Avocados, ground beef and re-fried beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
Avocados are cheap here right now...DH bought some Friday that were 4 for one dollar. We've had them on salads and in guacamole, but I want to use them another way.
DH has been craving something with re-fried beans, which I have. I have no tortillas, but I do have corn chips.
I also have ground beef, canned diced tomatoes, rice, etc.

Does anyone have an idea for me?

Go ahead and do your ground beef (brown it, etc) with your canned maters and stuff, refried beans on the side with chips and then grill some Avocado's :)

Grilled Avocado's

Select a mostly ripe Avocado.

Split in half and carefully remove the pit.

Rub both cut sides with a light coating of lemon juice...this prevents it from turning brown.

Spritz or coat the cut side of the Avocado with Olive Oil. Sprinkle with Kosher Salt or your favorite rub.

Make sure to oil your cooking grids, as these have a tendency to stick to the grill. Cook over a medium hot grill, cut side down for approximately 4-5 minutes.

Carefully remove from grill with a spatula, as they will be soft and tongs will damage them.

Serve as is or fill the cavity with salsa. A non-fat veggie style dip would be nice here, too :P

img_547438_0_2eaabdc9524a15b2e9a61fc0e29b197b.jpg

sounds good, Constance! I love all those things. Oh! that picture looks so appetizing!
Avocados are cheap here right now..
I have seen some relatively inexpensive (NOT cheap @ 2 for $3) and have wondered where they're from. surely not California (avocado capital of the world) since 3/4 of the crop was destroyed in the fires last year -- and not just the crop, but the trees as well. :ohmy:

Constance,
Peel and mash one avocado, add lemon juice and powder sugar... mix well and chill.
This is avocado cream, a popular dessert from Brazil.

Avocados are cheap here right now...DH bought some Friday that were 4 for one dollar. We've had them on salads and in guacamole, but I want to use them another way.
DH has been craving something with re-fried beans, which I have. I have no tortillas, but I do have corn chips.
I also have ground beef, canned diced tomatoes, rice, etc.

Does anyone have an idea for me?

YUM! Avocados!

How about a big juicy burger topped w avocado, melted cheese, tomatoes (& bacon, if you have some). You could drain the tomaters and incorporate them into the burger mix (w onions & crushed corn chips).

Or avocado fries - dipped in (beer) batter.

Cornmeal-Crusted Avocado Fries with Trio of Relishes

One of my fave avocado sites:

California Avocado Commission

I forgot one - Bumped into these yummy-looking potato pancakes (if you have some taters), w avos, tomatoes, etc.

Potato cakes with avocado, tomato & prosciutto

Last edited:
That burger sounds wonderful! :-p Unfortunately, I only have canned tomatoes, but it's definitely on my to do list!

Thank all of you for your suggestions. Kim ended up freezing the burger and cooking steak last night, since it was my birthday. Unfortunately, through no fault of his, the steak was tough.
Tonight, he's going to chop up what's left, and I may end up turning it into taco pie...you know, the one with the crescent roll crust and the crushed corn chips.
I'll serve it with sliced avocado, and jarred salsa.

How much powdered sugar?

Constance,
Peel and mash one avocado, add lemon juice and powder sugar... mix well and chill.
This is avocado cream, a popular dessert from Brazil.

This sounds delicious!

Back
Top Bottom