PPPC-II. It's baaaack...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
And I've given Pacanis' Personal Pigskin Challenge its own thread (so I can find some of the stuff I made easier :rolleyes:).

A couple of years ago some of you may remember me challenging myself every time my football team, the (ahem) Cleveland Browns, played it's opponent. On that day I would make something to eat that their opponent's city or area was known for. For instance, when Cleveland played San Francisco I made Cioppino; Tennessee, Memphis style BBQ. Well after a year off I have decided to do it again! :wacko:

Challenging myself this way every week introduced me to new foods and styles of cooking. And I feel the need to spice up my cooking once a week again, even though some will most likely be repeat performances. And I don't mean Cincinnati's goetta :ermm:

So if you want to join in, feel free. Make something from my team's opponent or your own football's team opponent, or just know that I'll be posting something here every Sunday and once on Thursday ;)

First up, the Miami Dolphins. Hmmm, pressed Cubans would be so easy...

we're thrilled to see you're bringing back pppc-II, pac! is it really football season already again so soon? your pppc is the closest i will ever get to tasting the flavors of football that turns many millions of fans into crazed mobs each sunday afternoon. i'm looking forward to an exciting football season of tailgating, pigskin style, with you.... :)

Thanks, Vit. I'm looking forward to the challenge. I already found some great recipes for a main and side dish. I just need to narrow it down by the weekend.

Bea, I was thinking about having stone crab claws as an appetizer when I saw them. I could order them at my online source, have them throw in some blue crabs and be all set for Baltimore, too. Of course, with the new sea food dept at Giant Eagle I may be able to find what I need locally now.

And I've given Pacanis' Personal Pigskin Challenge its own thread (so I can find some of the stuff I made easier :rolleyes:).

A couple of years ago some of you may remember me challenging myself every time my football team, the (ahem) Cleveland Browns, played it's opponent. On that day I would make something to eat that their opponent's city or area was known for. For instance, when Cleveland played San Francisco I made Cioppino; Tennessee, Memphis style BBQ. Well after a year off I have decided to do it again! :wacko:

Challenging myself this way every week introduced me to new foods and styles of cooking. And I feel the need to spice up my cooking once a week again, even though some will most likely be repeat performances. And I don't mean Cincinnati's goetta :ermm:

So if you want to join in, feel free. Make something from my team's opponent or your own football's team opponent, or just know that I'll be posting something here every Sunday and once on Thursday ;)

First up, the Miami Dolphins. Hmmm, pressed Cubans would be so easy...

I like that idea :) I don't really follow football, but DH does. We grew up in Michigan, so it's the Lions. I understand it's a tough team to support, since they lose a lot. But munching on their opponents' food might make that bearable. Maybe. I'll check with DH ;)

So, checking their schedule, first up is the Minnesota Vikings! I will not be looking for lutefisk, sorry. I think I'll check the Ethnic section for Scandinavian recipes from CWS and taxlady :)

It will be interesting to see what any of you come up with for when your team plays the Patriots. You will have a rather large selection to choose from. From beans to seafood. :angel:

I like that idea :) I don't really follow football, but DH does. We grew up in Michigan, so it's the Lions. I understand it's a tough team to support, since they lose a lot. But munching on their opponents' food might make that bearable. Maybe. I'll check with DH ;)

So, checking their schedule, first up is the Minnesota Vikings! I will not be looking for lutefisk, sorry. I think I'll check the Ethnic section for Scandinavian recipes from CWS and taxlady :)
Perfect time for Gravlaks | New Scandinavian Cooking. Or use Julia Child's recipe. I have never made it in that large a quantity. I just cut the recipe down proportionately.

Feel free when the time comes to give me any foods Detroit is known for because I saw them on Cleveland's schedule :ermm:
Maybe I won't make anything that week, in recognition of them declaring bankruptcy :LOL:
And I was thinking poutine for Minn. :yum:

I wish Philly was on my schedule, Hoot.

I just came back from a preliminary scan of the local Giant Eagle. I picked up some things and was happy to hear they would order something in for me :whistling

Perfect time for Smörgåsbord (Smörgåsbord - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Here are some links to some recipes:

A Summer Smorgasbord - A Selection of Recipes for Cold and Refreshing Scandinavian Smorgasbord Dishes

Smörgåsbord

Unless you plan on inviting everyone in town, you do not make all of those dishes. No matter how hard I try to limit the amount of food, I always regret not having invited the Swedish Army.

We always start with the cold table (the last link has the appropriate order in which to eat from the different tables). When that is done, we move on to the hot table, followed by the dessert table. We usually have at least 3 desserts, at Christmas 7 kinds of cookies plus 2-3 desserts.

