Cauliflower and Broccoli

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kezlehan

Senior Cook
Morning everyone. I have a whole head of broccoli and 3/4 head of cauliflower sat in the fridge doing nothing. I also have some sliced mushrooms. Could anyone help me out as to how to make this into a healthy soup or something? I hate to see stuff go to waste, and I'm not going to be incorporating them into any of my cooking today or tomorrow.
Any ideas would be great :chef:

(Sorry I'm a novice when it comes to just throwing stuff in a pan and experimenting, never know where to start!)

I made this last night, and it was so good! All in one big sauce pan too. You could do two separate soups, or combine the broccoli and cauliflower.

Measurements are approximate.

Roughly chop head of broccoli (cut off ends and peel tough skin from stalks first.)
Cut up and fry 4 strips of bacon, pour off some grease if desired. Sautee a small chopped onion in a small amount of bacon grease.
Pour a beer and the broccoli into pan along with the bacon and onions, bring to a boil. Add a quart or so of water or chicken broth. I used about a T. Better than Boullion, a kind of chicken broth paste. I also added about 1/2 cup of shredded carrot (optional). Add more water if needed.
Simmer till tender.
Add a 2 inch chunk of Velveeta, stir till melted. Take off heat and add more of whatever other shredded cheese you like. I used sharp cheddar.
Taste and add hot pepper flakes or hot sauce if you like.
You can use a stick blender to break up and smooth the soup, I left mine kind of chunky. You could also use a potato masher or blender.

For thicker soup, you can add some potato flakes a little at a time. You can also add the mushrooms, sliced.

You can do the same with the cauliflower. I like to add some mustard powder to mine, and leave out the carrots. It's really good with mushrooms too. I sometimes add a can of cream of mushroom soup.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Ooo that sounds good! I'm not familiar with what a quart is? We don't use those types of measurements here. Could you enlighten me?
Thanks for the recipe!

A quart is roughly 1 liter. Use however much water makes it "soupy" enough for you. I usually eyeball it.

Thank you! I really wish I knew how to/had the guts to experiment and just throw stuff in a pan. I guess I need a bit more experience first.

You'll get there! We all started somewhere! Experiment with small batches and limited ingredients, keep tasting, add what you think it needs.

You could roast it too! Cut in chunks, drizzle with a couple T. of olive oil, some salt and pepper after spreading on a shallow baking sheet, maybe some garlic of some kind, roast at 400° for 45 minutes or so. Turn or shake a couple times. Take out when they're a bit browned on the edges, sprinkle with some grated cheese. Parm is nice.

You can then make soup with the leftovers, if there are any!

You could roast it too! Cut in chunks, drizzle with a couple T. of olive oil, some salt and pepper after spreading on a shallow baking sheet, maybe some garlic of some kind, roast at 400° for 45 minutes or so. Turn or shake a couple times. Take out when they're a bit browned on the edges, sprinkle with some grated cheese. Parm is nice.

You can then make soup with the leftovers, if there are any!

I love roasted cauliflower - it's the only way I'll eat it plain! I just do olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast at 425 F about 30 -35 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom