What's Your Signature Dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depending on the season and the gathering I have 3 most requested recipes.

1. Potato salad - summer get-togethers with my family. It's Mom's recipe and no one else in the family even tries it!

2. Stuffing - Again Mom's recipe for Thanksgiving dinner. My sisters have tried but haven't gotten the recipe down like I have so I usually am asked to bring the stuffing.

3. Almond Bars - these are sinful but oh so yummy and are frequent dessert request at church functions.

I'll dig out the recipes and post them when I get the chance.

I have a few signature dishes. One of my favorites can be served for any meal, but I usually save it for Sunday Brunch and embellish it with sides and mimosas or bellinis.

HUEVOS RANCHEROS SUPREMA
Ingredients (for 2):
  • 4 small or two large corn or flour tortillas
  • 2 Tbs butter
  • 1 can of your favorite WHOLE beans. I usually use Texas Ranch beans (No refried beans please. That's gross!)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 pound Mexican chorizo (recipe follows)
  • 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, Monterey jack cheese, or a blend
  • 1 cup of your favorite salsa
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup guacamole
Instructions:

Place beans in a saucepan on medium heat. Thoroughly cook chorizo in frying pan, then add to the beans, mix well, and keep warm on low heat. Melt butter in cast iron skillet or frying pan. Heat each tortilla in skillet until lightly brown on both sides, adding butter for each tortilla. Place one large tortilla or two small tortillas side by side, on each plate. Spoon half of bean/chorizo mix over the tortillas. At the same time, place two eggs in a second frying pan with lid and keep lid on until eggs have a light white coating on yolks. Gently place eggs on top of beans, sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese on eggs, add 1/2 cup salsa on top of cheese, and garnish with sour cream and guacamole. Serve with Mexican style rice (recipe below) and small salad with Southwest Caesar dressing, or a tropical fruit salad.

CHORIZO
Ingredients:
  • 2 pounds ground goat (traditional), pork, beef, or turkey
  • 4 cloves mashed garlic
  • 6 Tbs chili powder (If you like it mild, use Ancho chili powder, if you like it spicy, use New Mexico chili powder)
  • 2 Tbs oregano
  • 2 Tbs olive oil
  • 2 Tbs water
  • 2 Tbs vinegar
  • 1½ tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
Instructions:

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, divide into quarters, roll each quarter into a log, and wrap each log with plastic wrap, twisting the ends to secure. Can be refrigerated for 3 to 5 days or frozen for up to three months.

MEXICAN RICE

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup long grain white rice
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • ½ cup beef broth
  • 1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes and zesty jalapeños, with juice
  • ½ red bell pepper, diced
  • ½ green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 jalapeño, ribs and seeds removed, diced
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp Mexican oregano
  • 1/2 tsp ground corriander
  • fresh cilantro for garnish

Instructions:

Pour vegetable broth, beef broth, and juice from petite diced tomatoes into measuring cup. Add water to make 2 cups, if required. Put all ingredients into rice cooker or medium sized pot, and cook as you would everyday rice. Place finished rice in serving bowl and garnish with fresh cilantro. If you're one of those people who think cilantro tastes like soap, use parsley.

Last edited:
You can start posting any time right here in this thread. Pictures are not necessary and recipes should be posted in their proper category and linked to the thread. Other than that, anything goes

I don't have a clue how to link my recipe to this thread. HELP! :ohmy:

I don't have a clue how to link my recipe to this thread. HELP! :ohmy:

Go to your thread and you will see right at the top your thread URL is displayed.
It starts with www.discusscooking etc.
Highlight the URL then right click on it, then select copy. Then come back to this thread and add a new post. Right click on your post and then select paste.

Chef June's signature dish

I've done it for you in case you don't get it right. I'm not that good at explaining.

Last edited:
Thanks, Snip! I went there and couldn't see my thread url. :(

My pleasure CJ. Sorry if I'm not that good at explaining. I know how to do stuff but don't always know what everything is called :LOL:
Like my internet router, I use to call it the little flashing light thingy :LOL:

The URL that you must highlight and copy is in the search window at the top of the page.

One of my favorite go to dishes would have to be a beef Wellington with a tart cherry jus and onion white bean purée. I love the way the sweetness of the tart cherries mesh with the white beans and the pastry soaking up a multitude of flavors creating a perfect blend of flavors.

that sounds really good, bmh. do you have a tnt recipe to post? i'm intimidated by making beef wellington, nevermind the extras.

for my signature dish, i'll have to go with the ones most requested by my family and friends/coworkers: sunday gravy, manhattan clam chowder, seafood fra diavolo, london broil with shanghai bok choy sauce, dirty pork chops and vinegar peppers, split pea soup with ham, and a pepperoni and egg sandwich.

Chickens always been my go to dish, I love chicken best, except for a good lamb roast lol. I started roasting chicken for our family Sunday dinners (upward of 15 people) when I was 10. I am a control freak in the kitchen so I would spend all day preparing all the food for a full roast chicken dinner, mum had a huge oven so there would be three or four birds roasting with all the roast veg and mashed potato and steam veg to go and usually the good ol Edmonds recipe book ' one egg chocolate sponge, but it would be four egg cause I would quadruple it and make it in a roasting pan. Now days I lean more to asian influence so my go to recipe is a master stock chicken with chicken rice and a salad. It is easy and quick and lived by all except my mum the diabetic who misses her crunchy fatty chicken skin.

The stock is easy - I don't measure much but here goes,
1c Chinese rice wine
1/3 cup light soy
Tbls fish sauce or shrimp paste
Heaps of garlic
Heaps of ginger
Onions
Tsp coriander seed
Tsp cumin
Small piece cinnamon
4-6 star anise
Enough water to cover the chicken
Bring to the boil and steep for half hour or so
Add chicken to boiling water, turn off heat
Half an hour turn heat on and bring stock back to the boil then turn off again.
At the end of one full hour your chicken, unless it's an Emu, will be cooked, I know I didn't believe it either but it works I even used a large duck and it was still one hour
Take chicken out rub a mix of soy and sesame oil over the whole chicken and cover with foil to rest
Put quantity of rice in rice cooker and use enough of the stock as per rice cooker directions or like my mum showed me, till it reaches the first joint of your thumb and cook the rice. Make a salad and serve up. Mmmm want some now.

Sorry I couldn't figure out how to link this.

that sounds really good, bmh. do you have a tnt recipe to post? i'm intimidated by making beef wellington, nevermind the extras.

for my signature dish, i'll have to go with the ones most requested by my family and friends/coworkers: sunday gravy, manhattan clam chowder, seafood fra diavolo, london broil with shanghai bok choy sauce, dirty pork chops and vinegar peppers, split pea soup with ham, and a pepperoni and egg sandwich.
how many signatures you got bucky?hmmmm,could be useful tho'.......;)!
i guess mine is scallop,prawn & mussel fettuccine with saffron,garlic & chilli.cooked it last night & posted it on yesterday's dinner thread.managed to get a nice char on the scallops this time.love that smell when they are in the pan!:

Attachments

• SEAFOOD FETTUCINE FINALE 001.jpg
    SEAFOOD FETTUCINE FINALE 001.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
I can't think of a signature dish--I don't cook everyday, don't have a family, so cooking for one, well, one does odd things sometimes. I don't usually make the same thing again for a long time...and, I'm an "opportunity" type of cook and one who doesn't measure except when baking or making ice cream...otherwise, I go by taste and I take what I have on hand/is in the garden/on special and run with it. However, my breakfasts might just be my "signature" dish since that's what I seem to be cooking most often lately.

Laurie: Thanks for the Fabulous Post

:chef: Buon Giorno Laurie,

If I had to choose only 1 dish, it would have to be my all time favorite Lasagne, which I prepare in several ways.

Lasagne alla Melanzane ... ( Filled with eggplant, ground veal, ground pork and is made with both home made white lasagne sheets and spinach green lasgane sheets ...

Photo being attached.

Kind regards and Hope you had a lovely Canada Day.
Margaux Cintrano.

Attachments

• lasagna.jpeg
    lasagna.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 276
Baby Mediterranean Octopus

Laurie,

Attached is a photo of a Greek Octopus dish, with a modern slant ... The ingredients are:

Fresh baby octopus
cardamon pods - green
juniper berries
coriander seed
star anise
allspice berries
fresh thyme herb
Red wine
bay leaf
black pepper

This dish is called: Octopus in Wine, Sous Vide

SOUS VIDE: to seal a portion of seasoned food in a vaccum bag and bake for 2 hours in a steam overn at 65 degrees centigrade or 149 farenheit. Then the food item is removed and put into shock in an ice bath to cool down ... This process works as a tenderizer.

I had been truly pleased to have had the opportunity to learn how to prepare this dish several years ago ... The dipping sauce is made with the ingredients listed above. The octopus flesh is a bit thicker than a carpacchio however, extremely tender ...

Have a lovely 4th,
Margi :yum:

Attachments

• PULPO.jpg
    PULPO.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 224
how many signatures you got bucky?hmmmm,could be useful tho'.......;)!
i guess mine is scallop,prawn & mussel fettuccine with saffron,garlic & chilli.cooked it last night & posted it on yesterday's dinner thread.managed to get a nice char on the scallops this time.love that smell when they are in the pan!:

This sounds and looks amazing Harry :chef:

:chef: Buon Giorno Laurie,

If I had to choose only 1 dish, it would have to be my all time favorite Lasagne, which I prepare in several ways.

Lasagne alla Melanzane ... ( Filled with eggplant, ground veal, ground pork and is made with both home made white lasagne sheets and spinach green lasgane sheets ...

Photo being attached.

Kind regards and Hope you had a lovely Canada Day.
Margaux Cintrano.

Just lovely Margi, great photo too :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom