Baked Peaches and...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PanchoHambre

Washing Up
Ok so last night, mainly as an excuse to use my new (antique) CI Dutch Oven, I roased some peach halves in brown sugar, rum, vanilla and a touch of nutmeg... they were tasty with icecream but I have a bunch left! (about 1qt+ n syrup)

Would live an idea of a quick dessert I can make with them... I am NOT a baker so something easy and quick I could do after work... I do have self rising flour, milk and eggs on hand but not much else in the way of baking supplies....

FYI taste pretty good but could probably have used more sugar and less vanilla and rum

Buy a pound cake and serve it on top
Make a sort of crostini with toasted bread, cream or goat cheese, and the peaches on top
Pancakes with peaches on top, or crepes with peaches rolled up inside

HTH.

Ok so last night, mainly as an excuse to use my new (antique) CI Dutch Oven, I roased some peach halves in brown sugar, rum, vanilla and a touch of nutmeg... they were tasty with icecream but I have a bunch left! (about 1qt+ n syrup)

Would live an idea of a quick dessert I can make with them... I am NOT a baker so something easy and quick I could do after work... I do have self rising flour, milk and eggs on hand but not much else in the way of baking supplies....

FYI taste pretty good but could probably have used more sugar and less vanilla and rum

Bisquick, put the peaches back into the dutch oven, cover with bisquick and bake..

or better yet.
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup rolled oats
4 tablespoons cold butter (1/2 stick)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

In a bowl combine flour, sugar and oats.

Cut butter into 8 small pieces, and cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender or two forks until mixture is crumbly. Stir in the chopped nuts. Butter a 9-inch square baking dish. Spread peaches in the bottom of baking dish then sprinkle with flour/oats mixture. Bake at 375° for 30 to 35 minutes (top is brown off).

If the peach halves are still intact, fill the halves with mascarpone & top with chopped walnuts -drizzle w chocolate sauce.

Serve with French Toast, waffles or pancakes.

Make a smoothie with vanilla or peach ice cream.

Since it's not too sweet, you could use as a topper for grilled fish.

Incorporate the grilled peaches into a salad - spinach, red onions, walnuts, etc.

Toss them in a food processor & use as a dipping sauce for won tons.

Use as a topper or side with rice pudding.

Chilled Peach soup.

Last edited:
Make a dough, place peaches in the middle, fold sides over for a rustic type of tart. Brush the folded over edges with egg and then sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake.

lots of great ideas.... Thanks... I need to do something with them:chef:
I bought 2 bags of peaches...way too many just wanted to fill the DO!

If I am feeling ambitous... and I may its been a crud day at work I could use to work off steam.... do you have a recipe for a VERY simple tart dough?

Make a dough, place peaches in the middle, fold sides over for a rustic type of tart. Brush the folded over edges with egg and then sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake.

do you have a recipe for a VERY simple tart dough?

It may be blasphemy on this forum to use frozen dough, but if you thaw Rhodes rolls in the microwave and knead two together you can roll them out, sprinkle them with butter and cinnamon, drop some peaches on there, clip the sides of the "tart" into strips and wrap the peaches with them. They are simple and not too bad.

Wow thanks guys so many great ideas... I will certainly try out many of them because I often bake the fruits that are past thier prime so as not to waste them....

for these particular peaches I went with the mama's cobbler recipe as it seemed easy and I did not have alot of time.

the crust ingredients gave the peaches what was missing and they tasted sooo good... a litte vanilla ice cream on the side and :ROFLMAO:

I think I did a few things wring with the recipe (too much peach in too big pieces maybe too much liquid, and not letting the butter cool more before adding the batter) that made it come out less than perfect but it was still delicious (just ate some for "breakfast"... I have salad for lunch:rolleyes:)

Okay, now I'm scratching my head. You know us Mama's...always trying to fix things. :ohmy:

I always add my batter to the hot butter so I don't think that is the issue.

Maybe you added the fruit and juice too quickly? When you add it, you have to try not to disturb the batter any more than necessary.

Was it a large pan, did it cook long enough?

Anyway.............I'm glad you still enjoyed the recipe! :D

I did enjoy the recipe and it was really easy and unmessy which was great because I did it late and I dont have aot of space to work with right now. All I needed for this was a 1 meduim mixing bowl and a baking dish. I am definitley going to try it again soon and see if I can correct my errors

I was careful with adding the peaches but I think there was too much peach on top of the batter for the batter too rise through and too much wetness in general.

maybe it was the pan? I used a square 2qt glass baking dish maybe it was too compact?

Also I did not slice my peaches smaller they were in the halves as I originally baked them. I think if the peaches were in smaller slices the batter would have rose more evenly through them. I think the layer of peaches was too thick and too wet.

I used brown sugar because that is what I had but I cant imagine this would make a difference?

I wish I had taken photos of what I did.... next time!

Let's see...try using a 13 x 9 x2 baking dish...maybe I better specify that. It might (probably does) make a difference. Sorry!

Brown Sugar shouldn't have been an issue either as a matter of fact I'll bet it was pretty good.

I definately would slice the peaches instead of using halves. Maybe measure out the peaches and liquid next time to make sure it doesn't go over 4 cups.

Let me know how it turns out next time!

OK way too many great ideas, I think you guys are just going to have to submit samples so I can decide what to go with!:-p
:LOL:

Also don't forget the humble crumble - cooked diced (or stewed) fruit with the crumble mixture over it and put in the oven until crisp and brown. Brilliant served with hot custard! (Oodles and boodles of crumble recipes - Search - Recipes - Taste.com.au=)

And for a bit more upmarket - a clafoutis - dead easy. Batter over pieces of fruit in the bottom of a dish. Stick in oven. serve with cream. (Five recipes here for you: Search - Recipes - Taste.com.au=)

And peaches go very well with pork or ham, esp roasted.

My Aunt used to use peaches in her chocolate frosting for a yellow cake.
She would cook the peaches in a simple syrup (much like the one you used),
mash them up and fold them into her chocolate frosting.
She would generally make one of these cakes on special occasions...Easter, Christmas,etc.
It was a two layer cake.
I haven't had any since she passed away many years ago.
I might have make one in her honor....

Let's see...try using a 13 x 9 x2 baking dish...maybe I better specify that. It might (probably does) make a difference. Sorry!

Brown Sugar shouldn't have been an issue either as a matter of fact I'll bet it was pretty good.

I definately would slice the peaches instead of using halves. Maybe measure out the peaches and liquid next time to make sure it doesn't go over 4 cups.

Let me know how it turns out next time!

to bring back an old topic I used this recipe again modifying for my past errors and it came perfect. This time I used a bunch of plums that were wasting away in the fridge and no longer desireable to eat raw. Cooked them down with some sugar and a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg,,, the result was amazing! but the real difference came from using the shallower pan. Crust rose correctly and taste and texture were excellent

I'd make breakfast smoothies with the leftovers. But if you're not worried about calories, whip up some crepes (1/2 c milk, 1/2 c flour, 2 egg mixture), fill them cream cheese/peach filling or whipped cream and top with more peaches.

Back
Top Bottom