Canned Roast Beef... recipe ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrillingFool

Head Chef
I got lucky at the grocery store yesterday....

Cans of Libby's Roast Beef for a whopping FORTY CENTS each!

I now am the proud owner of 20 cans.

Never ate it before in my life, so.....

Anyone have any good recipe ideas for the stuff?

TIA!

Serve with mashed potatoes or noodles or make hash.
Season with garlic, herbs and pepperoncini for Italian beef sandwiches.
Cut into chunks and heat with canned mixed vegies and a jar of gravy for stew.

I've never seen canned roast beef, only corned beef, chicken, turkey and ham. Let us know how it tastes.

roast beef hash with root veggies. creamed beef on waffles, add bbq sauce for bbq beef sandwiches, add to a rice and veg casserole. all kinds of uses.

The first thing I would do - go back to the store and get another case or two at that price! That figures out to about 54-cents/pound!!!

Just off the top of my head - you can turn these into such things as:

Beef and vegetable + barley or rice soup
Beef Stew
Braised Beef Tips
Beef Stroganoff
Beef Goulash
Pepper Steak Stir Fry
Beef Chow Mein
Beef Chop Suey
Sweet-and-Sour Beef (rinse off the gravy and make like S-n-S pork)
Cottage Pie
Beef, Broccoli, Rice and Cheddar casserole
Beef Enchiladas
Beef Empanadas
Beef Taquitos
Chopped Beef and Onion with BBQ Sauce sandwich
Roast Beef Slumgullion
Roast Beef with Onions, Carrots and Lentils (a kind of stew)
Chili

I also like the Italian Beef Sandwich and Roast Beef Hash ideas.

I'm sure there is also a roast beef, diced tomatoes, onion, and Mac-n-Cheese bake idea in there, somewhere. Or, a roast beef with potato and cheese grattan. Maybe a beef and cheddar twice baked potato?

LadyCook61 said:
I've never seen canned roast beef, only corned beef, chicken, turkey and ham. Let us know how it tastes.

It taste like a pot roast in a beef gravy. It generally is not as tender as a pot roast you would cook at home ...

Last edited:
Thanks all!
Sometimes it just takes a bit to get my brain in gear.

Just treat it like leftover pot roast, duhhhhhhhhhh.

Michael, I wish I could get more. The local Lowe's grocery store
has a section for discontinued and scratch & dent stuff... they actually
get boxes of it delivered!

The beef was in that area, and I got all but 3 cans. (Gotta leave some
for others, LOL).
I also scored some large cans of white meat chicken for a whopping 70 cents.
Ran the numbers, and along with some other stuff, I got $158 of groceries for
$48.00.
My best haul to date! :)

...I also scored some large cans of white meat chicken for a whopping 70 cents...

I was in Costco the other day and they were offering samples of the canned chicken that they had shredded and heated up with BBQ sauce. A good substitute for pulled chicken.

My cooking buddy made his first attempt at chicken and dumplings
using this Sweet Sue Premium Chicken Breasts canned bird.

It was excellent! :)

I live in a senior citizen housing complex and a lot of the residents are recipient of commodities canned beef being one of the many items they git each month and they produce some very good meals with canned beef. Check the USDA web site for info on canned beef

I made a Shepherd's pie last night using the canned beef.
Added a can of mixed veggies, some onion, garlic & mushroom
sauteed with a splash of red wine, and topped it with mashed
potatoes.
It was quite tasty!

Turns out this canned beef is a fairly decent gravy with actual meat
chunks. The meat was tender and moist, with not much fat.
I was actually impressed with the taste and quality.

Friend of mine made Spicy noodles with a can. He used Ramen
noodles, sauteed some carrot and onion, added ginger, red pepper
and soy sauce. Said that was good too. He sent me a picture; it looked
pretty decent.

Great bargain! This meat sounds like the perfect base for some home-made chilli.

Another idea would be to drain the meat from the gravy (I guess the gravy would add good flavor to a soup), chop up the meat finely and use it for a spicy samosa. I don't have a samosa recipe, but they're the tangy pastry-wrapped triangles which are favorite snacks in Indian cookery.

Margaret
ps, I just realised that the meat would also make a great topping on a home-made pizza. A wonderful filling for a toasted sandwich. And it would probably mince down to be combined with other ingredients to make beef olives. I think my mother used to make beef olives with a stuffing of sage and onion, so adding the minced beef to that should make a very tasty filling.

... heck, I'm Hungry :)

Last edited:
I have used canned roast beef and chicken. I shred it for tacos, burritos, enchilada casseroles. Good in wraps as well.

Nice score dude, don't ya just love it when that happens? Lots of great ideas, I like the Italian Beef idea but to be like ours here you would have to thin the gravy out with some beef broth. But hey, throw it on a role with sweet peppers and you are good to go!

I was in Costco the other day and they were offering samples of the canned chicken that they had shredded and heated up with BBQ sauce. A good substitute for pulled chicken.

I buy canned chicken at Sam's Club. I use it for stir fry and casseroles and chicken salad when I don't have regular chicken on hand or don't feel like messing with the other.

Back
Top Bottom