"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Cooking Contests

Old 10-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #231
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Week 7 already.
Today my Browns are playing the Packers, as in Green Bay Packers.
Today's menu came from this site Superbowl Recipe: Squeaky Cheese and Other Green Bay Treats - CaryCitizen | CaryCitizen
I will be making the brats with holding sauce and fried cheese curds
Never heard of fried cheese curds, but they look extremely yummy! I checked out the recipe and it looks straightforward enough - but I assume you have to form "balls" out of the curd? (Unless curds on your side of the pond are already in balls or lumps?) And is there really no bread-crumbing involved? I definitely need to see a pic of the finished product Pac!

Also, can you explain what "holding sauce" means? It's not a term I have heard before.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #232
Executive Chef

Oh yeah, you got the new grill this summer. Having a side burner right next to you is usefull. I forget off the top my head what grill you settled on. I remember you had to run a gas line direct. Smart idea. I always give myself whip lash when we walk into Home Depot or Sears etc. Gotta take a look at all the grills, like I've never seen one before.

I like my Weber kettle I got a year or so ago. The kettle looks the same, but it regulates the heat so it performs so much better. The old one was missing several fly wheels, so it was always wide open. That, and using a probe thermometer makes for better grilling.

Ahh I see the Browns play 2nd afternoon games today. I say Good luck to everybody's teams today.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #233
Chef Extraordinaire

Katy, the holding sauce is for holding the brats at the ready. Basically just to keep them warm until you are ready to eat one. I had never heard of this before either, but my brats are in the holding sauce as I type.

Whiska! NY Strip! Great idea!
I think my team is playing either the Giants or Jets and I was getting a bit overwhelmed with all the choices. Unfortunately, many which require some kind of dough (which I did not want to get into on a Sunday). Steak. Perfect.

And thanks for the history lesson. I did not realize that about the islands.
And you have Josh to look forward to, don't you? Isn't he starting today? That might be a spark.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #234
Head Chef

Quote:
Katy, the holding sauce is for holding the brats at the ready. Basically just to keep them warm until you are ready to eat one. I had never heard of this before either, but my brats are in the holding sauce as I type.
Ah! Now it all makes sense! Thanks Pac!

Hope your meal all comes together beautifully!
Old 10-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #235
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm saving the curds for tonight, when I do round 2 on the brats.
You can buy cheese curds here already formed into a little ball, shaped like gnocchi. I am not looking forward to dipping those little things into a batter... I have a hard time handling tiny breaded/battered food and getting it into the oil without the batter coming off on my fingers or whatever I'm using.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #236
Executive Chef

Katy,

Cheese curds are a famous food served at State Fairs, which most states have once per year. Served deep fried at many local fairs too. Hot, the best are grease free after frying. And yes, they Squeak when you bite into them. We can buy them ready to cook in the freezer section at the store.

Vikings, 3rd new quarterback in 3 weeks. Hoping third times the charm.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #237
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Katy,

Cheese curds are a famous food served at State Fairs, which most states have once per year. Served deep fried at many local fairs too. Hot, the best are grease free after frying. And yes, they Squeak when you bite into them. We can buy them ready to cook in the freezer section at the store.
I wonder if I could achieve a similar effect using mini buffalo mozzarella balls? Those I can get hold easily enough. (Needless to say, no curds at my local stores!)

They sound simply divine!
Old 10-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #238
Executive Chef

Yes. Breaded with panko crumbs or fine bread crumbs or Italian bread crumbs. Not sure how to make 'em stick to the cheese, maybe dip the cheese in a batter first? Serve with Beer and a dipping sauce for the cheese.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #239
Head Chef

Quote:
I'm saving the curds for tonight, when I do round 2 on the brats.
You can buy cheese curds here already formed into a little ball, shaped like gnocchi. I am not looking forward to dipping those little things into a batter... I have a hard time handling tiny breaded/battered food and getting it into the oil without the batter coming off on my fingers or whatever I'm using.
Well do please post a pic!
Old 10-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #240
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Yes. Breaded with panko crumbs or fine bread crumbs or Italian bread crumbs. Not sure how to make 'em stick to the cheese, maybe dip the cheese in a batter first? Serve with Beer and a dipping sauce for the cheese.
In the recipe that Pac posted a link to, it describes a batter that you dip the curds into but says nothing about breadcrumbs - but the picture does look like they are crumbed.

The good news is, after many years, my local store is finally stocking panko crumbs! Progress or what?