PPPC-II. It's baaaack...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let's see, apparently the Broncos are playing the Giants, sooo...two types of hot dogs to go with the brothers. New Yawk and Colorado. New Yawk is easy, trying to think of a hot dog specific to Colorado, maybe a hot dog swathed in Colorado Red Chili and cheese.

Last edited:
Colorado hot dog... boiled in a large amount of water? :angel:

You did not miss my menu today, Andy. I usually post it up as it's made, but since you asked...
Baltimore Coddies and Baltimore Pit Beef :yum:

Colorado hot dog... boiled in a large amount of water? :angel:

You did not miss my menu today, Andy. I usually post it up as it's made, but since you asked...
Baltimore Coddies and Baltimore Pit Beef :yum:

Not that water...I know where it's been:ermm::LOL:

:LOL: Good point, Fi!

Thanks Andy. It would have been nice to take that ball in for a TD on our first drive, but we're hanging so far.

Week 2 Baltimore, a team my Cleveland Browns will be playing twice. I found two items that I did not make last year and were unlike anything I have made/cooked before. First up: Baltimore Coddies.
The recipe I used and a brief history can be found here
And here they are. I think an herb cracker would be a nice touch, but they were pretty good as is.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 161
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 151
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 158
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 150
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 166
Interesting. I wonder if it would be the same if you used fresh cod.

I'll bet it would. I think the salted cod was more of a preservation factor, or they always had it on hand. It wasn't really salty. And when I tasted a piece as I was shredding it, it pretty much tasted like a firm fleshed fish. No flavor that jumped out at you from being salted.

Next up was the Baltimore Pit Beef Sandwich.
This was the first top round I've ever cooked period, let alone on a grill. I used this recipe, right down to the horseradish sauce, which is REALLY outside my box because I don't like horseradish :ermm: Expect a thread asking how ling prepared horseradish will last after its been opened :LOL:

Everything tasted wonderful though. Very flavorful beef and great sandwich. I saved a couple thicker slices and the au jus for a dinner in the future.
And I don't know what kind of grill they were using, but my SJ was pretty darn hot and the meat wasn't anywhere close to being done after 40 minutes. I wrapped it in foil, moved the coals to the outside and finished it off indirect. Pulled at 145, as I don't like a lot of pink in my roast beef sandwiches.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 138
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 136
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 150
When reading this thread the other day I remembered that Amer. Test Kitchen did a Baltimore pit beef segment. Looked around the internet and ran across the recipe you linked to on a different site. Have the beef and will rub tonight - Himself will cook it later this week. However, when I looked at some other recipes they had you cook over indirect heat the bulk of the time, moving over the coals/flame the last little bit to char. That called for about 3 hours or so of cooking time total, with flipping the meat around about every half hour. Unfortunately, that isn't the recipe I saved.....

All I know is I hope mine turns out as good as yours looks. However, we don't mind our cow mooing at us a bit. :LOL:

When reading this thread the other day I remembered that Amer. Test Kitchen did a Baltimore pit beef segment. Looked around the internet and ran across the recipe you linked to on a different site. Have the beef and will rub tonight - Himself will cook it later this week. However, when I looked at some other recipes they had you cook over indirect heat the bulk of the time, moving over the coals/flame the last little bit to char. That called for about 3 hours or so of cooking time total, with flipping the meat around about every half hour. Unfortunately, that isn't the recipe I saved.....

All I know is I hope mine turns out as good as yours looks. However, we don't mind our cow mooing at us a bit. :LOL:

Thanks. :)
And I probably should have searched around a bit for other recipes to see what cooking method they used. I was thinking the whole time that no way was a 3lb roast going to cook through in 30-40 minutes. Not unless it sat out for half a day warming up to 55F internal or so, or perhaps if I could have put a lid on it. Nothing a little tin foil didn't cure though.

I see Detroit is playing the Arizona Cardinals today. Cardinals in Arizona? I had to look that up. Cardinals are the state bird of Virginia, so I didn't think they were indigenous out there, but Wikipedia says they are.

I picked some jalapenos and Fresno chiles from the garden yesterday, and still have tomatillos I picked last week, as well as a couple chunks of pork shoulder in the freezer. I may very well make posole today, with cheese quesadillas on the side.

OT - We get a lot of Cardinals and Blue Jays in this area. (My apology for going off topic.)

Interesting. I wonder if it would be the same if you used fresh cod.

Yup! The Boston Fish Pier used to be located in East Boston when I was a kid. My parents had a friend who was a fisherman and had no family. So he would bring my mother every so often a very large Haddock or Cod. She would make Creamed Codfish with peas over boiled potatoes. When he didn't bring anything, she would buy the salted and it tasted the same. When you soak it in cold water (changing it often) it plumps up and tastes the same as if it was just caught. My second husband used to hang a cod up in the rigging and bring it home covered with sea water salt. Hard as a rock. Other times he would bring home ten pounds or more a fresh Haddock from the last catch all fileted. :angel:

Great pics, pacanis!
I wish my team would play as good as the Green Bay chili turned out.
Hmm...I think I am seeing a trend. Every time I have cook foods relating to the opposing team, we lose. I reckon I will give it another try next week.

Thanks Hoot. It was good stuff and I'm looking forward to eating that beef through the week.

I thought my Browns had that game the way they started, but I should have known better.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom