What's Your Signature Dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
So, the GC Challenge - Signature Dish has taken the same format at the Hamburger thread.

A "signature dish" is just a fancy name for your favourite "go to" meal when you don't know what to cook. Or, the things that others constantly rave about and want more (i.e. fatties for Pacanis, pancakes for Goodweed, etc.). It does not have to be fancy at all. Then tell us a little bit about why this is so dear to you. Again, you don't have to write much and it can be funny, serious, but is just a little insight into your cooking and you. :)

You can start posting any time right here in this thread. Pictures are not necessary and recipes should be posted in their proper category and linked to the thread. Other than that, anything goes! :)

"Voting" will commence on August 31st so you have lots of time! I look forward to seeing what everyone submits!

My Chicken/Sausage/Shrimp Gumbo may be my top dish. I get more requests for that one than any other. I'm fortunate in that my mother (who is 100% Louisiana Cajun) taught me how to make it the same way her mother made it. Oh, she taught me other dishes as well, such as Jambalaya, Red Beans and Rice, Po' Boys of all kinds, Baked Duck, Venison Chili, Fried Chicken and Oyster Stew, but Gumbo is the one I like making the best! Much of the food I just listed came from uncles and cousins who were hunters and fishermen, and I have many fond memories of the their stories about how they shot or gathered it. But Gumbo is something that I can make most any day because I almost always keep those ingredients handy.

It wasn't easy to learn to make it good consistently. Making a roux takes practice, but once mastered, will serve many other dishes.

As I'm typing this very sentence, I have a pot of Gumbo simmering for my lunch. That with a side salad and some sourdough bread will be my big meal for the day.

I also make outstanding pizzas and artisan breads, but Gumbo has a special place in my heart.

When I was a young tyke, about from birth until present time, my favorite breakfast was that served to me at my Grandpa Flowers house. It usually went something like this:
A bowl of cereal or milk with bread and sugar, followed by two to three poached eggs (from an egg poaching pan), followed by pancakes and sausage. My Grandpa would make the same kind of pancakes my Dad made, Aunt Jemima pancakes using the recipe from the box. He would serve them up fresh while singing; "Pancakes are delicious, pancakes are so fine, I ought-ta know, 'cause I like 'em so, that I eat 'em all the time."

2nd favorite breakfast Pancakes at my Dad's house with sausage, and sausage grease spread over the fresh pancakes.

First thing I learned to cook - pancakes.

After becoming an adult, and when I started to take cooking seriously, and as an art form, I received a good from-scratch pancake recipe. Sometimes it came out good when I used it, and sometimes the pancakes came out amazing. Due to PAG's observations, I eventually perfected the recipe so that the pancakes always come out amazing. I posted the recipe under quickbreads, cakes, and muffins for all to enjoy, plus a few variations.

Though I can present far more complex, fancy, and exhalted recipes, none say Bob Flowers like my pancakes do. Just ask anyone in my family, or in my church, or on D.C.:LOL:

My signature dish is pancakes. But oh what I can do with waffles.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thanks, Selkie and GW. Those are both wonderful stories and food. Selkie, are you willing to give us the recipe or a picture? GW, any pancake pics you want to show? These aren't necessary, just if you feel comfortable!

Niquejim, we would love to have you share!

People rave about several dishes I make. Here are a few. I could never choose one.

Macaroni Salad with tomato rose garnish

img_1037937_0_c8cd537dae1100f302e466839ddc17d5.jpg

img_1037937_1_6f89893efa3ef18d299e828efe790326.jpg

Mini Spinach Pies

img_1037937_2_b811796ec99d4a0bdb2957e2c6f964b7.jpg

Cheese and Potato Blintz

img_1037937_3_535baf17f22ec1c701502200380143a7.jpg

Sausage Bread

img_1037937_4_32907d726a2781e6089b52068cdebc17.jpg

I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in the recipe I have for Ravioli and or pasta sauce It's a long cooking sauce but it is so tasty and smells so great. Mom and M-I-L both made this and I learned by asking both of them how to. I also learned how to make home made raviloli by sneaking aroun and watching when they thought I was outside or asleep. Then I just said let's shop and when someone gave me that old pinch of this or a handful of that I'd whip out a measuring cup and say put it in here:LOL: Let's say there were times my M-I-L's eyebrows hit her hair line but Now I can make all her goodies and that keeps people asking when ya gonna?
kades

I'm going to go with one that I love and several people love. I got the idea from a book about beer and took the idea and made it mine. I'll post the recipe after the drunken stupor that is my birthday.
Chocolate ravioli stuffed with bacon and roasted butternut squash sauteed in bacon fat with garlic, onion and pumpkin seed, with a heavy cream sauce

My signature dish is a very slowly cooked pasta sauce. It takes 24 hours or so. I have not made it in a few years since I have been so busy but I need to. It starts with browning pork ribs.....

I have a homemade spice I use to make fajitas. I'll probably post it up on my blog eventually.

It results in me making fajitas something like 50 times a year because I make such huge amounts of the spice and love fajitas so much. When my wife gets annoyed I just use a different meat.

I prefer just using chicken, because, hey, I'm boring. But it's hard to get upset at shrimp fajitas, extra spicy.

Thanks, Selkie and GW. Those are both wonderful stories and food. Selkie, are you willing to give us the recipe or a picture?...

For what it's worth...

Seafood Gumbo

Ingredients:

Part-A, (common to all gumbo):

4 Tbl. Oil
4 Tbl. Flour
1 Large Onion, Diced
1 Can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes (Rotel (Mild) also works well.)
1 Bell Pepper, Diced (I prefer the red or yellow, but green is traditional.)
1 Stalks Celery, Diced
1/4 Cup Chopped Parsley
1/4 tsp. Thyme
1 Tbl. Basil
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp. Louisiana Hot Sauce
2 Quarts Water (or as an option, 1 qt. Chicken Stock + 1 qt. Water)
2 Tbl. Gumbo Filè (pronounced fee-lay)
Salt & Pepper to taste

Part-B, Add your previously diced and cooked protein(s) and a simmer for at least an hour. Again, the longer the better, (except in the case of Seafood Gumbo. Only add the shrimp two minutes before serving.).

Seafood option: Shrimp, oysters, crab, lobster.

Directions:

Make a dark roux by browning the flour in the oil, constantly stirring over medium-low heat (15-30 minutes - the slower the better).
Add the finished roux to a stock or crock pot.

Add everything else in Part-A to the pot and stir to combine with the roux.

Bring to a low simmer.

Add your previously cooked and diced protein(s) and simmer for at least an hour. (except in the case of Seafood Gumbo. Only add the shrimp two minutes before serving.)

Serve in a bowl on a bed of rice and make additional Gumbo Filè available for seasoning.

Last edited:
Mine is a signature meal - nothing special. Baked ham, potato salad, green beans or asparagus. I can pull this together in a short time. Flan for dessert.

Back
Top Bottom