Cannellini Beans - too many cans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
I have found that I have 5 cans of cannellini beans. I don't even know why I have that many. What can I do with them?? I don't mind buying other ingredients to go with them, so any suggestions will be appreciated.

make some soup, add onion, peppers, diced ham, i would saute these before adding. use the juice in beans and add chicken stock if to dry. i often add cooked carrots, celery (again saute) put in couple bay leaves. add lots of black pepper. hold the salt, canned beans have lots of salt, as does the ham. and what ever herbs or spices you like. since everything will be cooked, just simmer about half an hour to get benefit of herbs . make some cornbread and chow down.

Cannelini beans are mild, so I mash them up and add them to things for nutrition and/or bulk. I made spinach dip with a can of mashed up beans, a can of water chestnuts, a pound of spinach and mayo and sour cream. It was very good and had way less fat than normal.

You can use them to make a sort of Tuscan hummus. Blend them up w/ herbs, lemon juice, salt and pepper and some olive oil for a really great dip :)

You can use them to make a sort of Tuscan hummus. Blend them up w/ herbs, lemon juice, salt and pepper and some olive oil for a really great dip :)

I do this almost every weekend for my tennis team. They inhale it.

I usually add garlic, capers and sneak in some anchovie paste.

try this

this recipe came from middie. It's become a staple soup at our house.

1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
1 pound mild italian sausage, cooked and drained
1 (15.5 ounce) can cannellini beans (white kidney), undrained
salt and ground black pepper

Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic
and sautee, stirring ocassionally about 2 minutes or until onion is tender.

Stir in flour, gradually whisk in milk and broth.

Cook, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil. Add sausage and the beans. Heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

White Chicken Chili, Turkey Drumsticks Braised Lamb-Shanks Style Over White Beans; Kale, Bean & Turkey Sausage Soup; part of a Nicoise or other salad. . . .

If you still have a can left - here's my favorite way to use cannellini:
Bruschetta with Cannellini, Roasted Garlic & Escarole
1 package escarole (or spinach)
1 bulb garlic
1 can cannellini
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
red pepper flakes

Cut off top of garlic bulb, drizzle with olive oil and roast at 450°F for 20 to 30 minutes.
Simmer escarole 10 to 15 minutes in salted water. (If you substitute spinach, it just takes a minute or two.)
Drain escarole and chop; drain cannellini.
Pinch out garlic from cloves and mince up; combine all and bake in greased dish for 30 minutes, covered, at 350°F.
Serve on sliced French bread, brushed with olive oil on both sides and grilled.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom