Butternut Squash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
I bought too much butternut squash the other day for a roasted vegetable dish and have a medium sized one left. Anyone have any ideas or recipes about how to stuff and cook it? I have some hot turkey sausage that I could use. What else and do you cook everything first then bake ? Thanks in advance.

I don't think I'd stuff a butternut squash. The hollow is small compared to the flesh. Butternut squash is similar in flavor and texture to pie pumpkins. It can be roasted until the flesh is tender and develops good flavor. Then remove the flesh and use as you would sweet potatoes or pumpkin. It is very good when blended until silky smooth, and then combined with egg, cinamon, ginger, nutmeg, sweetener (brown or white sugar, Splenda, honey, maple syrup, etc) and allspice. It can then be baked and served as a custard, or put into a pie shell. You can make spiced soups with it as well. Seasonings can include curries, coriander, cummin, salt, pepper, onion, garlic, etc. Or you can serve it as is with butter, and a sprinkling of brown sugar if you like it sweet, or with red pepper, garlic, and onion for a more savory servving.

You can add the cooked sqush to quickbread batters such as waffles, pumpkin or squash bread, pancakes, cakes, etc. Just substitue the cooked butternut squash for equal measure of pumpkin or other squash in the recipes.

I recently made a pumpkin cake that went over very well with everyone who tried it. Butternut could easily be substitued in that recipe.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Goodweed of the North

Over here and excluding for a roast dinner, pumpkins are probably most used to make pumpkin soup and pumpkin scones.

Thai Pumpkin soup is doing the rounds in the restaurants at the moment.

Also used in ravioli and then served with a rich tomato sauce.

Just peel, cube and boil it the way you would for mashed potatoes. Mash, omit the milk, add lots of butter, salt and pepper.

As far as I'm concerned, it needs no extra sweetening or spices.

Wonderful!

Lee

I bought too much butternut squash the other day for a roasted vegetable dish and have a medium sized one left. Anyone have any ideas or recipes about how to stuff and cook it? I have some hot turkey sausage that I could use. What else and do you cook everything first then bake ? Thanks in advance.

Here ya go:

Butternut Squash Stuffed with Apples, Raisins and Walnuts

Pasta with Roasted Butternut Squash and Shallots

Butternut Squash & Potato Gratin with Walnut Crust
This is a yummy Thanksgiving side dish.

Butternut squash-filled ravioli w butter sage sauce

Butternut squash (& sausage) lasagna

Butternut squash flan

If you are interested in any of the recipes, let me know & I'll pm them to you.

Last edited:
I tend to lean towards simple and I love butternut as a side dish.

Cut in half, scoop out seeds. Set oven to 350. Spray a little oil on a cookie sheet and place cut side down for about 35 minutes. Turn squash over and drizzle with a bit of melted butter, salt, pepper, and fresh ground nutmeg and return to oven for 10 to 15 more minutes. Awesome side dish for pork, chicken, or just by itself!

Nice thing about butternut squash is that, if it is not damaged, it will keep at cellar temps (50 - 60 F) for at least 2 - 3 months. Cubed, then cooked, then mashed, then further cooked (to thicken / dry out) with a little honey it can make a tasty sidedish.

1. get your favorite pumpkin pie recipe
2. replace the pumpkin with butternut squash.
3. rip into the butternut squash like you're a starved wolf.
4. forget about EVER making pumpkin pie again.
5. share your recipe with the fam on this board.

Soup is the way I go almost all the time. I add a couple of chopped apples as well, and use coriander as the main spice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom