What's Your Signature Dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now I'm even more confused.

To me it looks like slices of meatloaf.

I was thinking of sliced foie gras in a tortilla. What are those pies in the background?

Now I'm even more confused.

To me it looks like slices of meatloaf.

I was thinking of sliced foie gras in a tortilla. What are those pies in the background?

Meatloaf? You dont eat alot of foie do you. In the background are the homemade wraps and they are not tortillas.

Meatloaf? You dont eat alot of foie do you. In the background are the homemade wraps and they are not tortillas.

If you mean foie gras, no, I've never even had a chance to taste it. I'd love to, but it isn't at my local grocery store.

I like the look of those pies however.

they're not ies, zhi. they're non-tortilla wraps.

i guess that means they're not made from corn.

can we still assume they're made from a flour, foiejita? rice, wheat, barley, or what have you?

the red things knda look like red peppers, or they could be like those marinated spiced onions that you get with indian dishes such as tandoori.

the brownish stuff almost looks like apple pie filling.

it's hard to tell from the pic's resolution.

What are non-tortilla wraps, BT?

I have another great dish that I will share all the details about. Its a duck breast rubbed with ground fresh fennel seed served with sweet potato puree, fennelkraut, blackberry duck reduction and blackberries.

Did your wife tell you that you can't copyright an ingredient list only the method can be yours?

I have to say, although I'm sure it is a taste sensation, its far too high in fat to be a trend these days. Isn't there some outcry about force feeding the geese to fatten up their livers too?

BT, have you been poking food at "our" geese again???? ;)

Did your wife tell you that you can't copyright an ingredient list only the method can be yours?

I have to say, although I'm sure it is a taste sensation, its far too high in fat to be a trend these days. Isn't there some outcry about force feeding the geese to fatten up their livers too?

BT, have you been poking food at "our" geese again???? ;)

The only thing that has a trademark on it is the name. The ingredient list is not copywritten. As far as the trend, I'm not expecting it to become a trend just a great dish made from foie gras. yes, there is an outcry on how foie is produced but until there is a national ban on foie I will be using it.

My Favorite dinner to cook would be Lamb Wellington, made with duxelle filling and a red zinfandel reduction au jus, Next would be potatoes [Yukon gold] Au Gratin made with Gruyere cheese. For vegetables fresh baby snow peas and pearl onions in a light cream sauce. And for desert ricotta cheesecake topped with a slice of spumoni and fresh strawberries. Since I just stopped dreaming make that meatloaf , mashed potatoes, peas and a slice of apple pie. mysterychef

My Favorite dinner to cook would be Lamb Wellington, made with duxelle filling and a red zinfandel reduction au jus, Next would be potatoes [Yukon gold] Au Gratin made with Gruyere cheese. For vegetables fresh baby snow peas and pearl onions in a light cream sauce. And for desert ricotta cheesecake topped with a slice of spumoni and fresh strawberries. Since I just stopped dreaming make that meatloaf , mashed potatoes, peas and a slice of apple pie. mysterychef

That sounds good. The ultimate comfort food! I'll take it. :yum:

That does sound wonderful :)

My signature dish is my Chicken and sausage gumbo it is literally the best in the world i have been to all the restaurants gumbo cook offs and no one can even come close it is a delicacy with my friends and family they beg me to make it. it is very unique recipe as i invented it start to finish.

but don't take my word for it try it for yourself anyone interested in in acquiring this recipe just pm me and its yours only condition i ask is after you have tried it would appreciate honest feedback on it

Attachments

• 20131126_194554.jpg
    20131126_194554.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 254
  • 20131126_191052.jpg
    20131126_191052.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 231
  • 20131126_194951.jpg
    20131126_194951.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
My signature dish would be a Yankee Pot Roast or a New England Boiled Dinner with a smoked shoulder. Always a favorite. Even the kids always ate all the veggies in both dishes. :angel:

I think my signature dish would be spaghetti. I know it seems simple, but I have so many recipes with a lot of personal flair!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I think mine has to be paella. It's what my friends ask for when invited to dinner (they don't often get it - it doesn't do to spoil them:LOL:). I was taught to make it by a Spanish indiscretion of my youth and I have to admit it's good. I nearly married him on the basis of his paella but that's another story.

Paella, back then was (and probably still is) the macho cook-out-at-the-beach thing. Married men think they are giving their wives and daughters a rest (despite the fact that the shopping, prep and cleaning up had to be done by said ladies) and I did hear that some young men considered it the ultimate seduction technique. The only time this was tried on me it failed somewhat acrimoniously when I "accidentally" allowed the wild duck which arrived in a carrier bag to escape. I felt it was rude to eat someone you'd been introduced to.

However, I digress. My recipe includes both meat, (chorizo, chicken, rabbit and/or sometimes pork) and fish and shellfish (monkfish, in the days when it was cheap, or other firm white fish, tiger prawns (large shrimp) some stripped naked and some with their shells still on for effect, squid, mussels, little clams and, when I'm in funds, langoustines), veg including peas, de-seeded tomatoes, onions and bell peppers, garlic, and saffron (despite all the British travesties that say turmeric is a good substitute - ARRGGGHHHH!). I make stock from the shells of some of the prawns and the chicken bones. I use Valencia rice if I can get it or Arborio if I can't. The secret to avoiding a soggy paella is not to stir it. A lot of the time people think it should be treated like risotto and it shouldn't. Leave well alone. Some recipes in English books and magazines use chilli flakes but my "teacher" didn't and I've experimented and prefer it without. I was taught to use ordinary Spanish paprika (which is rather sweet and not hot like the Hungarian stuff) but now find I like the Spanish smoked sweet paprika.

I used to use the special paellera that I acquired in Spain but now I use an electric one.

maddie, i've found paella a difficult dish to pull off just right. you have to get all of the meats and seafoods to be done at the same time without being overcooked and rubbery or dry. and while you're dealing with the proteins you have to get the rice correct. it's easy to make it too wet or too dry.

have you posted your recipe here? if not, it would be greatly appreciated.
i love a good paella.

also, my son's 3rd grade teacher was known as mrs. paella.

her real name is piela, but it was more fun to call her paella.
her assistant's name was ronacova, aka mrs. roll-o'-quarters... :mrgreen:

maddie, i've found paella a difficult dish to pull off just right. you have to get all of the meats and seafoods to be done at the same time without being overcooked and rubbery or dry. and while you're dealing with the proteins you have to get the rice correct. it's easy to make it too wet or too dry.

have you posted your recipe here? if not, it would be greatly appreciated.
i love a good paella.

also, my son's 3rd grade teacher was known as mrs. paella.

her real name is piela, but it was more fun to call her paella.
her assistant's name was ronacova, aka mrs. roll-o'-quarters... :mrgreen:
I think it's in one of the boxes I haven't unearthed yet so I'll have to go and root it out ASAP. I'm off to bed now as I need an early night. Toodle pip, DC-ers.

My signature dish is my Chicken and sausage gumbo it is literally the best in the world i have been to all the restaurants gumbo cook offs and no one can even come close it is a delicacy with my friends and family they beg me to make it. it is very unique recipe as i invented it start to finish.

but don't take my word for it try it for yourself anyone interested in in acquiring this recipe just pm me and its yours only condition i ask is after you have tried it would appreciate honest feedback on it

I watched your video. Everyone has a recipe that they like for different gumbos. I thought that your roux was a little on the blonde side of chocolate. I have been told by relatives of my coonass SIL, that the roux for gumbo should be on the dark side of red-brown, if not black. This holds with the info in Prudhomme's "Louisana Kitchen" cookbook.The reason, they tell me is to develop that rich, deep flavor. Any thoughts?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom