"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Cooking Contests

Old 11-29-2014, 07:42 PM   #121
Assistant Cook

I used to make baked chicken wings for parties that were very popular. The sauce was just Open Pit original BBQ sauce (~ 2 parts) and 1 part each Yeo's Hot and Sweet (2 separate varieties) chili sauce. These days I would season them with salt, szechuan pepper and five-spice powder, and add some sesame oil to the sauce. The flats and drummettes were separated and tips discarded.

I haven't made them in a very long time, couldn't find the Yeo's, so I wouldn't waste what little I had on the rabble. But now I live within a reasonably short drive to 3 Chinese-Korean superstores all within a few-mile section of Rt 40 in Catonsville MD. Last April when I realized that Wei Chuan had discontinued their jarred sauces (Kung Pao [the best!], Hunan, Mongolian BBQ and one other I forget), I hit them all and bought up all I could find. I was able to get empty boxes with dividers from the stockboys as I was shopping, so I didn't get home with a bunch of jars with hairline cracks, a major peeve of mine.

I think that was when I found out the food.com forums had disappeared, I was going to post a headsup so people could get them while they could. I've never been one to make something from scratch if there was a perfectly good commercial version (for intermediate ingredients at least).

Old 11-30-2014, 12:19 AM   #122
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andypants View Post
I've never been one to make something from scratch if there was a perfectly good commercial version (for intermediate ingredients at least).
I'm just the opposite--I prefer to make things from scratch. Maybe it is because I live on a tight budget, but really it is because I have a lot of sensitivities to additives and chemicals.

I have learned that my "signature dish" is my homemade kimchi. Given that I'm of Scandinavian decent, that makes me laugh, but my friends keep asking me if I have a some kimchi to spare! Ha-ha. Blonde and blue-eyed girl makes great kimchi.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:59 AM   #123
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

It's the purple hair...
Old 11-30-2014, 07:48 AM   #124
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
It's the purple hair...
I think you're right
Old 11-30-2014, 08:19 AM   #125
Chef Extraordinaire

Although a Yankee Pot roast is my favorite main meal to make, I would have to say that Hershey's Chocolate Chocolaty Cake is the favorite of everyone who has had a taste. The recipe can be found on the back of their cocoa can. I prefer to bake over cooking.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:18 PM   #126
Executive Chef

I make a mean paella, Taught by an, ahem, Spanish boyfriend when I was young and foolish (Well, I actually was 29 so should have known better but not many women have such a useful outcome of a holiday romance!), For some reason, despite your average Spaniard's male chauvinism, paella is largely a male speciality made in the outdoors, often on the beach. A bit like barbeque-ing, I suppose.

Apart from that, my old-fashioned family trifle recipe has caused serious
rifts in marriages.

I don't have the looks or the figure but I do have the trifle recipe!
Old 02-20-2015, 07:12 PM   #127
Head Chef

I enjoy coming up with deluxe trifle variations and assembling them (always well received).

For example, I vary the base....could be staleish fruit cake slices, gingerbread, perhaps chocolate brownie slices (the conventional trifle sponge bases are too dull for me). Then I match it with complementary alcohol, e.g. for fruitcake it might be brandy/sherry, gingerbread with rum, chocolate with brandy or baileys.

I rarely do a jelly layer so the next layer would be a fresh fruit combination.

The custard may have advocaat in it or be chocolate custard.

The topping - fresh whipped cream or half cream and half creme fraiche, or syllabub.

Decorations: toasted flaked almonds and maraschino cherries or freshly grated coconut and crumbled flake chocolate/chocolate curls
Old 02-21-2015, 07:17 AM   #128
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
I enjoy coming up with deluxe trifle variations and assembling them (always well received).

For example, I vary the base....could be staleish fruit cake slices, gingerbread, perhaps chocolate brownie slices (the conventional trifle sponge bases are too dull for me). Then I match it with complementary alcohol, e.g. for fruitcake it might be brandy/sherry, gingerbread with rum, chocolate with brandy or baileys.

I rarely do a jelly layer so the next layer would be a fresh fruit combination.

The custard may have advocaat in it or be chocolate custard.

The topping - fresh whipped cream or half cream and half creme fraiche, or syllabub.

Decorations: toasted flaked almonds and maraschino cherries or freshly grated coconut and crumbled flake chocolate/chocolate curls
Copious amounts of sherry on the sponge makes it more exciting. (For some reason Emva Cream is our "sherry" of choice for trifle. I wouldn't drink it but it's great in trifle) I also put amaretti biscuits or macaroons in with the sponge cakes if I use the shop-bought ones. Then the fruit - usually peaches and raspberries. I do the jelly layer and if the fruit was tinned I use the juice in the jelly. I don't pour the jelly onto the base layers before it's set. I let it set firmly first then chop it up and layer it on top of the cake. Then cold custard, (we like ours set - dreadful confession - I use Bird's custard powder!) with lots of rum in it and whipped cream on top. Definitely almonds and cherries on top. Takes a couple of days from start to finish, with refrigeration of each layer but worth it!

I've also "invented" a "Caribbean" trifle - McVities Ginger cake soaked in rum, scattered with coconut and then mango and/or pineapple (tinned or fresh but if it's tinned the juice can go in the jelly and make it more exotic), then jelly. Rowntrees used to do a tropical fruit jelly but I haven't seen it for years so use what's available - Orange or pineapple tones nicely with the ginger cake. And, of course, more rum in the custard. Decorate the top with toasted coconut and glace pineapple. Not the trifle variety you'd want every day but I first made it when we were doing a Caribbean-themed meal. (NB hold the limbo dancing BEFORE the food!).

I once made a coffee and orange trifle but it wasn't a great success. Would probably be better as the sort of "tipsy cake"-style trifle you see on television with no jelly or fruit
Old 02-21-2015, 08:23 AM   #129
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Copious amounts of sherry on the sponge makes it more exciting. (For some reason Emva Cream is our "sherry" of choice for trifle. I wouldn't drink it but it's great in trifle) I also put amaretti biscuits or macaroons in with the sponge cakes if I use the shop-bought ones. Then the fruit - usually peaches and raspberries. I do the jelly layer and if the fruit was tinned I use the juice in the jelly. I don't pour the jelly onto the base layers before it's set. I let it set firmly first then chop it up and layer it on top of the cake. Then cold custard, (we like ours set - dreadful confession - I use Bird's custard powder!) with lots of rum in it and whipped cream on top. Definitely almonds and cherries on top. Takes a couple of days from start to finish, with refrigeration of each layer but worth it!

I've also "invented" a "Caribbean" trifle - McVities Ginger cake soaked in rum, scattered with coconut and then mango and/or pineapple (tinned or fresh but if it's tinned the juice can go in the jelly and make it more exotic), then jelly. Rowntrees used to do a tropical fruit jelly but I haven't seen it for years so use what's available - Orange or pineapple tones nicely with the ginger cake. And, of course, more rum in the custard. Decorate the top with toasted coconut and glace pineapple. Not the trifle variety you'd want every day but I first made it when we were doing a Caribbean-themed meal. (NB hold the limbo dancing BEFORE the food!).

I once made a coffee and orange trifle but it wasn't a great success. Would probably be better as the sort of "tipsy cake"-style trifle you see on television with no jelly or fruit
Interesting!

Oh yes, I have been known to decorate the cream topping with little ratafias (similar to amaretti biscuits).

Well, my confession is I don't even make the custard but by the chilled, good quality vanilla custard.

Perhaps I will try adding jelly....I dislike the tasteless cubes that are normally purchased for this. Am thinking of trying one made with red grape juice (and gelatine) or perhaps pineapple juice. Whilst I know that pineapples don't readily set, the pineapple juice in cartons has been treated so kills the enzyme that would interfere with the setting process.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:11 PM   #130
Master Chef

I have three go-to recipes, depending on the dinner.

1) Spaghetti sauce. It's the "Family recipe" with a few tweaks. I make a vat of it once or twice during winter, and have been know to take a couple quarts of it to OH when we visit the kids.

2) Scallops seared with bacon and Brussels sprouts. Always a winner if I'm trying to impress, even if it's for just the two of us.

3) Chicken Marsala. Quick, easy, and saved me once when Himself went to light the grill - and got only a *poof* before the propane was gone. Since we had company, I scrambled and pulled out the Marsala ingredients. They couldn't believe I came up with a "Plan B" so fast.

And a bonus 4). If we are asked to bring a side dish to a dinner, I almost always take a casserole dish filled with Brussels sprouts, bacon, mushrooms (plus rosemary and garlic powder). The mushrooms are sauteed in the bacon fat, and the lightly steamed sprouts are seared in it too, a bit at the end. The hostess is surprised that people who say they don't like Brussels sprouts always reach for more after trying just "one small bite". Then again, bacon makes everything better