"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Cooking Contests

Old 11-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #321
Chef Extraordinaire

Here are the recipes I used yesterday.
Maryland Crab Cakes Recipe - How to Make Maryland Crab Cakes
Oyster Stew Recipe - Allrecipes.com (I subbed 14 fresh oysters for canned and halved the recipe)

Old 11-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #322
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Here are the recipes I used yesterday.
Maryland Crab Cakes Recipe - How to Make Maryland Crab Cakes
Oyster Stew Recipe - Allrecipes.com (I subbed 14 fresh oysters for canned and halved the recipe)

Thanks! Someone wrote a review and stated that she likes a little more flavor so she used 1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning instead of 1/2. What do you think of that? How was the flavor in yours?

Old 11-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #323
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Thanks! Someone wrote a review and stated that she likes a little more flavor so she used 1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning instead of 1/2. What do you think of that? How was the flavor in yours?
Too much red pepper
I used more than a pinch and it had a little warmth to it. I should have used more Old Bay

oops. Edited because I just realized you were talking about the cakes. I had stew on my mind from reading Z's post.
I thought they were fine. I think they would have been fine with more OB, too, but the crab stood out just like it's supposed to.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #324
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Too much red pepper
I used more than a pinch and it had a little warmth to it. I should have used more Old Bay

oops. Edited because I just realized you were talking about the cakes. I had stew on my mind from reading Z's post.
I thought they were fine. I think they would have been fine with more OB, too, but the crab stood out just like it's supposed to.

I agree. With the price you pay for crab, you want to be able to taste it!
Old 11-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #325
Executive Chef

Football week starts so soon when it's Thursday night Football. Wash DC vs Vikings. I was thinking if it was the weekend I might make a kettle of (Senate) bean soup. I zoomed in on the Wash Half Smoke hot dogs instead. Soup would have been easier. Not sure if Half Smokes refer to being half beef and half pork or sausage, are they only smoked a little or the fact that they are often split down the middle before being splayed on a bun. Also, it seems acceptable to serve either with chili or with mustard onions and pickle relish. Flavor description I found says a Hillshire Farms Link Sausage is the closest description. I have a pkg of skin on dogs in the freezer which are defrosting faster than I type. I hope.

Going with Grilled, it's a nice day, balmy near 40 F. no wind. Ball Park mustard, diced onion marinating in vinegar and there are sweet pickles to mince for a relish. Should have planned ahead and saved a spoonful of last weekend's Tejas chili to jazz these babies. Buns can toast alongside the dogs. Sides are simple, this is front row TV football. I bought a bag of regular potatoe chips ( I almost never have chips in the house) and Sour cream and Lipton onion soup Dip. I'll be sure and make an extra dog for half time in case I am feeling a bit peak-ed << depending how the game goes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HALFSMOKE_500.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	19516  
Old 11-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #326
Executive Chef

Ha. I forgot. When I was back in the freezer to pull out some buns, I found some frozen deli soups that were on sale recent, including Chili. So
it's Chili dogs.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #327
Chef Extraordinaire

Half smoke? I never heard of those either, nor know what that means.
Enjoy your game and dogs. My team has a by this week.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #328
Executive Chef

Even with a by week, I hope you find someting good to nosh on.

I never heard of them either. Easier for me to make 'em how I like. Apparently Half Smokes are a famous DC street vendor's food. Also famous since the Prez ate at Ben's Chili Bowl.

About Us | Ben's Chili Bowl
Old 11-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #329
Chef Extraordinaire

I'll probably make the same thing I did a couple years ago, pierogies. I hate messing with flour, but it is what it is. I can make them once every couple years, lol.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #330
Chef Extraordinaire

So, another week has come and gone, the side of my index finger is still healing from shucking 18 oysters last week, but last week's shucking was not going to mean this week's shirking of fulfilling another personal challenge to make a food item of the team my Cleveland Brows are playing against... whew. How's that for a run-on sentence?
So up this week is... nobody. It's a bye week. For all I know my Browns are playing each other on Xbox.

So what do the people of Cleveland eat along with every other city, town, burg and lonely diner located along the shores of Lake Erie? Besides that? Fish Fry!
Any fish fry restaurant worth it's weight in fish scales along Lake Erie serves one of two fish, Lake Erie Perch or its bigger cousin the Yellow Pike. Also known as Walleye because the eyes turn white and glass over after being pulled from the water. And when a joint advertises a fish fry featuring Walleye, the fish come big, crowding the edge of the plate.
'nuff said. Fried Walleye, Muenster cheese macaroni and creamy cole slaw.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	19570   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	19571