"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Cooking Contests

Old 06-30-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
Master Chef

Sault Ste. Marie, United Way Chili Cookoff

Anybody in the U.P. Michigan area on August 10, I'll be competing this year in the hot category. I won the white chili category last year. It's gonna be a good time. It will be open between 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. If you are planning on being a tourist in the Eastern Upper Peninsula at that time, I'd sure enjoy rubbing elbows.

Oh, and I'm going to be making some authentic, Cowboy Texas Red. And don't think for a minute that a yooper doesn't know a thing or two about cowboy chili. I did live in the Southwest for ten years.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

i would be willing to bet that you will win. good luck

Old 06-30-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
Head Chef

Yum!

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:41 AM   #4
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Good luck and have fun with it.

And light em up with the chili.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:45 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Good luck, GW. I'm confident you'll do well. We expect to see a picture of you holding the trophy/blue ribbon posted here, along with the winning recipe.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:02 PM   #6
Master Chef

Michigan, or at least Sault Ste. Marie has regulations that state the chili must be cooked in a "Health Department Certified Kitchen" with three sinks for sanitizing and everything. Can't use anything made at home or out of my personal garden. Fortunately, I'm friends and a patron of many vendors from out local farmer's market. And I can use fresh ingredients from there. I expect that they'll sponsor me again this year (I still have to purchase most of the ingredients myself though). This gives me a bit of an edge. And the meat processor who will be supplying my beef told me to give her 9 days notice and she'll smoke some beef for me to use in my Texas Red, so long as I save her a bowl or two.

Two years back, one of the vendors, who had more tomatoes at season's end than they could sell, or knew what to do with asked me to create a cream of tomato soup recipe for her. She gave me a sack of ripe tomatoes to work with. I said OK. I made my first ever batch of - from scratch - cream of tomato soup, with fresh herbs, real cream, and fresh-picked ripe tomatoes. It came out pretty good. I made sure to document the recipe as I made the soup. I took a hardcopy of it to the vendor along with a thermos full of hot soup. She tried it, loved it, and insisted on giving me a bushel basket full of ripe tomatoes.

Sometimes it just pays to know how to cook. Two of the restaurants in the area have given me free food at different times. They wanted me to test new recipes that they were making. I was happy to oblige. All in all, knowing how to make good food has served me very well. The only issue I have with the skill is that some of my friends refuse to make some of the things I'm known for at out church pot lucks. They said they won't compete with me. But I'm not competing. I love trying other people's versions of dishes that I make. I always learn knew things from it. And really, no kidding aside, I'm really a pretty humble guy. I don't want to intimidate anyone. I like to work with people, not for them or compete with them. Well, I like to compete where competition is the name of the game, like in the chili cook-off, and in a few bread cook offs-that I've been in (local Church competitions and such).

Cooking should be something shared and enjoyed by friends and family. That's the way I look at it anyways.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and support.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 07-02-2010, 09:59 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

i wish i could be there, gw. good luck with your texas red.

here's a pic of my latest "white" chili (really diahrrea brown, lol) for inspriation.

and my boy says good luck as well

hey, anyone remember a thread a long time ago between audeo and lifter about texas chili? man, it seems like a lifetime ago.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Good Luck GW....Keep us posted........

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:30 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i wish i could be there, gw. good luck with your texas red.

here's a pic of my latest "white" chili (really diahrrea brown, lol) for inspriation.

and my boy says good luck as well

hey, anyone remember a thread a long time ago between audeo and lifter about texas chili? man, it seems like a lifetime ago.
BT; I have her recipe for Texas Red and the dialog of the post to go with it. It seems she received the recipe for the Governor of Texas, or so says the post. And I trust that Audio was the real deal. wish she was still around.

Gotta love the bread bowls. You're chili isn't as white as my prize winner was last year, but I bet it tastes amazing.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Old 07-06-2010, 05:57 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

oh, neat. do you think you could repost audeo's recipe, with any of your tweaks of course, to make it legitimate?

i'm quite sure you must have tweaked the recipe; i can't imagine you not trying out 17 things before you get it perfect.

btw, how do you get your white chili whiter? (please don't say ancient chinese secret, lol)

the chili powder i used is so red from paprika that it darkened the chili considerably.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote