"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative
Old 11-14-2007, 12:11 PM   #1
Master Chef
Cheeses, etcetera

St. Andre, La Eur, also 2 truffle butters, plus truffle/pumpkinseed/walnut/macadamia/sesameoils.
& silken tofu. some unnamed gal (me) cooked miso soup, didn't consume that soup, & now there's like 3/4 of that tofu.
my cupboards overflow, then i don't cook with half my ingredients.

i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:14 PM   #2
Luvs, can you give us some more info here? I have no idea what it is you are asking.

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 02:05 PM   #3
Master Chef
i've lotsa food & i want to make a meal before that food is rancid!!
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:29 AM   #4
Executive Chef
you can use the miso soup as a poaching liquid or condense it down as a sauce -always assuming you don't just serve it after each meal.

Tofu you can use in a stirfry with veges and your choice of Asian sauces - oyster, teriyaki, chilli, satay, honey soy and garlic, etc. You can deep fry it and make agedashi tofu which I think uses miso soup as the dipping sauce from memory. Crumb the tofu. Marinate the tofu cubes and add to a salad. Do tofu and vege kebabs.

Oils go off, so depends how long you have had them, whether they have been opened and how you have stored them as to whether you should even bother keeping them. If the oils are any good, you can add any of the nut flavours to stirfries or soups, mix in with you cooking oil of choice for an added flavour. Truffle oil can be used as a salad dressing.

Truffle butters can be mixed through mashed potato for a bit of a difference.

Not familiar with the first two items, although I assume them to be cheeses. If so, fondues, souffles, quiches - so very much depends on what type they are. A blue could be served over a steak. A creamy cheese, like a brie, could be stuffed into a chicken breast or into a rissole. A cheddar - well so many options!
Too many restaurants, not enough time...
Bilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:36 AM   #5
Assistant Cook
Hi Luvs,

The only thing I use the silken tofu is for adding texture to clear broth soups. Cube it. Its the kinda thing that its either you like it or don't like it. Sesame oil - I use a drop or two in the marinade when I stir fry either beef, chicken, or pork (slice raw meat should fill 1 rice bowl). A small amount goes a long way. I still have my bottle going on 3 years. When ever I use sesame oil in larger quantities, I use it to make a marinade for Korean BBQ short ribs/chicken. My sister-in-law makes a cold pasta with it. With the nuts you could make brittle candy with them. Macadamia/walnuts are good in baking cookies, cakes, or bread. If you like lemon bars try adding chopped macadamia to the actual cookie base. You could also use the nuts and seed for granola/trail mix. I don't use the other stuff and don't know what they taste like so I can't help you there. Sorry.
newfymom40 is offline   Reply With Quote