Last edited:
Feel free when the time comes to give me any foods Detroit is known for because I saw them on Cleveland's schedule :ermm:
Maybe I won't make anything that week, in recognition of them declaring bankruptcy :LOL:
And I was thinking poutine for Minn. :yum:

I wish Philly was on my schedule, Hoot.

I just came back from a preliminary scan of the local Giant Eagle. I picked up some things and was happy to hear they would order something in for me :whistling

Oooh, poutine! What a great idea! That would go nicely with the salmon, don't you think? ;) I can make a fresh farmer's cheese to use with that.

Go ahead and enjoy Detroit's food! We were there in the beginning of August and had a wonderful dinner in downtown Detroit before going to a Tigers game. The park was sold out and the streets were full of people. It just needs to contract somewhat ;)

Since DH is of Polish descent, I'm going to suggest that route: grilled kielbasa, pierogies stuffed with mashed potatoes and topped with caramelized onions, and cucumber-sour cream-dill salad.

Perfect time for Smörgåsbord (Smörgåsbord - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Here are some links to some recipes:

A Summer Smorgasbord - A Selection of Recipes for Cold and Refreshing Scandinavian Smorgasbord Dishes

Smörgåsbord

Unless you plan on inviting everyone in town, you do not make all of those dishes. No matter how hard I try to limit the amount of food, I always regret not having invited the Swedish Army.

We always start with the cold table (the last link has the appropriate order in which to eat from the different tables). When that is done, we move on to the hot table, followed by the dessert table. We usually have at least 3 desserts, at Christmas 7 kinds of cookies plus 2-3 desserts.

Wow, that sounds wonderful! Maybe I'll do poutine for lunch and Smörgåsbord for dinner :) Gravlax, marinated cucumbers, Havarti cookies and maybe the sandwich cake. Yum :yum:

Last edited:
Wow, that sounds wonderful! Maybe I'll do poutine for lunch and Smörgåsbord for dinner :)
Smörgåsbord takes a lot of time to prepare. I usually do as much prep work a couple of days in advance and the "assembly" and cooking on the day I'm serving. If you go with a toned down version, you cannot omit the herring and beet salad or the herring at the beginning. I make my Jannsen's Temptation the day before because I always think it is better reheated.

Poutine isn't really MN, it is Quebec.

Ah, well, it's probably better to wait till it gets colder to make poutine. The Smörgåsbord idea sounds really good :) As soon as you said that, I remembered the 15-countries-in-30-days trip to Europe my mom gave me as a high-school graduation present. We spent a couple of days in Denmark and had a Smörgåsbord for dinner. It was delicious.

Ah, well, it's probably better to wait till it gets colder to make poutine. The Smörgåsbord idea sounds really good :) As soon as you said that, I remembered the 15-countries-in-30-days trip to Europe my mom gave me as a high-school graduation present. We spent a couple of days in Denmark and had a Smörgåsbord for dinner. It was delicious.
When we would do this at Christmas, we started eating around 3:00 p.m. and usually finished around 3:00 a.m. I don't recall needing lunch (or breakfast) on those days. And, there were still leftovers. Just be sure to cover the bread completely with butter (to the edges) so that the bread doesn't get soggy.

Oooh, poutine! What a great idea! That would go nicely with the salmon, don't you think? ;) I can make a fresh farmer's cheese to use with that.

Go ahead and enjoy Detroit's food! We were there in the beginning of August and had a wonderful dinner in downtown Detroit before going to a Tigers game. The park was sold out and the streets were full of people. It just needs to contract somewhat ;)

Since DH is of Polish descent, I'm going to suggest that route: grilled kielbasa, pierogies stuffed with mashed potatoes and topped with caramelized onions, and cucumber-sour cream-dill salad.

I'll have to think on that. Pierogies is also Cleveland and Pittsburgh. And I was saving the kielbasa for when we play Green Bay. But duly noted :)

Poutine isn't really MN, it is Quebec.

I thought Quebec was part of MN :rolleyes:
:LOL:

It originated in Canada, but it's pretty popular in northern states here, too. Good stuff. Squeak, squeak.

I'll have to think on that. Pierogies is also Cleveland and Pittsburgh. And I was saving the kielbasa for when we play Green Bay. But duly noted :)

At one time, Poland was the largest country in the western world ;) They just weren't very good at politics. Wiener schnitzel is also a Polish dish, predating the Austrian empire, and apparently dill pickle soup is another specialty.

You could have bratwurst for Green Bay :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom