"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #11
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Lazzari View Post
Simple and beautiful, PrincessFiona60!

FluffyAngel, when I make my pasta with a jar of ready pesto, I always warm a large bowl for the linguine. I fill it with hot tap water, then put in the sealed pesto jar to warm it. A couple of minutes before the pasta is ready, I throw away the water from the bowl, pour the pesto in the bowl and mix it with some hot water taken from the pot in which I cook the pasta (the amount of water depends from the density of the pesto), then stir it. Then I put the pasta in the bowl, mix it and add some grated cheese: you can try your provolone. Usually I decide the quantity of salt in the pasta cooking water and the quantity of grated pecorino after tasting the pesto: some of them can be very savory.

Buon appetito!
Thanks, Luca!
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #12
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,161
If you have pizza dough or French bread - Pizza
Slice the loaf in half lengthwise, spread the halves with pesto, top with drained diced tomatoes (add finely chopped garlic, if you have it). Top with shredded mozzarella and bake until cheese is melted. You could add cooked chicken strips too, if you wish.

Cucumber and sour cream salad

Potato pancakes (w/ chopped onion, egg and breadcrumbs), topped with sour cream or sour cream/cucumber sauce.
__________________

__________________
Cerise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #13
Senior Cook
 
FluffyAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill
Fortify the jarred pesto and use according to the following.
Justplainbill : Thanks for posting this recipe. I'd love to make my own pesto sometime.
Margi cintrano: Thanks for another great recipe.:-). It will be savored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
Cook the linguine, stir in the pesto and add sauteed sliced bell pepper, leeks and broccoli. Use the chicken strips, warmed up and create a lemon sauce to pour on top. Simple lemon juice, zest, very little sugar and butter.
PrincessFiona60: Thank you. This is simple & sounds delicious - just how I like them. :-) This one wins tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Lazzari

Simple and beautiful, PrincessFiona60!

FluffyAngel, when I make my pasta with a jar of ready pesto, I always warm a large bowl for the linguine. I fill it with hot tap water, then put in the sealed pesto jar to warm it. A couple of minutes before the pasta is ready, I throw away the water from the bowl, pour the pesto in the bowl and mix it with some hot water taken from the pot in which I cook the pasta (the amount of water depends from the density of the pesto), then stir it. Then I put the pasta in the bowl, mix it and add some grated cheese: you can try your provolone. Usually I decide the quantity of salt in the pasta cooking water and the quantity of grated pecorino after tasting the pesto: some of them can be very savory.

Buon appetito!
Lucca: I will incorporate your method in with PF's idea, & tomorrow night's supper should be a success. Thank you.
__________________
Cooking = Loving in SC
FluffyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #14
Senior Cook
 
FluffyAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Galvin
I would take your bag of frozen pepper blend veggies thaw them and in a saute pan add your left over chicken strips and your sausage and heat it through and cook the pasta to your liking add the pesto then mix it all together in a baking dish top with the provolone and mozzarella grated and bake at 350 about 20-25 mins until cheese is melted.
Thank You for the idea. That sounds good too. I appreciate all responses. Maybe I will try this next. I don't know how to send those nice thank you messages from my phone.
__________________
Cooking = Loving in SC
FluffyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #15
Senior Cook
 
FluffyAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise
If you have pizza dough or French bread - Pizza
Slice the loaf in half lengthwise, spread the halves with pesto, top with drained diced tomatoes (add finely chopped garlic, if you have it). Top with shredded mozzarella and bake until cheese is melted. You could add cooked chicken strips too, if you wish.

Cucumber and sour cream salad

Potato pancakes (w/ chopped onion, egg and breadcrumbs), topped with sour cream or sour cream/cucumber sauce.
Your speaking my language with a Pizza suggestion. Only thing is, I don't think I have enough cheese. But I will have these ingredients on my shopping list for next time. Can you elaborate on the cucumber & sour cream salad?
__________________
Cooking = Loving in SC
FluffyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyAngel View Post
PrincessFiona60: Thank you. This is simple & sounds delicious - just how I like them. :-) This one wins tonight.
All right...most amazing it still sounds good for an off the top of my head, without coffee brain fart storm.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #17
Senior Cook
 
FluffyAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

All right...most amazing it still sounds good for an off the top of my head, without coffee brain fart storm.
Oh My Gosh Princess! That was Amazing! So simple & sooo good. Thank you
__________________
Cooking = Loving in SC
FluffyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #18
Senior Cook
 
FluffyAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Lazzari

Simple and beautiful, PrincessFiona60!

FluffyAngel, when I make my pasta with a jar of ready pesto, I always warm a large bowl for the linguine. I fill it with hot tap water, then put in the sealed pesto jar to warm it. A couple of minutes before the pasta is ready, I throw away the water from the bowl, pour the pesto in the bowl and mix it with some hot water taken from the pot in which I cook the pasta (the amount of water depends from the density of the pesto), then stir it. Then I put the pasta in the bowl, mix it and add some grated cheese: you can try your provolone. Usually I decide the quantity of salt in the pasta cooking water and the quantity of grated pecorino after tasting the pesto: some of them can be very savory.

Buon appetito!
I did need to thin the pesto and the warm bowl for the linguine was very effective. It was plenty cheesy enough. I added some fresh garlic and a little salt to awaken the pesto. Thanks for the tips.
__________________
Cooking = Loving in SC
FluffyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #19
Senior Cook
 
FluffyAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill
Fortify the jarred pesto and use according to the following.
I did add fresh garlic, EVOO, salt & pepper to awaken the pesto. Thank you for the recipe & advice.
__________________
Cooking = Loving in SC
FluffyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #20
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyAngel View Post
Oh My Gosh Princess! That was Amazing! So simple & sooo good. Thank you
YAY!!!! You are welcome!
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.