Carrots, Potatoes, and Red onions...how to use up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mk3_gurl

Assistant Cook
Good Afternoon everyone,

So the grocery store has such a great deal on these...that I bought lots. It was cheaper to buy a 3 lbs bag of onions then it was to buy one pound!

Tonight I want to make a carrot, potatoe and chicken bake. Basically the recipe said to pour some italian dressing over it, pop it in and bake :chef:Anyone have any other suggestions for tonight? How about for using the other ingredients? Btw, it's just me and my bf.

TIA :)

You could make a nice onion soup to go with it. Another night you could make a good veggie soup, just add some diced tomatoes and celery on top of the other ingredients you have, maybe some chicken stock as well.

you could boil and mash the carrots. bake the potatoes, scoop out the flesh of the potato and mash with the carrots, some honey, sage, s&p, and butter, and re-stuff the skins. top with a little more butter and bake to crisp. top with chopped red onion.

or, if you don't have russets, just make mashed taters and carrots, add honey, butter, s&p, and herbs. sweat red onions in some butter and fold into mash for a version of colcannon.

Last edited:
you could boil and mash the carrots. bake the potatoes, scoop out the flesh of the potato and mash with the carrots, some honey, sage, s&p, and butter, and re-stuff the skins. top with a little more butter and bake to crisp. top with chopped red onion.

or, if you don't have russets, just make mashed taters and carrots, add honey, butter, s&p, and herbs. sweat red onions in some butter and fold into mash for a version of colcannon.

That sounds really good!

Sometimes when I make mashed potatoes I will add carrots and boil them together and then mash together. It's a great flavor and great color!!

You could also chunk these three things into about the same size pieces and roast in the oven (drizzle olive oil, kosher salt, and balsamic vinegar).

elfie, you just gave me an idea. what about par boiling the potatoes, cubing them, chunking the carrots and onions and making a type of potato salad, with either mayo or an acid/sugar base.

elfie, you just gave me an idea. what about par boiling the potatoes, cubing them, chunking the carrots and onions and making a type of potato salad, with either mayo or an acid/sugar base.

mmmmmmmmmm - sounds kind of interesting! I vote for a mayo/acid base myself. The carrots are sweet enough. OK, what if you shred the carrots, mince the onions, and place the raw carrots and onions in a bowl and then when the potatoes are cooked and drained dump them in the bowl and just let them sit on top of these raw things - sort of cook them a bit. While they are sitting there drizzle some apple cider vinegar on them and let them start soaking that up. Then proceed to a potato type salad recipe.

Brown half a pound of hamburger...if put using an 8-in. dish otherwise use 1 pound for a bigger dish; drain. Mix together cream of mushroom or another cream soup with milk. Add an 8-oz. container of sour cream; mix well and season with salt, pepper, or whatever other seasoning you like. Slice or chop the veggies. Mix with the cream of mushroom mixture. Pour into dish and bake for 30 or so min. till done. Or, you can leave out the carrots and serve those as a side dish with butter or a glaze.

Darlene

i saw on the foot network, they made mashed carrots and rutabega ( with cream, butter , salt and pepper). I tried it and it really came out nice. The consistancy of both are similar, and the carrot added a nice sweetness.

You could even make potato skins as an appetizer and then use the insides that you scooped out for the baked chicken part.

Make a spicy soup by dicing carrots, potatoes and onion. Saute in 2 tbsp olive oil and a little butter. Add 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth, 2 tsp fresh pepper, 1tsp cayenne or red chili flakes. Simmer until veggies are soft. Puree in blender. Or you could do a curry soup instead with 2-3tsp curry powder as the spice.

How about a Carrot Cake and a Chocolate Potato Cake? Instead of potato and leek soup, make a potato and onion soup. Onion Bahjees would make a good entree to an Indian curry. Caramelised red onion jam or the same but with cranberries added. Carrots can be used in coleslaw, potatoes in potato and egg salad, and red onions in a Greek salad. Good to use in a tempura batter as well.

I have to go with GotGarlic on this one, A nice roast with the vegetables would be great.
with these vegetables you can make alot of different kinds of dishes. and they will all be
good for you ...

A great savoury stew comes to mind as well--throw in some peas and you can make a wonderful chicken, pork, and or beef pie as well. In the meantime store you great buys in a cool dark place (not damp) and they'll last a good while as more DC recipes come in

Back
Top Bottom