Bacon wrapped smokies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
I have a couple of packages of little sausages - often called little smokies. I went to a party once that served them wrapped in bacon. Some of them have some golden needle mushrooms wrapped around the smokies before the bacon was put on.

Does someone know how to cook these? I am concerned about the amount of time that the bacon needs to be cooked vs. the amount of time the sausages need (just enough to be warm).

Also, does anyone have any variations on this recipe? I have a 2 lb package of mozzarella cheese in my fridge....onions?

Pre cook the bacon to 1/2 done, then wrap the smokies. Be great on the grill, imo.

Get some peppers, jalapeno, and core them out, fill w/cheese (and maybe bits of onion?), plug the hole w/the little smokie and wrap in bacon. put on grill/smoker until bacon is done.

Get some ground pork, like you were think'n on your other post(don't use "monday";)) and mix w/the cheese. get some cream cheese, too if you can.

Thanks! The cheese idea sounds great...but as I think about it, most Chinese people do not like cheese - they have not been raised on it :(

Thanks! The cheese idea sounds great...but as I think about it, most Chinese people do not like cheese - they have not been raised on it :(

I did not know that, very interesting. For lack of an imagination, what about rice? Also, when it's cooked, wrap in a wonton wrapper or egg roll or what ever and deep fry.

How do I know when bacon is half done? If I eat it then, will it only kill me halfway?? :LOL:

Pre cook the bacon to 1/2 done, then wrap the smokies. Be great on the grill, imo.

Get some peppers, jalapeno, and core them out, fill w/cheese (and maybe bits of onion?), plug the hole w/the little smokie and wrap in bacon. put on grill/smoker until bacon is done.

Get some ground pork, like you were think'n on your other post(don't use "monday";)) and mix w/the cheese. get some cream cheese, too if you can.

How do I know when bacon is half done? If I eat it then, will it only kill me halfway?? :LOL:

No, silly, you'll only be on the toilet half the day.;):)

You worry about get'n sick and die'n, ie w/this and the salmanila thread........you must not be married.;):LOL:

No, just cook a bit so that it's still plenty flexible to wrap up. You'll know when.

I've done this before on the grill, and there was so much grease from the bacon, it flamed up like crazy. Keep that in mind if you plan to do them on the grill. Cooking the bacon a little first might help with that. But I wouldn't worry too much about the cooking time difference- the bacon protects the little smoky, and if the ends get a little too crispy, they are basically just mini hot dos, and who doesn't like their hot dogs crispy?

Hmmm...I like to take my little smokies, cut them in half and bury them in dates. Warm through and serve with coctail toothpicks.

When cooking something wrapped in bacon on the grill, indirect heat is your friend.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom