PPPC-II. It's baaaack...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've got mine picked out for the Vikings.
Now to find a wooden bowl and spoon :LOL:
We might actually have a Minnesota food this weekend. I saw that the Juicy Lucy is purported to have been created there. Then again, I was putting cheese in the middle of burger patties 30+ years ago. :rolleyes: Hmm, perhaps a trip to the local beer emporium might result in a made-in-MN beer...

When I first did a search for foods Cleveland is famous for, Pirogies is the first thing that came up. I have never made pirogies, and knowing how well my raviolis stick together, I am going for something in a little different direction and more do-able for me.

Have you not conquered that problem yet? Just lay them out on a cookie sheet and freeze them separately. Then pop them into boiling water individually. Same with the pirogies. I say go for the Pirogies! :angel:

When I first did a search for foods Cleveland is famous for, Pierogies is the first thing that came up. I have never made pierogies, and knowing how well my raviolis stick together, I am going for something in a little different direction and more do-able for me.

I never made them before either. And am "dough challenged" :ermm:, but they were really pretty easy. Half the trick of doing this is finding just the right recipe (read easy ;)). In my case I have to pretty much halve everything I find.

Hey, that could go all the way to Detroit! ;)

As many times as I've been to Detroit I never considered them a fish fry and pierogie community. I do believe they are on my team's schedule this year, so better see what looks good.

As many times as I've been to Detroit I never considered them a fish fry and pierogie community. I do believe they are on my team's schedule this year, so better see what looks good.

I grew up just south of Detroit and a spring smelt fry was a tradition, as well as perch during the summer. And as I mentioned before, DH is Polish-American and grew up with pierogies - Google "food in Hamtramck" ;) There are large communities of Poles and Germans in southeastern Michigan.

There's also a large Middle-Eastern community in Dearborn, a Detroit suburb, if you want to go in that direction.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/travel/destinations/detroit010900.htm

Last edited:
I grew up just south of Detroit and a spring smelt fry was a tradition, as well as perch during the summer. And as I mentioned before, DH is Polish-American and grew up with pierogies - Google "food in Hamtramck" ;) There are large communities of Poles and Germans in southeastern Michigan.

There's also a large Middle-Eastern community in Dearborn, a Detroit suburb, if you want to go in that direction.

Washingtonpost.com: Travel

I think I'm already leaning towards the Coney Island hot dog, square pizza, or maybe even sliders :chef:

Freezing pierogies before cooking, that might give them a fighting chance and properly seal. The first recipe I went and looked at as a preview just now said to do this.

It's funny, I can make sure Jucy Lucy's are well sealed. No cheese escaping into the fire. If they are pan fried, I don't mind a little fried cheese.

It’s Vikings vs Browns today.

I was looking at foods Cleveland is famous for. Lot of Polish heritage and foods. Then I discovered this— never heard of these before and they are a perfect tail gate munchables. Hanky Panky’s.

What is more fun than a little hanky panky on a Sunday afternoon.

Hanky panky’s remind me of mini Rueben sandwiches, mix some chopped corn beef, kraut and sauce. Top with cheese. . Party food. Hanky panky’s are a combo of sausage, burger, cheese, top with more cheese on little cocktail rye breads. Broil. I’m making a half recipe with Jimmy Dean’s hot sausage, burger,, onion, garlic powder, oregano, Worcester and 4 cheese Italian blend. Most recipes I looked at call for velveeta, but I decided to skip that part. Probably sprinkle with parmesan before baking.

And, just because, I’m grilling chix wings. Although , I might bake them til crispy and either way, paint with Famous Dave’s BBQ sauce that I kick up a notch.

I bought a basket cherry tomatoes, can either slice on the hanky panks or just eat. I made a pan of Brownies yesterday. Already test drived them last night and again for breakfast. DxW is bringing a jar of her beet pickles. ( Does that count as a Polish food?) and probably something else to munch. I guess that’s enough food for the whole day and then some.

I never heard of those Hanky Pankies. They sound really good. Nice little appy or munching food. I might just make those for Cleveland's by week.

And on the other end of that matchup is me making Viking food for week three of PPPC II.
I started off the day making Kornmjölsgröt, or barley porridge. I used the recipe from here and added some salt cod to it to make it more of a dinner. I'll be doing a round 2 later from the same site.

Attachments

• Barley Porridge with fish.jpg
    Barley Porridge with fish.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 208
I never made them before either. And am "dough challenged" :ermm:, but they were really pretty easy. Half the trick of doing this is finding just the right recipe (read easy ;)). In my case I have to pretty much halve everything I find.

You have to remember that Detroit is the football team representative for all of Michigan (which is why I watch hockey instead), not just Detroit. Although there are a fair number of yoopers (from the U.P. of MI) that decide to be Packers fans instead. Anyways, just because fish fries and pierogies don't seem like "Detroit" foods doesn't mean they aren't solid MI foods and pretty common just outside of Detroit. Fresh water fish is pretty common on the menu in pretty much every place in MI, especially whitefish, lake trout, and other Great Lakes fish (we are kind of surrounded by three of the five ya know). Venison is also pretty common in the more rural communities (and amongst hunters in the cities). Bear isn't unheard of either. And lots of people in the state make "northern" style chili of some sort or another. White chili is also pretty popular. And for some reason americanized chinese food seems really popular. Tiny little towns that you wouldn't even think would have a restraunt by some strange phenomenon will have a place that serves "Chinese" food. Or you could go really local and have frozen pizza. Even the villages that are too small for a grocer have a gas station that sells frozen pizzas and they're popular with college and university kids.

You have to remember that Detroit is the football team representative for all of Michigan (which is why I watch hockey instead), not just Detroit. Although there are a fair number of yoopers (from the U.P. of MI) that decide to be Packers fans instead. Anyways, just because fish fries and pierogies don't seem like "Detroit" foods doesn't mean they aren't solid MI foods and pretty common just outside of Detroit. Fresh water fish is pretty common on the menu in pretty much every place in MI, especially whitefish, lake trout, and other Great Lakes fish (we are kind of surrounded by three of the five ya know). Venison is also pretty common in the more rural communities (and amongst hunters in the cities). Bear isn't unheard of either. And lots of people in the state make "northern" style chili of some sort or another. White chili is also pretty popular. And for some reason americanized chinese food seems really popular. Tiny little towns that you wouldn't even think would have a restraunt by some strange phenomenon will have a place that serves "Chinese" food. Or you could go really local and have frozen pizza. Even the villages that are too small for a grocer have a gas station that sells frozen pizzas and they're popular with college and university kids.

I'm not sure I follow you, pag. I'm not out to make common foods, but rather foods a place is known for, or that has some association. Google Detroit foods or cuisine and square Sicilian pizza and Coney Island dogs come up more than the food items you mentioned. But yes, of course Michigan people eat other things :LOL:

Pac, my Man, whatever you did today, you MUST do every single Sunday for the rest of the season! I forgot all about the Browns since I'm fully immersed in the Indians' playoff run right now. Still in the Wild Card game! But I digress...I opened up my homepage, checked the score, and saw that there was only a minute left and Browns were down by < a TD. Flipped over to CBSsports to get the game tracker on just in time to see seconds left and the BROWNS WINNING? Yay, you did it! Must. Make. This. Food. For. Weeks. And. Weeks......

CG, even if it means eating porridge every Sunday? :LOL:
I hear ya though. Where did this team come from? We showed signs when we played the Ravens, but we actually looked like a team out there today for pretty much the whole game, especially because we picked ourselves up at the end.
The clash of the 0-3 teams ends in a Browns win!!!

I'm not sure I follow you, pag. I'm not out to make common foods, but rather foods a place is known for, or that has some association. Google Detroit foods or cuisine and square Sicilian pizza and Coney Island dogs come up more than the food items you mentioned. But yes, of course Michigan people eat other things :LOL:

What I meant is that Detroit (as a team) represents the entire state. So you could also look at foods that are distinctive to MI as a whole and not just what is distinctive to Detroit specifically.

What I meant is that Detroit (as a team) represents the entire state. So you could also look at foods that are distinctive to MI as a whole and not just what is distinctive to Detroit specifically.

If I can't find a food I like (or want to make) from the team's namesake, then I broaden it out to the state.

I never heard of those Hanky Pankies. They sound really good. Nice little appy or munching food. I might just make those for Cleveland's by week.

And on the other end of that matchup is me making Viking food for week three of PPPC II.
I started off the day making Kornmjölsgröt, or barley porridge. I used the recipe from here and added some salt cod to it to make it more of a dinner. I'll be doing a round 2 later from the same site.

Pac, I think you captured the fundamental meaning of Viking food. Pale, white food is a common denominator. And the added cod is true to Scand. cuisine. Good thing you have a colorful bowl. Now, how did it taste.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom