20 Pounds of Potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
Okay, so while I was at the mission store, they were giving away potatoes, 10 pound bags at a time. I took two. They are "white" potatoes, verses being russet or red.

Any suggestions?? Can I freeze any of it? Resources are limited, so think cheap. :chef:

Sometimes I have a hard time getting through 10 lbs without a few turning soft, growing roots or getting eaten my a mouse :rolleyes: And I love potatoes.
I can't wait to see the suggestions. I could easily by them on sale here if I knew I could use them all up.

Store them someplace cool and dark. Potato soup is the first thing that comes to my mind. Because it has a creamy base, it doesn't freeze well, but you can freeze any kind of cooked potatoes, such as mashed potatoes, twice baked potatoes, etc.

Here's a helpful link:

Freezing Potatoes

There is a seasoning blend called Nature's Seasoning...

I like to cut up potatoes in 1/2" cubes or a tad smaller. Cut up onion even smaller, toss with Nature's Seasoning (more than you think), place in microwave safe bowl, cover with wrap, and cook until done. Place in bowl and top with a poached egg.

Or do the same thing in a skillet and get them nice and crusty.

Dauphinois comes to mind...add a layer of ham or kielbasa in the center with or without sliced tomatoes and some good ol' cheddar cheese (keeping it cost effective here as there are other cheeses that are good but do cost an arm and a leg!).

Since it's getting warmer Vichyssoise comes to mind.

We also like to bake a potato your favorite way, scoop out and mix with some already sauteed kielbasa and cheese and re-stuff the potato and bake until heated.

OR...scoop out cooked potato (keeping intact as much as possible) and place a layer of ham or turkey on the skin, sauteed onions and peppers, layer of cheese, place potato back on, top with a bit more onions, peppers, and cheese, and re-heat in oven to melt.

........or, hold a bikini mashed potato wrestling contest and charge admission. For $50 you can buy a super soaker squirt gun loaded with brown gravy.

That would be awesome.

You should be able to dice them, half cook them. Vacuum pack and freeze. You can then have all the hash browns you want for a long time....

........or, hold a bikini mashed potato wrestling contest and charge admission. For $50 you can buy a super soaker squirt gun loaded with brown gravy.

That would be awesome.

You're killing me! :ROFLMAO::LOL:

Let's see, what would I do with 20 lbs of potatos (among some of the suggestions posted)...

Potatos and onions side dish
Chinese stir fried potato sticks (Kaixin has a post on that)
Lots of garlic parmesan mash potatoes (and then freeze the bulk of it)
Try my hand at gnocchis again
Rosti for breakfast

That would be awesome.

You forgot "a spoon". :ohmy:
:LOL:

They could be "canned".
They could be shredded and dehydrated
Freezing, as previously mentioned, might be the quickest remedy if you have the freezer space.
Bury in sand in a cool dark place will preserve them for a long time, so they say.

When all the kids (and their SOs) are here for dinner, I make 15lbs. of mashed potatoes and they are gone before bedtime. (My family loves mashed potatoes!)

Mashed potatoes .... MMMmmmm.

The next morning they can be mixed with a bit of egg or flour, or both, be seasoned, have chives mixed in, whatever you like to do with mashed potatoes. Make them into patties and fry.

Ma, its too bad your not able to try this (unless you make a stash ;) )

...... you can freeze any kind of cooked potatoes, such as mashed potatoes, twice baked potatoes, etc.

Here's a helpful link:

Freezing Potatoes

Great link.

Secret to freezing (other than mashed) potatoes is par cooking. Potatoes which are fully cooked prior to freezing don't seem to retain their texture.

Mashed potatoes .... MMMmmmm.

The next morning they can be mixed with a bit of egg or flour, or both, be seasoned, have chives mixed in, whatever you like to do with mashed potatoes. Make them into patties and fry.

Ma, its too bad your not able to try this (unless you make a stash ;) )
I know! I've read here a couple of times about these potato pancakes and I've yet to have any left over to try it! I thought about just making 20lbs. of potatoes but I'm afraid they'd just eat more!!! Maybe I'll just save my portion next time so I can try these at least once in my life.:)

You can make french fries out of them, par-cook, and then freeze them
Scalloped potatoes
stew (which can be frozen)
pot pies
Riced potatoes with Olive oil, lime juice, basil, cumin, and pepper (whisked) then poured on top.
Sheppard's pie

Also, if you put an apple in the bag of potatoes they will not sprout as quickly. So, I've heard.

I had a whole bunch of potatoes sprouting, and made this last night....it's fattening, I'm sure. You could probably use yoghurt in place of the milk, turkey bacon in place of the regular bacon, and saute your onions in a bit of evoo
I think this might be a little like Colcannen and a little like Monk's Pie - I was trying to use up leftover ingredients - it came out tasting really nice:
10 potatoes - cook and mash with butter, salt/pepper & I used up some leftover sour cream
6 or 7 strips of bacon, fried, then crumbled or cut into smaller pieces
3 small onions cut into wedges and sauted with the bacon (once bacon almost done)
6 eggs
cheese
1 large fresh tomato

spoon 1/2 the mashed potato into an oven proof dish (about 2.5 or 3 qt dish)
top with 1/2 of the bacon, 1/2 of the onion
spoon the rest of the mashed potato on top
make 6 "wells" in the potatoes, and break an egg into each well
top with the remainder of the bacon and onion
top that with the cut up tomato
top that with grated cheddar
bake for about 45 minutes to an hour on 350 - or until the eggs are set the way you like them.
serve with a huge salad

Back
Top Bottom