"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 04-27-2008, 10:29 AM   #21
Master Chef

My mom used to make carrot/pineapple Jello, with grated carrots, crushed pineapple and orange Jello. Drain the crushed pineapple and use the juice as part of the cold liquid. I loved it!

Here's a recipe I saw Paula Deen prepare on her show called Copper Pennies. I haven't tried it, but it looks good!Recipes : Sweet and Sour Carrots or Copper Pennies : Food Network

Old 04-27-2008, 10:29 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
interesting, I also am not one for fresh carrots, dh eats them fresh EVERY day. I make my own v8 juice, but the other 7 veggies are not here right now! Still am gonna try buzzing some carrots and prob some onions. My celery and parsley plants are a wee bit small..

Miss Beth have you ever substituted a little basil or spinach for the parsley...or do you use those as a matter of course......

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:30 AM   #23
Head Chef

If there is a food bank in your area I am sure they would love to take any you cannot use.

Or one thing we have done, even with non food items we did not want and did not particularly feel like having a yard sale, is put the stuff on a table in front of the house and put out a sign saying free.

Wish we were your neighbor, love carrots.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:40 AM   #24
Executive Chef

UB, spinach will work!!! My basil only have 4 leaves per plant. I have over wintered a nice spinach patch.

oh auntdot, I wish you were a neighbor too. But the only neighbor that will drive by will already have been given carrots. I might get 3 vehicles pass per day! (same guy coming and going)

There are no food banks here, I live in a very sparsely populated area
Old 04-27-2008, 10:42 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
My mom used to make carrot/pineapple Jello, with grated carrots, crushed pineapple and orange Jello. Drain the crushed pineapple and use the juice as part of the cold liquid. I loved it!

Here's a recipe I saw Paula Deen prepare on her show called Copper Pennies. I haven't tried it, but it looks good!Recipes : Sweet and Sour Carrots or Copper Pennies : Food Network
Thanks Connie, I was thinking about s/s carrots and had not looked up a recipe yet..Thanks!!!
Old 04-27-2008, 10:58 AM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
... no local shelters here, but I will contact the local ministerial association..
If you have any pre-schools or home daycares, they might take some for healthy snacks. Even if you had a small elementary near you, you can get alot of carrot sticks out of just a few pounds.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:45 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Pickled, grated in turkey/duck dressing, boiled with pork saurkraut and potatoes, fritters. Then there's:

1) Martha Stewart's Carrot-Raspberry Puree
2) William Sonoma (Thanksgiving & Christmas) Glazed carrots
and parsnips
3) The Joy of Eating Natural Foods - Agnes Toms ; Carrot Loaf
4) Down on the Farm Cookbook - Helen Worth;Honey Carrot
Marmalade

Give it to some local vets. they can grind up and add to dog, cat, horse - all kinds of feed. Or local restaurants.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:58 PM   #28
Executive Chef

I found another recipe in a little book called;

New York Cook Book - by Golden West Publishers 2003

Creamy Carrot Casserole

(trivia from the book: The first all-electric house was built in Schenectady in 1903 / state motto - Excelsior (ever upward) /
subway opened Oct. 27, 1904 - today,468 subway stations with 5,811 trains that run 1,000,000 miles a day (2003) / the borough of Manhattan is 13 1/2 miles long, 2 1/3 miles wide / Central park is 840 acres / an italian immirant named Gennaro Lombardi opened the 1st pizzeria in the U.S. in 1895 in N.Y.C. / 1/3 of all battles from the Revolutionary War were fought in N.Y. / N.Y. is the 3rd largest dairy state in the U.S. / between 1892 and 1924 Ellis Island processed 12 BILLION immigrant. New
(2003) website est. to search for family records for that time period is ellisislandrecords.org
Old 04-27-2008, 05:36 PM   #29
Master Chef

WOW, 61lbs. I think all the bases for uses have been covered, canning juicing baking etc, but what about the dangers of eating to many?
You could turn orange, or start growing ears and a fluffy tail.... not good.
Feed some to the poor rabbit I say, give some away if possible, then can and juice most of the rest until you have just enough to do some baking but not tons.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:39 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Can you not prepare, blanch & freeze some of them for later in the year.