"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Cooking Contests

Old 09-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #71
Chef Extraordinaire

Pork cheese steaks. I like that idea.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #72
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

They turned out surprisingly good....better than the performance of my team last night.

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:59 AM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire

You had to expect Griffin was going to be rusty.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #74
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Ain't no doubt....I admire his poise and grace during the post game press conference, but he obviously needed some time to find his rhythm. Ain't no shame in that. Philly came out with all barrels blazing. I 'spect they will be a force to reckoned with this season.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #75
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

We go to Green Bay next week.
Looking at a couple of recipes:
Green Bay Chili
And/Or
Butter Burgers

Any comments suggestions are appreciated as I am not familiar with these at all. Some say Cincinnati chili is comparable to Green Bay Chili, but looking at the recipe the similarities seem to be in the additions on the plate rather than the actual recipe.
What do y'all think?
Old 09-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #76
Executive Chef

I think Hoot, you provide a good challenge. Chiili John's is a hundred y/o Green Bay restaurant, which is pretty historic in itself. Their recipe looks good and would be a treat to make. I think if you make this, omit the spaghettie, which to me, says Cincinnati, and definitely include some cheese, preferrably Cheddar imported from Wisconsin. Wis. makes good cheese.

I have had steaks with maitre'd butter. I always wonder why they do this. I also wonder why we butter pancakes and french toast, since they are already fried in oil/ butter. BECAUSE BUTTER makes it BETTER. Almost as good as Bacon. If I were making these, I'd use some of that compound butter to butter the buns before toasting, instead of brushing w/ plain butter.

Well, I copied the butter burger recipe, so's I will remember it. It reminds of a Jucy Lucy, only with butter.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #77
Chef Extraordinaire

Suet? That's interesting, Hoot.
I made Cincinnati chili last year for one of the times we played the Bengals and it had a lot more ingredients than the one you listed for Green Bay. I don't recall any red pepper in it, but I'm pretty sure it had chocolate and cinnamon. At least the recipe I used. The GB chili looks different to me.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #78
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Whiskadoodle, Good idea on the compound butter on the rolls...I agree about the spaghetti as well.
Pacanis, Cincinnati chili certainly does have more ingredients.
The more I think on it, I might have to make a little of each. I 'spect I can come up with suet down at the local grocery. The meat cutter is a pretty good guy.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #79
Chef Extraordinaire

I know I'll be making Cincie chili in a couple weeks again. And Green Bay is on the Brown's list this year, too. Last year I made to Chilis, the Cincinnati and Texas redeye. I haven't looked into Green Bay this year yet. I may just pick up a 12 pack of Old Milwaukee
Old 09-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #80
Chef Extraordinaire

One can never have too much butter or garlic. But the garlic butter.......

You put a pat of the garlic butter in the middle of the patty. It seems to me that the garlic wouldn't have enough time to cook. The butter will melt and make for a juicy burger, but the garlic would be stuck there in the middle and not fully softened and cooked. Raw garlic is rather strong, wouldn't you agree?

I always put a pat of just butter in the middle of a burger. Highly recommended. Not so sure about the raw garlic though.