About 24oz of Prime Rib

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DOpig

Assistant Cook
Help! I need to feed 5 adults and all I have is about 24oz of Prim Rib left over from Christmas Eve dinner. My pantry is not the greatest, but the grocery store is just down the street.

Grab some potatoes to bake and top them with bacon bits ( real ones!!) and cheese
French bread and a salad if you want you can add a fresh steamed veggie.

Dessert can be something easy like a dump cake or brownies with vanilla ice cream.

Have fun!!

24 oz of meat for 5 people = 4.8 per serving...Hmmm kinda small. Maybe go to the store and buy 5 thick center cut pork chops, and grill them.....

Have Fun!

Make shepherd's pie. In addition to the meat, you could use leftover gravy and veggies. You'll need mashed potato for the top crust.

Make shepherd's pie. In addition to the meat, you could use leftover gravy and veggies. You'll need mashed potato for the top crust.

That sounds like a good choice. I have some leftover mashed potatoes and a little of the juices from the roasting pan and frozen peas in the freezer. This might be something I can do. Thanks Andy M. :)

if you need to stretch the meat, add veggies in a one pot dealio. how about wokkin' it (or using your d.o. like a wok), and make a version of steak kew.

in a wok/d.o. with super hot peanut oil, stir fry the cubed chunks of meat for just a minute to brown, then set aside. next, stirfry some cubed sweet onions, halved mushrooms, halved baby bok choy, minced garlic and ginger. add a little beef stock, butter, and red wine. reduce for a minute or two while the veggies sweat, add the meat back in.
simmer for just a minute more, then add a cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce.

serve with white rice.

I made shepherd's pie with my leftover prime rib from Christmas day. I further roasted the meat, they gave out quite a bit of fat, kind of a confit in the pan, as well as giving a nice base for the sauce. I trimmed the meat into bite-size pieces. Drained the fat, used leftover au jus, thickened with cornstarch in the pan, added the meat back into it. Then I put a ring of leftover vegetables, peas on one side, leftover green beans on the other (I like the beans, my husband likes peas), leftover smashed potatoes in the center.

if you need to stretch the meat, add veggies in a one pot dealio. how about wokkin' it (or using your d.o. like a wok), and make a version of steak kew.

in a wok/d.o. with super hot peanut oil, stir fry the cubed chunks of meat for just a minute to brown, then set aside. next, stirfry some cubed sweet onions, halved mushrooms, halved baby bok choy, minced garlic and ginger. add a little beef stock, butter, and red wine. reduce for a minute or two while the veggies sweat, add the meat back in.
simmer for just a minute more, then add a cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce.

serve with white rice.

Thanks Buckytom, but I'll have to save this one for another day. I will give this one a try!:)

I made shepherd's pie with my leftover prime rib from Christmas day. I further roasted the meat, they gave out quite a bit of fat, kind of a confit in the pan, as well as giving a nice base for the sauce. I trimmed the meat into bite-size pieces. Drained the fat, used leftover au jus, thickened with cornstarch in the pan, added the meat back into it. Then I put a ring of leftover vegetables, peas on one side, leftover green beans on the other (I like the beans, my husband likes peas), leftover smashed potatoes in the center.

Wyogal, That is just about what I did except (due to my lack of cooking knowledge) that I first cut the meat into bite-size chunks and cooked them in a skillet on the stove top. In a 12 inch dutch I used the leftover au jus for the sauce and thickened with water and flower then added the meat. It got real thick and I got scared so I added some beef broth. (When all was said and done this proved to be a mistake because the end product was too runny.) I mixed in corn, green beans and peas then topped with the mashed potatoes. Baked in the oven at 350deg for 25 min then topped with cheese and back in the oven for another 20 min. I tasted fine and even fed 10 adults with just enough left over for lunch on Monday.

As for how runny it turned out must have been due to me not taking into account the moisture in the vegitables even though they were drained. Oh well, live and learn:ermm:.

Back
Top Bottom