I usually donít look at this cut, I much prefer grilled sirloins. Grilled unless itís actively raining. Well, they play football in the rain, So I guess I should Plan on grilling. No more heavy decisions today.